Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Block Sleeving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Block Sleeving

What options do we have when it comes down to block sleeving?

I know there is Golden eagle sleeves which seem pretty good with their warranty. But the problem to me is the price. If I go through a local shop and have them send my block out its going to cost $1100. Thats without any boring or honing.

Darton Sleeves, From what I know you have to buy the darton sleeves and then ship the sleeves and your block to a machine shop that will sleeve it for you.

Where did you guys go to get your blocks sleeved?

i know race engineering sells replacement sleeves. they cost somewhere around 40 bucks. thats the ones im getting. and then theres local machine shops that could resleeve it for me.
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Block sleeving is expensive. there is no getting around it. You could always try filling the block with concrete

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
        Block sleeving is expensive. there is no getting around it. You could always try filling the block with concrete

miss my turbo cb7
        moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Filling the block with concrete have been done before on a B18 from a Civic on Honda-tech. Not sure I would attempt to but it was an interesting read, they guy had no issue.

Comment

average price on a block to be sleeved is around 900-1100

just be sure to have a reputable shop do the machine work....last thing you want is to drop a sleeve while ur runnin the motor, Ive heard horror stories of this

Formerly 91AccordExR33
            11.68 @ 127mph
            417whp/375wtq
            Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Darton is a good reputable company. I think accordsir got his done by golden eagle.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

www.camp1320.com

or search on hondatech..guys have build your own block kits

Comment

Originally posted by 91accordexr33
                  average price on a block to be sleeved is around 900-1100

just be sure to have a reputable shop do the machine work....last thing you want is to drop a sleeve while ur runnin the motor, Ive heard horror stories of this
                  Thats my biggest concern, I dont want some one to mess up my engine. I want to let a local machine shop do it but the honda shops around here that have the experience in the blocks charge an arm and leg to sleeve.

And about filling the block, I honestly would do it but the longevity factor comes into play. I seen the block filled before and some people have major cooling problems, some dont.

I'm Planning to make this engine sreetable/strip. So there has to be reliablity in it.

Comment

The block honing/boring should come with the installation of the sleeves. If they're charging you extra, then you better go somewhere else cus their in it for the money.

http://www.importbuilders.com/

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Tom @ Camp1320 gets the GE sleeves installed pretty cheap at like 750, but then you have to have it bored honed to spec elsewhere, GE doesn't do that.

Benson uses custom darton sleeves and finish bores and hones for around 1100 through Laskey Racing.

I sent my last block to IB and had sleeves installed which were flangeless but fairly thick. I paid close to what I could have had a better set installed for and I had to have a local shop rehone it afterwards because a cylinder was small and out of round. Maybe it was a one time deal but they won't get any more of my business.

My next block will be sent to Golden Eagle via Camp1320 and finish bored locally.
                      www.roskoracing.com << Euro-R manifolds/adapters and H22 parts

>>check out my H23vtec build thread...
                      http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2030543

Comment

Have you thought about, do I really need a sleeved block? If you are gonna be pushing 300-350whp, i wouldnt sleeve. In fact im goin for 430whp, with stock sleeves bored out to 85.5mm (0.5mm over). Im not gonna do many 400+ whp pulls tho, mostly 300-350. But LoDollar was pushing 400whp+ on his stock sleeves for over 10,000 miles, until he melted a piston, nothing happened to the sleeves. I talked to Bisi and he says i shouldnt have any sleeve problems doing over 400whp on 85.5mm bore. But hey if u wanna be safe, and you are gonna be making 400whp+ and doing many many 400whp+ pulls, then yes get sleeved.
                        1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

Originally posted by aleks77
                          Have you thought about, do I really need a sleeved block? If you are gonna be pushing 300-350whp, i wouldnt sleeve. In fact im goin for 430whp, with stock sleeves bored out to 85.5mm (0.5mm over). Im not gonna do many 400+ whp pulls tho, mostly 300-350. But LoDollar was pushing 400whp+ on his stock sleeves for over 10,000 miles, until he melted a piston, nothing happened to the sleeves. I talked to Bisi and he says i shouldnt have any sleeve problems doing over 400whp on 85.5mm bore. But hey if u wanna be safe, and you are gonna be making 400whp+ and doing many many 400whp+ pulls, then yes get sleeved.
                          I honestly rather be safe than sorry. Yes I know the stock sleeves would hold up to 400hp but what differs is I'm planning to have this engine Last a while and still make power. And I do plan on doing over 450whp runs. And my later upgrades will be No2.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
                            I honestly rather be safe than sorry. Yes I know the stock sleeves would hold up to 400hp but what differs is I'm planning to have this engine Last a while and still make power. And I do plan on doing over 450whp runs. And my later upgrades will be No2.
                            Honestly, he has a point. When was the last time you heard of someone cracking an F22 block?

In the 4 years iv been on this site, iv never seen it.

I would spend the money elsewhere, like tuning. THAT will ensure reliability.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
                              Honestly, he has a point. When was the last time you heard of someone cracking an F22 block?

In the 4 years iv been on this site, iv never seen it.

I would spend the money elsewhere, like tuning. THAT will ensure reliability.
                              You guys both have good points. But there isnt anyone on here that have over 450whp and still have stock sleeves. I'm still looking into the sleeving though. I knows its going to be expensive but my budget for it was $1100 with bore and hone. Maybe I'll get it done for that pice.

Comment

Working...
                              X