Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Useful business or technology certifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useful business or technology certifications?

I'm completing my MBA at the end of May. As soon as that happens, I'll be on the hunt for a new job. However, I'm not naive enough to believe I'll be situated in a good job in June, July, maybe even August. I'll likely spend a bit of time remaining at my current job, broadening my search and lengthening my list of acceptable compromises until I find an acceptable option. Part of the reason my search is likely to be lengthy is because I have very little applicable experience. Most of my work experience is as a self-employed independent contractor. My only client was a law firm that is now out of business (and I didn't even have direct contact with them, so they're 100% useless as a reference!)

That brings me to the point of this post. Since I'll likely be continuing in my current job for a bit after graduation, I'll have some time to work on other things to improve my position in the job market. I figure I could potentially pick up some useful certifications during my transitional period. I have absolutely no idea what I want to be when I grow up. Seriously. Once I get this degree, my options are open. The MBA is very versatile, and I'm not dead-set on any particular position or industry (I have preferences, but no specific focus.) Since I'll likely be looking at middle-management, human resources, marketing, or entry-level executive positions, I figure certifications in business or technology applications could come in handy. I've looked into things like Six Sigma and Oracle Database Management (both are considerations, though expensive.) Technology can be tricky, though... since I have very little technical computer knowledge (I can learn, but some things are far beyond my grasp at the moment.)

Ideally, I'd like to find certifications that are potentially quick and inexpensive. Basically "read a book or two, then plunk down a couple hundred bucks for a test" sort of things. I know that means they'll likely be less useful... but I'm currently working for peanuts, and I may not have a ton of time to devote to additional studies. Less useful is still more useful than nothing at all!

I've been looking into this quite a bit over the last few weeks, and I plan on continuing to do so. However, coming to you guys for advice has rarely failed me in the past, and someone here usually has something valuable to offer that I hadn't considered myself. Any and all advice and suggestions are welcome! Personal experience is a plus, but not necessary!

Friend I worked with got her MBA, moved from call center supervisor to project manager at my company. Overseeing projects installing wireless networks at large hotels. Not a technical position really. So look into this.

https://www.pmi.org/certifications/t...management-pmp
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks! I think I stumbled across that a few months ago. Totally forgot about it! Hell, I kinda want it just so I can say "I'm a PMP"
      I wonder if I could use CB7tuner as my experience leading projects... probably not.

I just now discovered that FEMA offers lots of distance learning stuff. I'm still looking to see if there would be a cost involved, and what sort of official documentation is provided upon completion... but I figure that could be useful (and look good) as well.
      https://training.fema.gov/is/crslist.aspx
      (posting both to share information, and to provide a record... because I WILL forget... I forget everything.)

Comment

My brother got a 4 year degree in international law or something. He got a job as a project manager for a medical software company like right out of the gate. They apparently take anyone with a 4 year degree. Downside, you gotta move to Wisconsin and travel 90% of the time.
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

The PMI cert is pretty intense. Just the classes to prep for the test are insane. Something good to have for sure. There are a lot of projects that qualify as project management you just have to meet the guidelines they set. I almost did it but ended up quitting Siemens and moved on to another company. Some companies will pay for you to get your Pmp.

"Ideally, I'd like to find certifications that are potentially quick and inexpensive. Basically "read a book or two, then plunk down a couple hundred bucks for a test" sort of things."

That is not the pmp cert at all, The people that I seen go through it pretty much shut out the world for months prepping for it.

Whats a good job? 50k-60? 80k plus?
          H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut View Post
            The PMI cert is pretty intense. Just the classes to prep for the test are insane. Something good to have for sure. There are a lot of projects that qualify as project management you just have to meet the guidelines they set. I almost did it but ended up quitting Siemens and moved on to another company. Some companies will pay for you to get your Pmp.

"Ideally, I'd like to find certifications that are potentially quick and inexpensive. Basically "read a book or two, then plunk down a couple hundred bucks for a test" sort of things."

That is not the pmp cert at all, The people that I seen go through it pretty much shut out the world for months prepping for it.

agreed ^

I've noticed that in the Software Development industry, a lot of people are forgoing the full-blown PMP cert, and go for the "Scrum Master" cert instead. It is basically just a single application of project management, the style that best fits modern software development. I'd imagine other industries, have similar more field-specific implementations of Project Management that would be easier to certify for than the full PMP.

Then again, since it is easier to become one, many of the developers themselves are getting the same cert, so you would be competing with other people who already have industry-specific experience. Actually my employer ended up paying to have the top 2 people in each department certified as Scrum Masters
            Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-28-2017, 02:10 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              I'm completing my MBA at the end of May. As soon as that happens, I'll be on the hunt for a new job. However, I'm not naive enough to believe I'll be situated in a good job in June, July, maybe even August. I'll likely spend a bit of time remaining at my current job, broadening my search and lengthening my list of acceptable compromises until I find an acceptable option. Part of the reason my search is likely to be lengthy is because I have very little applicable experience. Most of my work experience is as a self-employed independent contractor. My only client was a law firm that is now out of business (and I didn't even have direct contact with them, so they're 100% useless as a reference!)

That brings me to the point of this post. Since I'll likely be continuing in my current job for a bit after graduation, I'll have some time to work on other things to improve my position in the job market. I figure I could potentially pick up some useful certifications during my transitional period. I have absolutely no idea what I want to be when I grow up. Seriously. Once I get this degree, my options are open. The MBA is very versatile, and I'm not dead-set on any particular position or industry (I have preferences, but no specific focus.) Since I'll likely be looking at middle-management, human resources, marketing, or entry-level executive positions, I figure certifications in business or technology applications could come in handy. I've looked into things like Six Sigma and Oracle Database Management (both are considerations, though expensive.) Technology can be tricky, though... since I have very little technical computer knowledge (I can learn, but some things are far beyond my grasp at the moment.)

Ideally, I'd like to find certifications that are potentially quick and inexpensive. Basically "read a book or two, then plunk down a couple hundred bucks for a test" sort of things. I know that means they'll likely be less useful... but I'm currently working for peanuts, and I may not have a ton of time to devote to additional studies. Less useful is still more useful than nothing at all!

I've been looking into this quite a bit over the last few weeks, and I plan on continuing to do so. However, coming to you guys for advice has rarely failed me in the past, and someone here usually has something valuable to offer that I hadn't considered myself. Any and all advice and suggestions are welcome! Personal experience is a plus, but not necessary!
              First I want to commend you on doing the hard work to stay ahead and being competitive. I don't think you need me or anyone here to tell you how difficult and competitive it is out there in the job market.

From my experience its always a good idea to keep moving forward and continuing your education, most larger corporations expect it if you want to be considered as a candidate.

In my previous life I worked my way up from a lowly drafter to mechanical project manager/engineer at Intel. At the time getting in the door was relatively easy but as they became increasingly successful their demands went up too. During the dot com boom you couldn't get an interview for just about any job unless you had a masters degree. I don't think it has changed much.

The problem today is your competing with a global workforce who are not only equally educated and experienced but willing to work for less. This is one of the reasons why larger tech companies (MS, HP, Apple, Intel, etc.) have become addicted to the H1B visa programs. It allows them access to qualified candidates who can temporarily immigrate to the US and not go against the company's headcount. Most important for the hiring company they do the work for same wages they are paid in their home countries. The only good thing about the H1B program was it had an annual cap. Only so many visas are available per year. Now that we have a Republican party in power this may help you as they've run on the premise to keep more jobs in America... we'll see.

As far as experience is concerned I can tell you that many times (more often in smaller companies) there is a desire to fill a seat mostly based on experience. It all depends on different factors, budget & cut off dates, urgency to fill the position, the number of qualified applicants, if the hiring department has other resources within the corporation to recruit from... but here is the bottom line.

Yes it's good to have experience specifically geared toward the position you are applying for. But that isn't everything a good HR dept or hiring manager should be looking for. Most often if a candidate has the educational background, shows aptitude toward the job and is perceived to be a good fit based on their personality, background check, etc. they will get the offer.

In other words if you show a desire to work for a company, act professionally, express yourself clearly and don't BS anyone your chances are pretty good. The reason as I learned many years ago is it's better to hire someone who is willing to learn, smart, adaptable and more importantly not rigid in their thinking. This is the key "good managers" would rather hire someone with these essential qualities and train them specifically for the org than hire someone who comes in believing they are a perfect fit. Every company and org is different and each does things differently so while experience is good it doesn't mean that candidate won't need to learn how the new org want them to do the job. Stress that and a firm handshake (no one enjoys shaking a fish) during interviews it goes a long way.

As for certifications and schools, yes big companies who have their pick of candidates look at these but again the interview is where you get to shine and emphasize your other qualities that will be more of an asset to the org.

Corporations don't want someone with a mindset they know how to do a job only one way. They prefer someone "moldable," flexible and willing to continue learning.

Based on a NY Times article from 2012
              Code:
               http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/education/census-finds-bachelors-degrees-at-record-level.html
              The number of ppl with bachelor degrees is increasing and at the time reached a milestone "More than 30 percent of American adults hold bachelor’s degrees, a first in the nation’s history, and women are on the brink of surpassing men in educational attainment, the Census Bureau reported..."

So getting your MBA should only help keep you ahead of the pack... And remember, always network, network, network!

Lastly, don't overlook working with temp agencies. Qualifications for getting in the door are often times easier. And many larger organizations work with them so its a win-win for both the company and the hire. You get to opportunity to see if you might like working for the company and they get to see if they like you.
              Last edited by hiptech; 02-28-2017, 04:59 PM.
              My Collection:
              93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
              00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
              04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                agreed ^

I've noticed that in the Software Development industry, a lot of people are forgoing the full-blown PMP cert, and go for the "Scrum Master" cert instead. It is basically just a single application of project management, the style that best fits modern software development. I'd imagine other industries, have similar more field-specific implementations of Project Management that would be easier to certify for than the full PMP.

Then again, since it is easier to become one, many of the developers themselves are getting the same cert, so you would be competing with other people who already have industry-specific experience. Actually my employer ended up paying to have the top 2 people in each department certified as Scrum Masters
                when I worked for Siemens they had their own "siemens" specific pm cert. But they would also pay for you to get the real one. I was going to do it but then I decided that they didn't really give a shit about me or its employees and were just there to turn employment. It sucks once you get up in to the upper levels of employment because you can be gone faster than you know.

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut View Post

Right now, $50k is my semi-realistic target. I intend to find someplace that will provide me with advancement opportunities, but I hope I can manage to start at or around $50k. More would be better, obviously... but $50k would be ideal. My short-term plan involves saving $25k per year in order to buy a new house in 2-3 years. $50k is the point where we'd still be fairly comfortable even with that level of savings.

You're right about the PMP cert not being a quick thing. The more I looked into it, the more I realized it was quite involved. I may still go for it, but since it requires project management experience just to get the certification, I may not bother. My interest in obtaining additional certifications is to offset my lack of experience (which will already be offset by the accumulation of the necessary experience to get the PMP cert!)

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
                  First I want to commend you on doing the hard work to stay ahead and being competitive. I don't think you need me or anyone here to tell you how difficult and competitive it is out there in the job market.

From my experience its always a good idea to keep moving forward and continuing your education, most larger corporations expect it if you want to be considered as a candidate.

In my previous life I worked my way up from a lowly drafter to mechanical project manager/engineer at Intel. At the time getting in the door was relatively easy but as they became increasingly successful their demands went up too. During the dot com boom you couldn't get an interview for just about any job unless you had a masters degree. I don't think it has changed much.

The problem today is your competing with a global workforce who are not only equally educated and experienced but willing to work for less. This is one of the reasons why larger tech companies (MS, HP, Apple, Intel, etc.) have become addicted to the H1B visa programs. It allows them access to qualified candidates who can temporarily immigrate to the US and not go against the company's headcount. Most important for the hiring company they do the work for same wages they are paid in their home countries. The only good thing about the H1B program was it had an annual cap. Only so many visas are available per year. Now that we have a Republican party in power this may help you as they've run on the premise to keep more jobs in America... we'll see.

As far as experience is concerned I can tell you that many times (more often in smaller companies) there is a desire to fill a seat mostly based on experience. It all depends on different factors, budget & cut off dates, urgency to fill the position, the number of qualified applicants, if the hiring department has other resources within the corporation to recruit from... but here is the bottom line.

Yes it's good to have experience specifically geared toward the position you are applying for. But that isn't everything a good HR dept or hiring manager should be looking for. Most often if a candidate has the educational background, shows aptitude toward the job and is perceived to be a good fit based on their personality, background check, etc. they will get the offer.

In other words if you show a desire to work for a company, act professionally, express yourself clearly and don't BS anyone your chances are pretty good. The reason as I learned many years ago is it's better to hire someone who is willing to learn, smart, adaptable and more importantly not rigid in their thinking. This is the key "good managers" would rather hire someone with these essential qualities and train them specifically for the org than hire someone who comes in believing they are a perfect fit. Every company and org is different and each does things differently so while experience is good it doesn't mean that candidate won't need to learn how the new org want them to do the job. Stress that and a firm handshake (no one enjoys shaking a fish) during interviews it goes a long way.

As for certifications and schools, yes big companies who have their pick of candidates look at these but again the interview is where you get to shine and emphasize your other qualities that will be more of an asset to the org.

Corporations don't want someone with a mindset they know how to do a job only one way. They prefer someone "moldable," flexible and willing to continue learning.

Based on a NY Times article from 2012
                  Code:
                   http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/education/census-finds-bachelors-degrees-at-record-level.html
                  The number of ppl with bachelor degrees is increasing and at the time reached a milestone "More than 30 percent of American adults hold bachelor’s degrees, a first in the nation’s history, and women are on the brink of surpassing men in educational attainment, the Census Bureau reported..."

So getting your MBA should only help keep you ahead of the pack... And remember, always network, network, network!

Lastly, don't overlook working with temp agencies. Qualifications for getting in the door are often times easier. And many larger organizations work with them so its a win-win for both the company and the hire. You get to opportunity to see if you might like working for the company and they get to see if they like you.
                  Thank you, sir!
                  I do hope the MBA sets me apart from the crowd at least a little. It's not nearly as prestigious as it once was. In the early days of MBA popularity, anyone with an MBA was almost guaranteed a 6 figure salary right out of school. These days, if you didn't go to Harvard, Stanford, or a handful of other top tier schools, it's nowhere near as useful. However, it'll be way more useful than my current BA in Psychology!

Temp agencies will probably be a last resort, unless I can find some in the area that will actually get me a decent rate. The last temp agency I tried working with (this is about 8 years ago, I think) offered me a bunch of positions for $9/hr or less. I know it could be getting my foot in the door, but I doubt I'm going to be doing any $9 temp jobs that are going to hire me full time for anywhere near the pay I'll be expecting! Keep in mind, I'm not totally lacking work experience... I just have a decade of self-employment doing rather ambiguous work under my belt! I learned a LOT of stuff during that time, but it's difficult to explain how it all fits together in a resume or during a brief interview.

For now, I'll just be sending resumes to my top picks and hope I get lucky. Then I'll work down from there.

Comment

Yep experience is needed for the pmp, which some of the stuff you might think didn't qualify probably does.

What is your mba in? I know what your BA is in :P

Comment

MBA is a Masters of Business Administration. My focus is Strategic Leadership, but that's fairly inconsequential (I mainly just picked a concentration that wasn't heavy on finance, because I despise accounting! )

Comment

Working...
                      X