Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Balance shaft eliminator kit vs oil psi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balance shaft eliminator kit vs oil psi

I want people that have a balance shaft elminator kit installed on their motor to hit me up with oil pressures at whatever RPMs they have reference for. Thanks.

PLEASE STICK TO THE TOPIC, ANSWER THE QUESTION ONLY!!

** PM me balance shaft eliminator questions **

Example:

1500 RPM, 30 oil psi
    2000 RPM, 40 oil psi
    Last edited by HondaFan81; 02-05-2008, 09:53 PM.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Anyhow, I think that my high oil pressure issues are not related to this balance shaft eliminator kit, but the oil pump oil relief itself. Anyhow, I'm replacing the pump with something better. We'll see what happens.
    Last edited by HondaFan81; 02-05-2008, 10:41 PM.

Comment

I always thought that the HV oil pump plus the balance shaft eliminator kit was over kill with the oil pressure. It was always just choose one to use.

I would rather keep the balance shaft's and have the High volume oil pump. Some would rather eliminate the balance shaft and keep the stock oil pump. But it all evens out in the end.

Comment

People on HT that have done it on H22's have said it will increase your oil pressure a few psi. As for the F I am not sure at all since not a lot of people have done it. People have taken off the belt but thats as far as I have seen them go but not the complete shaft itself.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by jDmacCordh22a
          The balance shaft eliminator kit increases oil pressure, it plugs the ports that feed oil to the balance shafts and increase pressure. Your increase is normal.
          It may increase it some, but not much according to Bisi. Point is, you have an oil relief valve in your oil pump designed to relieve pressure at a certain point. It seems 80-85 psi max filtered pressure is normal for stock-based oil pumps (oil pressure measured after oil filter flow). My increase in oil pressure is NOT normal. That is fact in understanding the oiling system much better now and speaking with 4 very knowledgeable, experienced professionals. Too low of pressure is not a good thing, too high is not good either. I want to be in the 80-90 psi max in the higher RPM range (max 9000 for my application). I don't want this pressure at a lower RPM range where it is not necessary and not normal. A stock-based oil pump should be around 20-25 psi range at 800-1000 rpm idle range, Helm stock specs say minimal 50 psi at 3000 rpm, then max out at whatever the oil relief valve is designed for, which again stock-based should be around 80 psi. It is more critical for me revving to 9000 rpm to have the 80-90 psi in that higher RPM, for other applications 60-65 may be enough because they rev to a lower RPM.
          Last edited by HondaFan81; 11-30-2007, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
            I always thought that the HV oil pump plus the balance shaft eliminator kit was over kill with the oil pressure. It was always just choose one to use.

I would rather keep the balance shaft's and have the High volume oil pump. Some would rather eliminate the balance shaft and keep the stock oil pump. But it all evens out in the end.
            The high-volume oil pump is supposedly designed to produce more volume, but retain stock-like oil pressures and the TOGA specifically has an 80 psi oil relief. All this information was obtained by a Flatlander Racing tech (company that sells TOGA oil pumps). They supposedly test this unit in-house, etc. Eliminating the balance shaft does close off some ports that would normally feed the 2 shafts, however there is an oil relief in the oil pump that compensates or should if working properly. I think my TOGA is binding to cause high pressure. Especially considering on cold engine start-up it goes to 25 psi, then after about 30 seconds or so it shoots up to 87 psi as if something were sticking. Then, it remains in the higher end of pressure as the motor continues to run under all conditions, at no point does it go any lower than 62 psi, even at idle until I shut the motor off and let it get completely cold again, then the cycle repeats itself.
            Last edited by HondaFan81; 02-05-2008, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Just saw this thread, heres what mine did essentially:

Shot to 100psi at start up, around 1800 rpm, then slowly dropped to around 75-80 at the same rpm, and as rpms went down, so did the oil pressure. Once the oil was up to temp (Around 150) at idle (750rpm) it sat right around 35psi. As far as going up in the revs, I watched my dyno video and at 8400rpm it was fairly constant at 85psi or so.

It went up in psi fairly constant until about 4500-500, then sat at the 80-85 psi mark until we let out.

I'm running the b/s eliminator and stock oil pump for the h22.

L8r
              Turbo H23a3 build has begun
              01-01-2019

Comment

in for updates on what the problem was...
                www.roskoracing.com << Euro-R manifolds/adapters and H22 parts

>>check out my H23vtec build thread...
                http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2030543

Comment

After installing the Endyn oil pump, I still have higher than normal oil pressure, been researching to see what could be the cause of it.

EDIT: Read very long post on 2nd page.
                  Last edited by HondaFan81; 02-05-2008, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Keep us updated....
                    01-01-2019

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                      I still have high oil pressure, been researching to see what could be the cause of it.
                      I think it quite possibly could be the balance shaft kit. I think they plug way too many holes. That could be one thing to really look into.

Comment

I think it quite possibly could be the balance shaft kit. I think they plug way too many holes. That could be one thing to really look into.
                        Been on the phone off & on with Kaizenspeed as work permits today and through emailed photos of my installation of their product and conversation, I have properly installed their kit and they agree. Their techs told me that 10-15 psi increase is what they consider normal over the stock-like oil pressures of around 80-85 max.

I am leaving work now to further investigate my motor. It seems the condensation I had in my oil catch can is normal, so I'm no longer worried on that especially for this winter weather. I will still check the breather port and PCV port to see how much crankcase pressure is being relieved on this motor. Also, I will do leakdown to verify piston ring condition.

Regarding high oil pressure, I will verify with mechanical gauge. There is always the possibility my Autometer gauge or its sender unit is bad, perhaps even electrical interference (I have a 3 wire ground kit to starter, cyl head, valve cover).

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                          Been on the phone off & on with Kaizenspeed as work permits today and through emailed photos of my installation of their product and conversation, I have properly installed their kit and they agree. Their techs told me that 10-15 psi increase is what they consider normal over the stock-like oil pressures of around 80-85 max.

I am leaving work now to further investigate my motor. It seems the condensation I had in my oil catch can is normal, so I'm no longer worried on that especially for this winter weather. I will still check the breather port and PCV port to see how much crankcase pressure is being relieved on this motor. Also, I will do leakdown to verify piston ring condition.

Regarding high oil pressure, I will verify with mechanical gauge. There is always the possibility my Autometer gauge or its sender unit is bad, perhaps even electrical interference (I have a 3 wire ground kit to starter, cyl head, valve cover).
                          Can you remember how many places did you indeed plug with the kit?

What about filter and oil? What type of oil and filter are you using?

Comment

I checked the oil pressure with both style guages and they were identical.

I actually hooked the mechanical guage to my oil feed line for the turbo

It's worth a shot though. L8r
                            01-01-2019

Comment

Can you remember how many places did you indeed plug with the kit?

What about filter and oil? What type of oil and filter are you using?
                              I've heard that the k&n filters are bad for that. They filter to well, and raise oil pressure 10-20 psi.
                              01-01-2019

Comment

Working...
                              X