Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22/h23 "frankenstein"

Sorry if this is a noob question or in the wrong section

Wondering if theres anyone out there that put an usdm h22 head on a stock usdm non vtec h23 block and happened to see what kind of power it made. Theres a local junkyard that sells honda engines for $150 and I have a friend with a MINT h22 head, so I was just wondering.

I'm thinking this would be a neat swap for my civic next year
    Chris's Turbo F22 Project (SSAutoChrome)
    My 93 Honda Civic Turbo Project/Members ride page

yes it can be done. there was a prelude that was on the front of honda tuning recently that had this swap. i saw it in person about a month ago. clean swap and it was making some power, the car looked awesome too.

My Members Ride Thread
    Originally posted by deevergote
    You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Originally posted by mcdizzle
      yes it can be done. there was a prelude that was on the front of honda tuning recently that had this swap. i saw it in person about a month ago. clean swap and it was making some power, the car looked awesome too.
      Do you have pics of it?

Your car is faster, I'm the better driver

Greetz Erwin
      My last ride

Shakes and Fidget - The Game

Comment

I already knew it was possible I was just looking to see what kind of power it made. I can get an H23/tranny for $300 but the head is gonna cost a pretty penny, thats why I want to see what kind of gains there were.

Comment

BUMP cuz im intrested!!

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
            BUMP cuz im intrested!!

Comment

yea his screen name is rosko hes a member on here now to

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
              1992 Accord EX Coupe
              My FS Thread
              Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

You'll make more than a stock h22 makes, thats for sure. You'll def get a nice bump in tq, fo sho ho.

most stock h22's make 180whp-ish. Tune it and put some easy bolt ons, im sure mid 190's are in range.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by almostJDM
                  yea his screen name is rosko hes a member on here now to
                  Hm, cant find crap about his setup though

Originally posted by d112crzy
                  You'll make more than a stock h22 makes, thats for sure. You'll def get a nice bump in tq, fo sho ho.

most stock h22's make 180whp-ish. Tune it and put some easy bolt ons, im sure mid 190's are in range.
                  Was even considering ITB's for a nice change. We'll see.

Comment

If you're not banned, search on H-T.

Rosko is a new member on this forum, but a much older member on H-T.

Search through all the h/f hybrid threads. I think Pirate McFred did this swap. But I think maybe it was with an f23 block instead of h23.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
                      Hm, cant find crap about his setup though

Was even considering ITB's for a nice change. We'll see.
                      yooo! yeah I really haven't ever posted a build thread on there, but i've put together several of them. anything specific you wanna know just ask.

The only wrong direction i see you going in at the moment is just swapping the head. The H23 head has a smaller combustion chamber than the H22 so just swapping the H22 head will yield a lower compression. I know its been done and I'm sure it'll make more power than a plain H23, but IMO what you would want to do is run the H22 pistons as well to bring the compression back up. The only issue with those pistons with that crank/rod combo is the compression height of the piston itself. Its half a millimeter taller than an H22 piston so its gonna stick out of the block as opposed to being flush. Its not even really an issue, just something to be aware of if you're getting some crazy lift cams. That combo will yield you the extra hp over a stock h22 via more compression and greater stroke.

Other things you'll need...
                      h22 water pump, water pipe and t-stat housing
                      h22 cams and cam gears
                      h22 crankshaft timing belt gear

-Shawn
                      www.roskoracing.com << Euro-R manifolds/adapters and H22 parts

>>check out my H23vtec build thread...
                      http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2030543

Comment

Thanks for the reply

How much lower of compression? The H22 piston swap wouldnt be so hard, I could grab those off of him too since he has em laying around Any power numbers off of a simple OEM build like this? Let me know man

Dan

Comment

see with my accord i wanna do just like i did to my civic ls vtec so im wondering also i wanna swap a h23 in my accord and then put a h22 head on it do i need the water pump ect... or can i stick to the h23 one??

Comment

Originally posted by f20bracer
                            see with my accord i wanna do just like i did to my civic ls vtec so im wondering also i wanna swap a h23 in my accord and then put a h22 head on it do i need the water pump ect... or can i stick to the h23 one??
                            yes you will as well as the crankshaft timing gear. the timing belts are different between the two as far as the spacing with the teeth on the belt so you will need to use all H22 timing gears when you do the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
                              Thanks for the reply

How much lower of compression? The H22 piston swap wouldnt be so hard, I could grab those off of him too since he has em laying around Any power numbers off of a simple OEM build like this? Let me know man

Dan
                              Just ran the numbers...

With just a head change it looks like you would go all the way down to 9.3:1 compression.

h22 head + h22 pistons is gonna be about 11.1:1 which is a pretty good place to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X