Project car contemplation... ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project car contemplation... ideas?

I'm thinking about becoming your average Joe Dirt and putting a tarp-covered eyesore in my back yard I want a car that I can pick up cheap as hell, yank the engine out of, and reassemble (to a running state, hopefully...) I want the engine hoist and stand I plan on buying being more of an expense than the car itself Here are my ideas so far.

3G Accord Hatch - After talkin to Wikked, I'm convinced that these cars have kickass engines in em, and I LOVE the hatch. Not a fan of the rest of the 3Gs, but the hatch rules.

Hachi Roku - I don't know if I can find one cheap enough (certainly not with the dawn of drifting and Inital D in the US...) but if I can, a little RWD piece would be kinda sweet!

Mustang 5.0 - Yep... I'm actually thinking about going dumbasstic... I realy don't like Mustangs, especially the models I could afford... But they CAN be made fast as hell for pretty cheap! I know a guy who has a 92 that he got fairly cheap... looks great. He put a couple grand into it (wheels, exhaust, etc...) and he's already in the 13s. This is certainly not my first choice though...

DSM - Preferably a 92 AWD Turbo Laser. Like the mustang, I'm not really into em, but they ARE quick! Stock boost

My friend is playing with the idea of building a junkyard turbo system, just to see what he can do (and how to do it). I figured that I might grab a crap car (had the 3G in mind for this) to try it out in. I'm not only looking for a car to mess with, but a good car to boost

old mustangs are good to work on cuz they have less electronicsyou could mess up but they will guzzle up your gas like no ones business...i dont know about jersey, but gas prices in cali are high so i wouldnt want a gas guzzler...but how about a 90-92 civic HB? should be pretty cheap and you could always drop an f22 or zc in there and turbo that...plus its small and wouldnt waste too much gas

Originally posted by fizzbob7
    first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
    Originally posted by ACC0RD22
    no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
    So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

That's true... Civic hatches are decent cars.... they would defintiely need a swap though. I ain't playin wit no D series engine!

Comment

i always wanted to strip out a late 80's bmw. they are a dime a dozen by where i am. the only thing that stops me is the price of replacement peices. never really looked into aftermarket support.
        Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

I think the old BMWs have a growing aftermarket... but you're right. Replacement parts on German cars are expensive as hell! I think I might be going with the 3G hatch... I might even have the A20A engine worked and boosted
          I'm looking into it... well, it is being looked into, and I'm talkin to the guy who's doing the looking.

Comment

im saving my old F22 and im gonna do an at-home project buildup. its on an old engine i dont care about (if i mess it up) and itll be a good experience... same for you id probly try to find an old civic or 3g lude and drop that sucker in. either car could also be a project car for practicing body work, and i really wanna learn how to paint my own car.

i say stay honda the a20 3g or even a civic hb, both definately affordable, and both good cars.
            Last edited by cp[mike]; 04-18-2004, 05:05 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

yeah... i used to want to do a project car.. the three things i debated between were:

4g civic/crx: b series swap, turbo, jdm monster

1g eclipse/talon/laser - awd turbo def, engine mods out the ass

4g accord - just cause ima mod and they lots of potential

ppi
              DD: 1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe
              PC: *searching*

Comment

I actually thought about another CB7, but then I realized that I'd be spending too much money buying everything twice

I also gave some thought to an old Datsun. Some of those old cars can accept HUGE domestic V8s (as mentioned in an earlier thread). That way, I can have my import AND my domestic in one!

3G really sounds best though. According to my sources, I may be able to get a 400hp car for under $5,000... not including the car. That's half what I was planning on spending for the CB7 (which I still plan on doing...)

Comment

Just curious as to how this extra money came about to bring this project on? Or is it cuz your 4th gen is a DD now and you don't want to play with it?
                  HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

The CB7 has ALWAYS been the DD... I was just thinking it would be cool to have a car I could rip to pieces and figure out how it works. I don't have any money yet, but I always plan things way in advance. Hell, I was sitting in work in early January last year planning out finances for my swap... I planned on getting it that August. Ended up borrowing money from my mom for a May swap since my tranny was going.

The 3G hatch intrigues me for a few reasons:
                    1) It's cheap
                    2) Many of them still run, even if they're beat to hell
                    3) I already have a Chilton's manual for it
                    3) It's still an Accord
                    4) I've heard from a trustworthy source that the A20A engine is bulletproof, and can be boosted pretty high stock

Comment

Someone enlighten me on how come the A20 is so good on 3gees they only made roughly 90hp in a couple accords
                      Henry R
                      Koni/Neuspeed
                      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

my dream is to get a subaru from the junk jard. something with a blowed engine and body problems. a a 94-98 subaru that the insurance sell to the junk jards. i would like to fix that bad boy and then find a strip where i can rally that bitch. 4 wheel drive man. i would learn how to drift in it and i would probably drift it till the car getts all fucked up and i go to make more money to fix the car again.
                        i love it.>>> just a dream though
                        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

From what I hear (Still in the process of learning about it) the A20 has some bulletproof iron sleeves. You could boost that thing nicely, or build it and boost it VERY nicely... Making like 450hp on it. Sure, N/A they aren't much, but boosted they can be cheap and powerful. That's what I want. Lots o power for little $$$

I may be getting a motorcycle though... Gas prices suck, so that may be my project. I'm lookin for a busted one that I can tinker with... Learn how to work on it, and have a cheap ride. The only downside is that I have no health insurance, so that would be a bad deal if I crashed...

Comment

Oh hell yes! Build the 3rd gen! You never see nice ones anymore, so that would be kick ass. The A20 is a good motor, the block is actually cast iron, so they are strong as hell. Definately go with the fuel injected version though, you don't want to fuck with a carburated model, they are a pain in the ass.
                            00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

yeah.. ALMIGHTY 3G OWNER IS HEA!! BOW DOWN BISHES!!!
                              lol

3g has
                              cast iron block= bullet proof
                              iron sleeves=bullet proof
                              a friend of mine ran about 17psi on his stock motor with 180k ahahha.. before anything got crazy.. not to say that this can be done again because he did have his own created standalone.. but just goes to show how strong they are.. im contimplacting myself.. if i have the opportunity of getting my sisters cb7 i must part with the 3gee.. but i will be back again.. or just keep it.. and get a motor built by my friend..
                              some worth of mouth for u
                              the same guy i was taking about previously
                              pulled 200whp at 12psi and 250tq above 3k.. hmm.. 250tq. hmmm.. in a 3g hatch.. stripped.. with deevers big ass in it.. hmm..
                              sounds like FUN!
                              well yes..
                              not to mention.. u can use some 4g suspension parts..
                              if i stay with the 3g im going to be swapping to 4g coilovers true coilovers that is. full bodied..
                              but um.. yeh.. 3geez are strong cars..
                              not to mention u can make a hybrid outta the accord and prelude tranny
                              so that u can have the preludes gears 1-4 and the accord 5th..
                              CB7ers DREAM! evil laugh insert(here)
                              so yeh.. i mean.. it is a project if u dont find one down here near me.. rust is a bitch on old cars.. my 3g.. has no rust.. besides my hood pin holes.. THEY GOT JACKED GO FIGURE.. and a small dent i caused on the car.. but besides that its perfect bodywise..
                              umm.. all i can say to u deever is.. read up on the 3gee and talk more to me about it... so many possibilities with it.. and the kick ass part is that a20a motors are dime a dozen.. places just wanna get rid of em.. seeing as how the blocks are fawesome its just a matter of u being willing to replace the block entirely if ur lazy whenever u turn the boost controller a lil too far to the right.. bleh.. im dont ranting..
                              get back to me
                              3g gawd out.. hahaa jk
                              Attached Files

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Working...
                              X