Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting a car that has been drained of fluids for 7 years...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a car that has been drained of fluids for 7 years...

This isn't about my CB7, but it's not exactly platform-specific. I'm selling my 86 Accord tomorrow, and I want to get it started. The engine and transmission are already in crap shape, so I'm not really afraid of doing damage. The guy buying it is bringing a dolly to tow it home, and it will be nearly impossible to push this beast up onto it.

I want to get it started, but it's been sitting unstarted for almost exactly 7 years. I drained the fluids from the engine, transmission, and radiator almost as soon as I got it back to my house back then. It's been sitting dry ever since.

I don't need it to run well... I just need it to run.
    Do you guys have any suggestions for me to get it started? It just needs to back out of the driveway and pull itself up onto the dolly. Nothing more. The buyer can push it off the dolly when he gets home and swap in the good engine and transmission that I'm giving him in the deal!

I plan on adding oil to both engine and trans (hopefully... maybe not trans.), and water to the radiator. Possibly starting it in gear in case there's any difficulty getting in gear (only need reverse and 1st)
    It has no battery, so I plan on using a jumper pack to crank it.

Good luck! I hope it starts for you. I have no advise
    Last edited by AAPOQ; 04-28-2014, 11:18 AM.

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
    BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
    Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
    CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

Only thing I can think is starter fluid and possibly a lighter based oil. I would also, before trying to start it, put it in first gear/ reverse and rock the car gently to free up some of the moving parts ahead of time? (just an idea that sounds good - like back when we had super 'uber' lightweight flywheels and remote starts, we sometimes had to rock the car a little for it to start up correctly)

Good Luck

Pop vTec

Comment

meh, i did mine after 5 years with the same old gas and no major engine problems. I didn't drain it though, I just left relatively clean oil in there. The one issue I did run into is that the heater core got clogged, I guess from the coolant congealing. You shouldn't have that problem though, just make sure you set the heater knob back to Hot so the plumbing is all open when you fill it back up. You may want to use thinner oil like said above, and also add some fuel stabilizer to the tank, and maybe open the fitting at the fuel rail and turn the key to ON and let the fuel pump eject some of the old gas that was sitting in the lines that had no stabilizer in it.

Good luck

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Along with what everyone else has said, I would recommend taking the spark plugs out and add a drop or two of oil down each hole to help re-establish compression quicker.
          PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Put 2x4's under the jack points of the car from front to back and jack it up closer to the back of the car as high as possible and back the dolly under it. Put blocks on the jack and jack stands on blocks if you have to. I've done it. At least your car has wheels, I'd be damned if I couldn't push it up that dolly to begin with.
            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
              Put 2x4's under the jack points of the car from front to back and jack it up closer to the back of the car as high as possible and back the dolly under it. Put blocks on the jack and jack stands on blocks if you have to. I've done it. At least your car has wheels, I'd be damned if I couldn't push it up that dolly to begin with.
              rofl - tell me you didn't work for a tow company

.. but IF not having to start it is possible (great option)

Pop vTec

Comment

Put a socket (32mm I believe)on the hub nut(passenger side) with a breaker bar and pipe you can roll it up anything the wheel has traction on.
                No I'm not a tow truck driver but I can do jobs your local honda dealer has to sub out with a roll of duct tape and a screwdriver.
                Last edited by cb7 calling; 04-25-2014, 07:33 PM.
                ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

After you've filled the engine with oil, with the plugs out and fuel pump (or injectors) disabled, and after squirting a little more than a few drops of oil in the cylinders, first rotate the engine by hand (socket on crank bolt) to make sure it isn't locked up. If it rotates OK, then still with the plugs out, spin it with the starter for a while to circulate oil without much load ont the bearings and such. If it spins ok on the starter, then reconnect fuel, install the plugs, and give it a try.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Pull the spark plugs and put a few drops of oil in the cylinders .
                    Add oil to the engine and try cranking it by hand.if it still turns the you are good.
                    Add water to the radiator and fresh gas to the tank. If its carbbed add some gas or starting fluid it so it will crank over quicker and then it will give the engine enough time to pull the gas from the tank.

If it ran before you stopped driving it, I dont see a reason why it wouldnt start now. A series engines are pretty tough

Comment

Starter fluid and rotate block hopefully by the power Steering accessory pulley. Wiuldnt even bother taking out the plugs . Why risk any more than proper .
                      Last edited by 8ball; 04-26-2014, 03:48 AM.

Comment

I would just load up the engine with some oil, and load up the radiator with water from the hose. I wouldn't bother with the transmission oil unless you've got time to kill. You never know how far that guy might have to drive it (regardless of what he says; shit happens) and the water is free and cake to drain.

Comment

He literally had to put it on a dolly in front of my house Beyond that, it's not my concern.

Turns out it wouldn't start. Block is probably seized, and I didn't bother trying to turn it by the crank pulley. We ended up wheeling it onto the dolly, and cranking it up with a cheap Harbor Freight hand winch.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Comment

So which car is taking over as the lawn ornament?
                            Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Working...
                            X