GT86, FR-S, BRZ thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GT86, FR-S, BRZ thoughts?

Does anybody have one? I’m thinking of buying a late model. I don’t need anything super fast as that’s what the s-15 is for, but want a RWD manual for a nice daily. A loud truck that gets 14mpg isn’t cutting it.

What are some proven chassis to rival it other than the Miata? I don’t want a Miata (Sorry Deev). I want RWD & standard trans regardless..

I say this having only driven the automatic, but with manual mode engaged in an Auto-X situation. I drove an FR-S with the TRD suspension and exhaust kits on Enkei RPF-01s with S.drives.

They are slow. Granted, you'd be buying a manual and not an automatic, but they were always in the wrong gear and had no guts coming out of corners unless high up in the rev range. In a tight Auto-X situation, I didn't find it that enjoyable. Granted, with a manual transmission the car may have woken up some, because it wasn't that much fun otherwise.

I drove a Focus ST the same summer in the same style course and found it significantly more enjoyable to drive. I have also done the same style event in the NC Miata and found that to be go-kart like.

I'm sure the manual option would change things greatly, but the magazines aren't lying when they say they need more power.

If you can get past the interior, check out the C5. Better power, better MPG, removable roof unless you go FRC or Z06. They have their flaws (EBCM and steering wheel position sensors, especially in the pre-01 cars) but they can be an attractive package at their price point.

The interiors are absolute garbage though.

Comment

Well that’s a bummer.. Ill test drive one at the Subaru dealership then. I figured I’d ask opinions of people I trust first.

Might just leave the dealer with a WRX and vape

Comment

To put it into perspective, I was at auto cross 2 weeks ago with a manual BRZ (with some upgrades, unknown to me what they are though). Granted with all the mod's I've done to Lola and being a non LSD transmission, it was only 1 second faster than Lola on average. Once I get an LSD I think Lola will be better than a BRZ at autocross. I think they do need a bit more power, it sounded like it was struggling a little bit coming out of the corners. I know it's not the best comparison, but it does suggest that they aren't very much faster than an Accord with a good running slightly modded H22A1. Just some food for thought Chris.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I drove a stick one my buddy had. Keep in mind he was in the car and the A/C was on. I didn't mind the power, and the chassis was divine. Fantastic. Amazing.

If you can actually get out to twisty roads or tracks on a regular basis I'd go for it. If the bulk of your driving is sitting in ATL traffic or putting along surface streets, forget it. Something like a Focus RS or Civic Si would be better suited to that task.

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Does it need to be that new? S2000 all day. An AP2 even still looks amazing next to a newer car. They're the kind of car people took seriously enough that low-mileage examples can still be found easily, and for low-$20k's. I'm also seeing a 20k-mile 350Z Nismo for $26k.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Power is technically adequate. The powerband reminds me of the Integra GSR, but it does have a really odd torque dip between 3-5000 RPM that forces you to wring its neck in order to get it to move.

The chassis and factory setup are excellent. It's a hell of a lot of fun to drive, but I think they're a bit expensive for what they are. You're better off with an S2000 for the same change.
              14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Older ones are dirt cheap... I'm seeing '13s for $13K. A low mile S2K will cost a good bit more than that. Though to be fair the S2K is appreciating in value while the FRS etc. is depreciating.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                  Older ones are dirt cheap... I'm seeing '13s for $13K. A low mile S2K will cost a good bit more than that. Though to be fair the S2K is appreciating in value while the FRS etc. is depreciating.
                  I think the prices are comparable right now, but like you said, S2000s are appreciating so you're getting a chance at owning a car that you'll probably be able to sell for what you purchased (perhaps more).

That being said, you can still find high mileage AP1 S2000 for less than $10k. Enticing if you're willing to take a risk lol
                  14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

If you can actually get out to twisty roads or tracks on a regular basis I'd go for it. If the bulk of your driving is sitting in ATL traffic or putting along surface streets, forget it. Something like a Focus RS or Civic Si would be better suited to that task.
                    My best friend just bought a brand new Civic Si and I just got some seat time in it. He's already done the Hondata flash, but it's otherwise stock. It's fantastic...utterly fantastic. The seats are great, the driving position nearly perfect and one of the best shifters I've ever used.

It's a bargain at 25k. With the summer tire option it pulls a 0.97g. If I had a need for a commuter car, I couldn't see myself chosing anything else.

Comment

I test drove an frs back in 2013,aside from it being underpowered it felt absolutely amazing. Almost perfect...but then again,ive always drove 2nd hand clapped out shit machines and all new cars could feel like that lol.
                      Follow me on IG to see my builds/pics
                      dmfb919

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                        My best friend just bought a brand new Civic Si and I just got some seat time in it. He's already done the Hondata flash, but it's otherwise stock. It's fantastic...utterly fantastic. The seats are great, the driving position nearly perfect and one of the best shifters I've ever used.

It's a bargain at 25k. With the summer tire option it pulls a 0.97g. If I had a need for a commuter car, I couldn't see myself chosing anything else.
                        I need them to fix the looks, and I would like to see what the aftermarket does with the adjustable suspension, even if it's some kind of bypass to make it passive. I am disappointed they went with the 1.5 over a very detuned 2.0 (or at least something in the middle like a 1.8). I think it hits peak boost of 20psi stock. More power at the top is going to take a low end killing turbo upgrade (can the turbo even be upgraded?) or cam$hafts.

I could maybe do the Type-R if there were some way to put the Insight's bumpers on it. It looks terrible

Comment

I need them to fix the looks, and I would like to see what the aftermarket does with the adjustable suspension, even if it's some kind of bypass to make it passive. I am disappointed they went with the 1.5 over a very detuned 2.0 (or at least something in the middle like a 1.8). I think it hits peak boost of 20psi stock. More power at the top is going to take a low end killing turbo upgrade (can the turbo even be upgraded?) or cam$hafts.

I could maybe do the Type-R if there were some way to put the Insight's bumpers on it. It looks terrible
                          My friend had the Hondata flash which gives him 6 more PSI to work with. It’s git a ton of mid-range grunt, to the point If most situations unless you are winding it out, it’s plenty for a DD. He’s averaging almost 35 MPG and it can push you into the seat prettty well. It’s much less peaky than my STi was.

Honestly I think the suspension is again plenty for a street car. The rear wheel gap is less than 2 fingers and with summer tires can pull a 0.97. The CTR campers are actually cheaper than the Si units.

I personally like how it looks and found it to be a better all around car than the 2017 WRX based upon driving both models. It would be my choice for a sub-$30k car if I needed something to daily drive.

Comment

I can't remember who, but some automotive journalist source actually thought to ask Honda if all the Type R stuff could be swapped onto a standard Civic, and he was told yes. The only real difference was supposedly all the steps taken to make the Type R's unibody more rigid. So in the distant future, when scrap parts are at least as common as any JDM conversions are nowadays, the R's suspension and engine should all bolt up! And at least for a while, we should have access to the parts through dealerships and online OEM parts stores like Majestic (who have a lot of hard parts listed already; prices aren't bad).

I'm with gloryaccordy on the Type R's ugliness. I don't really care for the interior, either. I'm waiting for Mugen, Spoon, J's, maybe BackYard Special, etc, to release their own bumpers.

Cody Casale, who did the body work on the recent RyWire wide body Mugen S2000, as well as Big Mike's current front fenders (... and my custom Aero-R emblems ) threw together a quick rendering of the Type-R's front bumper with the big fake vents removed. He says if there's enough interest, he could start developing it for any model of the current-gen Civic. Here's his Instagram, scroll down a ways looking for a red front end with a black grille: https://www.instagram.com/casale_design/?hl=en
                            Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-08-2018, 08:22 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I think of the BRZ and its siblings as successors to the RX8 more than anything else. Underpowered, good looking, and great handling. The BRZ has the benefit of having a less problematic power plant than the RX8.

The aftermarket is there if you want to make it fast. But in all honesty, my Miata taught me that it can be more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car within safe, legal limits.

I get not wanting a Miata. 2 seats and convertible-only limit practicality!

Other options for decent manual RWD fun would be:
                              Mustang or Camaro (v6 models have been putting out 300hp for a while now)
                              Lexus IS (though you get what you pay for there.)
                              Z (I’m not a fan, personally)
                              G35 (I like them better than the Z...)
                              BMW... take your pick.
                              Benz (always wondered why the c230 hatchback was never more popular!)

Comment

Working...
                              X