Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rolled or Flared- Opinions wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolled or Flared- Opinions wanted.

I'm wanting to run 225/45r16s on 16x8s with an offset of +16 on a 90' coupe. I like the beefy tire look and tilty wheels annoy me to an almost apocalyptic extent so stretching and negative camber need not apply. According to the research I've done, this setup has basically identical dimensions inside the wheel well as the stock setup. With a 1.5 inch drop and camber correction I'm not super worried about the inside rubbing. Where the issues come is the new setup extending about 66mm outside the fender/quarters. Is there enough material in the fenders and quarters to Roll/Pull almost 2.5 inches? I know a set of 50mm flares is an option, but as I understand, require cutting. I actually really like the look of flares but I'm not too crazy about compromising the bodywork so drastically if I don't have to. Anyone else have this dilemma? I'm not willing to budge on the stretching or negative camber to fit either, I really like the beefy, upright tire look. Is this even do-able with a fender roll or am I looking at living that flare life?

Do you already have the wheels? Depending on the tire you use a 225 will be fairly beefy on a 7" wide wheel also. Going to a skinnier wheel will eliminate some of the poke, or you could see what different offset changes you can get away with to move the wheel/tire combo in further without rubbing. I'm assuming that you want such a setup for the handling benefit, SOME negative camber would help in that area and also give you a bit of clearance.

Comment

I haven't purchased the wheels yet, but 16x7s could be an option. I am looking for a better handling setup as you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Harriers Wake View Post
        I haven't purchased the wheels yet, but 16x7s could be an option. I am looking for a better handling setup as you mentioned.
        Most 225's would be flush with a 7" wide wheel, on my 8th gen
        I had Advan AD08's on an 8" wide wheel and they were flush with those. Consider that a 7" wide wheel is already and inch and a half wider than stock and 225's are 30 cm's or so wider than stock tire width, if you combine a wider tire (but not too wide or you could rub) with a better compound tire such as the Advan's I named you will definitely achieve better handling.

Comment

I'm going to try to find 16x7s in the proper offset. The wheel I really wanted doesn't come in a 16x7 but I'm almost positive someone makes something similar. It was a U.S. Wheels model 022 Daytona style rim. Typically, how pricy are the ADVANs? I may just buy tires now and mount them when I find an applicable wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Harriers Wake View Post
            I'm going to try to find 16x7s in the proper offset. The wheel I really wanted doesn't come in a 16x7 but I'm almost positive someone makes something similar. It was a U.S. Wheels model 022 Daytona style rim. Typically, how pricy are the ADVANs? I may just buy tires now and mount them when I find an applicable wheel.

mind you I was rocking 225/45/R17's, they ran me a bit over $800 with a tire replacement warranty and mounting/balancing at Discount tire. Those were like one of the top of their class tires at the time and I'm sure there are places that sold the exact same tire for cheaper but I just wanted them on my volks and I trust a bigger name store more than a mom and pop shop do handle $3,000 wheels. There are a lot of cheaper tires that will greatly improve your handling without going into debt and smaller sizes are cheaper per tire.

Comment

Thank you for the info, that's actually not too bad a price for the ADVANs. That Volk life is a little out of my price range for now though.

Comment

I've tried to look for Volk too and all I can say is its out of my budget.

Comment

I feel like +16 will lunch your wheel bearings. As others said a sticky 225 on a 7-7.5" wheel... with a reasonable offset like +25-30... should be enough. I'd also think about chassis bracing (3-4 pt strut tower bar, under body brace, 3-4pt rear strut brace) and some solid bushings to keep the suspension geometry intact, along with new springs/shocks obviously.

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

On my race car I run 15x8 +20ET with 225/45-15 and about 3-4 degrees of front camber, 1.5 in the rear.

They stick out really far, especially in the rear and there's no way I could pull or roll the fenders enough to fit.

At the last race the tech inspector said I need flares as a safety issue so I need to get or make a set of flares soon.

Can you link to the 50mm flares you mentioned?

You can sorta see how far they stick out here:

Comment

Apologies for not seeing your request I thought the thread had gone away. The link for the flares: https://www.jumdoo.com/product/50-mm-classic

Hope it helps and sorry again for being late. I see from the photo that the setup I'm interested in will definitely require flares but I think they actually work for the look I'm going for and I definitely think they'd look sick on your race car.

Comment

Working...
                      X