:idea: proposition for city for community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:idea: proposition for city for community

Something I have thought of for a while became a bit more clear as to how it could take place, and what benefit exactly it would be for the community, particularly the relationship between cops/firefighters and car tuners/enthusiasts. Basically, Ive been toying with the idea for a while of some sort of a drag meet on a public street, sanctioned by police, in an effort to keep people from racing illegaly. My friend was telling me how cool the cops are in Austin Tx, and even when ppl are doing crazy stuff on the popular 6th street hangouts that the cops don't bother anybody. I was saying how that sounded cool and how it must help the relationship between the police and the public, which gave me some good ideas.

My friend and I are going to try to come up with a good written plan, scout some spots out that could possibly be used for good 1/4 mi. runs with a parking lot nearby for everyone to be able to just chill so that cops and public can have a good time. The events would at least start out once monthly, and they would be fundraisers for the police department and some other form of non-profit organization. Incentives for the police would be that they would get to know people and people know and perhaps respect them more, perhaps even some respect for tuners like some of us who prefer track instead of street and don't like to be messed with just like we don't mess with them. Once we have a good plan written, we plan on taking the idea to the Dallas city council, and/or any other department necessary to approve such an undertaking. I am probably going to attend as many local shows/meets in the DFW area as possible to get the idea out and get signatures. The list would not only have people signing who want to use the opportunity to race, but also a second list of people (older, like parents and other respectable adults) who wouldn't be running but would support such an event. Meaning going to business owners/managers etc.

If the plan comes about and brings on any success, I will be more than happy to post steps and perhaps make a site with the information, encouraging other communities to do the same. Any possitive feedback/ideas is welcomed/wanted here guys
    My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Good luck with that, im sure it would go over great with the city.

plus thats why alot of the raceways opened up on fri and sat night to keep kids from doing dumbshit on the streets.
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

www.racelegal.com

its in san diego
      Last edited by stewie; 09-08-2006, 08:41 PM.
      ..[CB7][STAR]..
      MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

^^^^ yeah what he said but yeah it might work if you had a very large parking area such as a stadium parking lot or college campus parking lot but most places wont open their streets to racing. around here the motlow community college is the site of SCCA racing the first sunday of every month during the season and i know down in florida SCCA racing is held on alot of closed airport strips in deland and other places of interest. but good luck with your idea i hope it goes through for you

Comment

The idea of a sanctioned event it great.

It is most likely not going to happen on a street though, because there are too many liability risks.

You would be better off pushing either to use a local track, or create one.

Like previously mentioned too, you could try to see if there are any local venues that have enough room to do what you want.

One of the strips here in AZ has "Lights out Street Drags" once a week or so. They basically turn the tree off and use a flag person etc, to recreate the street racing "rush." It helps keep people who are timid about staging etc, from wanting to go elsewhere and race.

Unfortunately, the part of street racing that doesn't seem to have been addressed correctly yet, is its social function. I think the two main draws to street racing over a sanctioned event at the track are

1) the large group of people that actually spends more time talking than racing, which I don't think would be hard to recreate at a track

2) the "thrill" of knowing you could get caught.

Also, tech inspection, which is a good thing, rules out the opportunity to drive for a lot of kids because their cars are crap. Don't know why they want to race doo doo cars, but they do.

What do these kids do?
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Hmm, I know there are obsticals, and lots of stuff to sort out, I have had the thought of making my own track, but part of what I want or should I say don't want is an official looking strip with big light signs displaying 1/4 times making some look great and others bad. Just run someone for fun, like the joy of watching a porshe take off and leaving you behind, with the clock you just feel bad but when you are just watching the car it's motivation to want to be faster but in a positive way. It's just a different feeling. I a strip with a parking lot next to it for everyone to chill at. There are plenty of strips of land I could find that could be blocked off and not bother anyone. The drag strips are rather out of the way from the part of Dallas city that I live in. Ive seen a lot of people do 'ghetto racing' that quite frankly don't know anything other than gassing and safety flashing lol. If you wanna roll just to show off your rims, do that. Chill with the cops between running and watching people. Cops need to be there off duty chillin outa uniform, lettin people know after they've talked a bit who they are. It'd be a fundraiser event, however that the details of that work out. Not an entrance fee event. The details will come. My friend and I have a way of thinking up some crazy things together.The police could perhaps recruit some people there, aside from raising some money for the police dept and even the fire dept(which is needed). You never know, might take some people somewhere better in life than where they'd end up in another job, if they get a legit one. (not talking about everyone but seen enough to know this isn't a far fetched scenario). Heh, another idea, get the cops to come out with one of the cop camaros, maybe even an impala ss (seen, er, been pulled over by one lol) or better yet a vette to run each other just for fun like once a meet. No 1/4 times blaring for ppl to get ideas either. If we can get a plan in place before our current mayor steps out, I know someone who could perhaps help me reach her directly

Thanks for the imput guys keep it coming!

Comment

not really much to add other than it's definitely not going to happen on a city street. liability, upkeep of the actual street, business losing revenue and thus the city losing out on sales tax from the lost revenue, the inconvenience to the rest of the citizens who don't want to attend the event, etc. etc.

a local track or bust.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinspeeds
                Hmm, I know there are obsticals, and lots of stuff to sort out, I have had the thought of making my own track, but part of what I want or should I say don't want is an official looking strip with big light signs displaying 1/4 times making some look great and others bad. Just run someone for fun, like the joy of watching a porshe take off and leaving you behind, with the clock you just feel bad but when you are just watching the car it's motivation to want to be faster but in a positive way. It's just a different feeling. I a strip with a parking lot next to it for everyone to chill at. There are plenty of strips of land I could find that could be blocked off and not bother anyone. The drag strips are rather out of the way from the part of Dallas city that I live in. Ive seen a lot of people do 'ghetto racing' that quite frankly don't know anything other than gassing and safety flashing lol. If you wanna roll just to show off your rims, do that. Chill with the cops between running and watching people. Cops need to be there off duty chillin outa uniform, lettin people know after they've talked a bit who they are. It'd be a fundraiser event, however that the details of that work out. Not an entrance fee event. The details will come. My friend and I have a way of thinking up some crazy things together.The police could perhaps recruit some people there, aside from raising some money for the police dept and even the fire dept(which is needed). You never know, might take some people somewhere better in life than where they'd end up in another job, if they get a legit one. (not talking about everyone but seen enough to know this isn't a far fetched scenario). Heh, another idea, get the cops to come out with one of the cop camaros, maybe even an impala ss (seen, er, been pulled over by one lol) or better yet a vette to run each other just for fun like once a meet. No 1/4 times blaring for ppl to get ideas either. If we can get a plan in place before our current mayor steps out, I know someone who could perhaps help me reach her directly

Thanks for the imput guys keep it coming!
                That was the whole purpose of lights out racing. A flag person, a race and a finish
                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Yeah I mean, if the rednecks can go mudding in their huge trucks whenever and where ever they feel like, we should be able to do something too.
                  Where I live, they have a mud bog that requires an admission fee, and it's right on the side of the highway.
                  (RIP)1993 LX Sedan
                  Frost White Crew Member #36

JDM Beating Stick Owner #1
                  My (old) Ride

Comment

If you have any abandoned runways you guys could probably make it happen. The NYPD is so strapped for cash they'd rather let kids die/pull kids over and impound their EGs than open up something legal.

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

much respect for the idea its people lik you that can be more mature about the idea of cops and tuners and there relationship, most people jus complain of fight back in ways that are illegal but you find another way in a way fighting back but in a higher class way.
                      Cali.Dumps.Harder.

Comment

I remember a couple of years back that the races in Austin would happen at an abandoned strip of road...I don't remember exactly where though. The idea you have is great because Austin doesn't have any local tracks located near the city.
                        Always remember that only you can make your dreams a reality.

Never forget that your style is all that matters when it comes to your ride, but be respectful to others who don't share your vision.

Proud Alum of the University of Texas at Tyler, Class of 2010

Comment

yeah I mean I'm in the hood somewhat and near it for sure and it's not necessarily about just tuners there are a lot of ghetto cars that wanna run me, then they go about swooping between lanes showing off like all the videos they watch lol... but I hear all the input how there are things that some cities have but that's not quite my idea... I'm talkin about something that is free to get in, showing off is half of the idea b/c I want parkin lot chillin to happen w/the cops intermingling, preferably a lot of them not on the clock not in uniform just chillin. So they can be known as cool people. ya dig? lol

Comment

i think this is a great idea... exspesaly since the closest track is bout 3 hours away. id rather street race illegaly insted of driving 3 houres just to race till midnight and have to drive 3 houres back home... thats 6 houres of just driving their and back, screw that!...... this is why the whole idea was brought up in the first place!... if their was a track close by id go to it, but theirs not one. so what do i do? i street race! and also... larger cities could hold a curcit race down town once a month.. id do it on a saturday night and sunday during the day... nothen downtown is open on a sunday anyway..

i grew up in Wichita KS, and the closest track wasnt far away but you had to go down a harsh dirt road to get to it, thats y people would rather street race.. and for the curcit racing, downtown Wichita would be purfect for it... infact just by looking at the layout of the streets id almost garintee that they used to have curcit racing downtown... it looks like it was built like a track
                            white 92 ACCORD 4 door ----- dead and gone
                            tytianum grey 02 ECLIPSE GT- alive and well

Comment

No one may have seen this, but in a town in Tennessee they where having a LEGAL event with Corvettes doing races and burnouts and one driver lost control and killed a few people and injured many more.

Good luck trying to get something together though

Originally posted by Maple50175
                              Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Working...
                              X