Question about Clutch fluid resevoir leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Clutch fluid resevoir leak

So I'm having an issue with wetness/fluid build up around the lip of my clutch fluid reservoir. I have noticed the issue for a while now and I can't figure out what it could be. I replaced the CMC (for an unrelated issue) and figured that possibly pressure was building up in the reservoir from a leaking seal in the CMC (just a theory) and causing the cap to lift slightly.

After replacing the CMC I still had the issue so I went ahead and replaced the 25+ year old reservoir and cap with brand new oem ones. I am STILL having wetness build up around the plastic lip that is underneath the cap. What else could cause this?

How high is the fluid level? As you drive, the fluid is going to slosh around some. Are the temperatures fluctuating quite a bit? Being a closed system, any air in the reservoir (and anywhere else in the system it might be) is going to expand and contract with changing temperature. Are you saying the fluid is getting past the cap seal?
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      How high is the fluid level? As you drive, the fluid is going to slosh around some. Are the temperatures fluctuating quite a bit? Being a closed system, any air in the reservoir (and anywhere else in the system it might be) is going to expand and contract with changing temperature. Are you saying the fluid is getting past the cap seal?
      When I changed the CMC and again when I changed the reservoir I filled it to the "full" mark. I also bled the system both times. Which temperatures are you talking about? Yes I suspect that fluid is somehow pushing past the cap and getting on the outside of the reservoir.

I am only seeing fluid on the reservoir itself, the lines and CMC are dry so I know I don't have any kind of leak that is spraying up onto the reservoir. I did note that the fluid is a bit browner than my brake fluid which was changed a good bit before even doing the CMC replacement. That leads me to believe I'm getting contamination from somewhere, possibly the cap not sealing. That would explain that and my leaking issue. Is there an additional rubber gasket that goes between the cap and reservoir besides the o-ring that comes installed on the cap?
      Last edited by Bunta; 03-25-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Just talking about the temperature of the bit of air at the top of the reservoir. Overnight it cools to ambient temperature. When driving, heat under the hood will warm it up. I think the o-ring is the only seal. How well did you bleed, just to get the system working or did you attempt to flush clean fluid all the way through?
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          Just talking about the temperature of the bit of air at the top of the reservoir. Overnight it cools to ambient temperature. When driving, heat under the hood will warm it up. I think the o-ring is the only seal. How well did you bleed, just to get the system working or did you attempt to flush clean fluid all the way through?

I bled until the fluid coming out of the slave cylinder bleeder screw was the same color as the fluid coming out of the brand new brake fluid bottle. I may try an extended session of bleeding (along with making sure the slave cylinder arm extends all the way during bleeding) to make sure the system is completely bled. I have bled clutches and brakes before numerous times so I'm sure I'm competent at doing so but in the interest of eliminating causes of my issue I'll try it again.

for what it's worth I have another thought, I eliminated the "clutch damper" when I installed my tuck line, while I'm not sure exactly what it does I know that all the tuck lines I've seen go straight from the CMC to the slave cylinder.
          Last edited by Bunta; 03-25-2018, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Removing the damper may make the system stiffer (it may have better absorbed pressure fluctuation from temperature changes). I'll have to see if the OEM manual says much about how the damper works.

Comment

Working...
            X