No announcement yet.

HEAD SWAP: F22B DOHC on F22A1 BLOCK .. PICS**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i used the gsr belt on mine worked like a champ.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I wanna do this but I can't find the jdm f22b head. What I would do if I ever got one is mill the head a little to make more compression so I could use the P39 ecu to its full potential.

They're rare to come buy I suppose, if anyone has one pm me. Maybe better off swaping the whole engine though.
      “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
      ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

Originally posted by Mishakol129 View Post
        I wanna do this but I can't find the jdm f22b head. What I would do if I ever got one is mill the head a little to make more compression so I could use the P39 ecu to its full potential.

They're rare to come buy I suppose, if anyone has one pm me. Maybe better off swaping the whole engine though.
        just order the whole motor and make 2 motors lol.. they're very cheap so might as well get the motor.. you can save one or build one long term

93 accord coupe lxr
        10 fusion se slammed

Comment

Agreed. The whole motor is easy enough to find, and it's dirt cheap. Milling the head is dumb... throws valve timing off, and renders the head useless if you ever warp it due to overheating (a blown head gasket could do this easily.)

The F22B head fits perfectly, but why bother doing it when the F22B itself is so cheap and easy to obtain and install?

Comment

There is really no point in swapping out a whole motor or even a head for 20hp unless your F22A is dead. You could achieve that goal for less money with bolt-ons, a bigger cam, and a tune. Engine swap sounds like fun until you are doing it.

Remember to look at your mounts, stock squishy torn mounts will hurt your power transfer, Get some ESP mounts or fill your stock mounts.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I wish I hadn't lost my F22B DOHC head that I had now...SMH...
              The CB7 Collector.
              Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
              92 LX Coupe F22A1
              2013 Toyota Corolla S
              92 EX Sedan F22A1
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Would this work with a h23a1 head or does it have to be a f22b?

Comment

Originally posted by cb7_530 View Post
                  Would this work with a h23a1 head or does it have to be a f22b?
                  Has to be the F22B PT2 head. You can use the H23A1 head, but it'd not 100% bolt on. Ports don't match up, it's doable but it's a hack job.
                  1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                    Has to be the F22B PT2 head. You can use the H23A1 head, but it'd not 100% bolt on. Ports don't match up, it's doable but it's a hack job.
                    Okay thanks for clearing that up!

Comment

And the bore is bigger on a H23 too if memory serves as well. Deff alot more work for such a gain.
                      The CB7 Collector.
                      Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                      92 LX Coupe F22A1
                      2013 Toyota Corolla S
                      92 EX Sedan F22A1
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

So this swap isn't all that worth it? I don't get it how this can get you any gains at all if you compression ratio isn't increased. And you can't run the P39 ECU either unless you up the compression with a thinner head gasket (do they even make those for our engines?). I was thinking about doing this swap only because I need a new head gasket and if the head is off why not change it for the dohc. But if I don't raise the compression then what's the point, little or no gains to be made. Maybe it will feel faster but I would doubt it actually will be. Dohc vs Sohc is not that different, not like dohc makes it faster. What makes the F22b dohc faster is the raised compression... Am I right or am i right?
                        “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
                        ― Jeremy Clarkson

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Comment

There is really no point in swapping out a whole motor or even a head for 20hp unless your F22A is dead. You could achieve that goal for less money with bolt-ons, a bigger cam, and a tune. Engine swap sounds like fun until you are doing it.

Remember to look at your mounts, stock squishy torn mounts will hurt your power transfer, Get some ESP mounts or fill your stock mounts.
                          Yeah the F22 I got is healthy, that's the thing. The f22b dohc in my opinion is a baby H22a not really worth the swap from a healthy F engine. A healthy H22a would be though.

I have a question though, has anything ever ran a P39 ecu in an F22a and noticed any gains? I am having a hard to learning how to get an ecu tune at a reasonable price and an assured quality.
                          ― Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Mishakol129 View Post
                            So this swap isn't all that worth it? I don't get it how this can get you any gains at all if you compression ratio isn't increased. And you can't run the P39 ECU either unless you up the compression with a thinner head gasket (do they even make those for our engines?). I was thinking about doing this swap only because I need a new head gasket and if the head is off why not change it for the dohc. But if I don't raise the compression then what's the point, little or no gains to be made. Maybe it will feel faster but I would doubt it actually will be. Dohc vs Sohc is not that different, not like dohc makes it faster. What makes the F22b dohc faster is the raised compression... Am I right or am i right?

DOHC cylinder heads tend to flow better and have better control of valve timing since there is a dedicated cam to the intake and exhaust. Yeah, they do move air more efficiently.

Does that equate to more power? Who knows. Its an engineering crap shoot. Some companies make a better flowing SOHC engine.

Others, DOHC or bust.

In this scenario, yes I do think DOHC would equate to more HP. Why? HP is a measure of how frequently torque is reproduced. Its easier for an engine to breath with two cams, you get better valve timing/valve overlap control. So, HP would most likely increase but tq wouldn't do shit.

Food for thought.

As previously mentioned, it would be pointless for 20hp because you can get that out of the f22a with a cam, header and intake changes + tune.

What happens when you change a cam, header and intake though? The engine flows better-right? So, there you go. No point in swapping when you can just bolt on some shit and go and get the same results.
                            Originally posted by wed3k
                            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

But you could swap the head for 20hp, and THEN add cams, intake, header, and a tune

A P39 ECU could be used with such a swap. It just won't be 100% right. The lower compression will cause the gain to be less than 20hp, obviously. I'd be curious to see exactly what the compression ratio ends up being, as the head can have an impact on that as well. An engine's compression ratio is not just a function of the pistons.

Also, it's arguable that DOHC flows better than SOHC. In most cases, probably. In bone-stock applications, also probably. But I do believe Bisi (you can take his word as you will...) said that a modified F22A head can outflow a modified DOHC VTEC head, be it B18 or H22. Port design and valve angle come into play. Stuffing 2 cams into a head, along with all the hardware and mounting points, can reduce area in which to plumb effective ports.

Regardless, the flow capabilities of modified heads are beyond the needs of most average tuners anyway. A street car will never see such limits... and some restriction is actually useful to keep the powerband in a useful RPM range.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                                But you could swap the head for 20hp, and THEN add cams, intake, header, and a tune

A P39 ECU could be used with such a swap. It just won't be 100% right. The lower compression will cause the gain to be less than 20hp, obviously. I'd be curious to see exactly what the compression ratio ends up being, as the head can have an impact on that as well. An engine's compression ratio is not just a function of the pistons.

Also, it's arguable that DOHC flows better than SOHC. In most cases, probably. In bone-stock applications, also probably. But I do believe Bisi (you can take his word as you will...) said that a modified F22A head can outflow a modified DOHC VTEC head, be it B18 or H22. Port design and valve angle come into play. Stuffing 2 cams into a head, along with all the hardware and mounting points, can reduce area in which to plumb effective ports.

Regardless, the flow capabilities of modified heads are beyond the needs of most average tuners anyway. A street car will never see such limits... and some restriction is actually useful to keep the powerband in a useful RPM range.
                                Well said deev.. You also have to consider the ability of the f22b compared to the f22a. Just doing research for a few hours I've noticed that on street n/a setups, the dohc f22b beats the f22a price wise. If you want non-vtec n/a power, I would suggest the f22b over the sohc f22ax/bx. Sure, you have 2 cams, but from what I can tell, the money to get the f22a to 200 hp is better spent in the f22b, as long as you can get the head for a relatively cheap price. But then, you have variability in prices, so, I'm not 100% sure. Either way, boost is a better way to spend money on the f series, but priorities, you know?

I'm planning on buying an DOHC F22B and think that it is a wiser decision than rebuilding my f22a6. It has just as much boost potential as the f22, and is more powerful in stock form, as well as more potent with mild upgrades to have fun with while you/if you save for turbo. Pretty neat motor. So is the H23.

My .02.
                                Originally posted by Quashish
                                hahaha

noobs be like where to be buying hella flush yo?

Comment

Working...
                                X