Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent starting prob, main relay changed and still funny..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent starting prob, main relay changed and still funny..

OK, I have about 4 cb7's in my household and 3 went though the no start on a hot day problem already. For all 3 the main relay fixed the problem, well maybe except for one. I replaced the main relay on my wifes car a month ago after she had the hot day no start problem. I replaced it and it started well. Well yesterday it was another hot NY day and it didnt start. I just waited til nighttime just to see what would happen and sure enough it started at night. It also started today while it was hot.

Now im really confused, if something takes a shit, it should just take a shit. But this thing seems like its fartin. I want toi ask if anyone had a similar problem AFTER changing the main relay. Also has anyone ever had a main relay go bad after a month or so. Is there anything else in the car that can overheat during non driving and cause the car not to start. Any help is appreciated because I cant even diagnose this thing if it STARTS up you know. Thanx in adavance
    FOR SALE on cb7tuner only for now. Want it in the right hands
    Pm meX
    I do swaps in NYC/LI area: Hit me up for a quote.

MY WHIP
    H22A Swap
    I'm 'THE STIG'

I had a loose PGM-Fi Main Relay ground and this caused starting and running problems at random.
    1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
    C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
    MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
    ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
    You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

Yea you might have another bad main relay if it wasnt new. Check grounds everywhere. Might have some corrosion or rust somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by James Matteu View Post
        I had a loose PGM-Fi Main Relay ground and this caused starting and running problems at random.
        Are you referring to the ground wire on the thermostat housing.

Originally posted by Shag Wagon View Post
        Yea you might have another bad main relay if it wasnt new. Check grounds everywhere. Might have some corrosion or rust somewhere.
        Well it was a brand new one from the dealer. I've never had a prob before that's why I'm askin to see if anyone else had a prob with a brand new relay.
        Pm meX

MY WHIP
        H22A Swap
        I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

Originally posted by CBAccordA4 View Post
          Are you referring to the ground wire on the thermostat housing.

Well it was a brand new one from the dealer. I've never had a prob before that's why I'm askin to see if anyone else had a prob with a brand new relay.
          Anythings possible, new parts can be faulty.
          Otherwise the coil/ignitor can cause the same problem as can the ignition switch.
          Are you sure it is a temperature related issue?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
            Anythings possible, new parts can be faulty.
            Otherwise the coil/ignitor can cause the same problem as can the ignition switch.
            Are you sure it is a temperature related issue?
            Well, that is the only time it didn't start. It did start up on some days that were nearly as hot tho.
            Pm meX

MY WHIP
            H22A Swap
            I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

Working...
            X