Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

rebuilding my obx lsd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuilding my obx lsd

so I got my obx lsd in today, and already I have noticed that there are broken washers in it, and I am having trouble getting the case to separate. Ive taken a rubber mallet to it already and Im getting nowhere. I am going to upgrade the washers in it to some that are better quality. the case bolts were not striped for the guy who torqued them down without stripping them, but : to the same guy because one bolt was very loose. Im going to try to remember to get batteries for my camera so that I can photographically document the process for you all.
    spin city

I think someone beat you too it. I remember that there used to be pictures in his thread. Since it's over 2 years old I guess they have been removed.

How to Field Strip an OBX LSD

You would think that over the past two years OBX may have improved the production process somewhat but I guess not eh!
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

ok so 3 out of 6 washers were fubar. I am having trouble getting a hold of new ones. I found a local store that can get them but I have to order 65 of them.
      spin city

Comment

have you seen bjaccord's obx thread? later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

www.mcmaster.com
          www.mscdirect.com

You can order small quantities of whatever you want there. If you have to buy 65 washers at $.11 each, do it. You already spent $400 of the diff, why not waste $6 on hardware you don't need?

Comment

Definatly get the ones from mcmaster.com they seem to have netted the best results from the guys rebuilding obx lsd's on H-T

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
            member ride thread
            11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
            DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
            People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
            I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
            John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

65 washers is like $50+shipping form a local shop. neither of thoes two websites have exactly what I am looking for. The washers that came with the lsd are 1.100 od, slightly over .5 id, they are .047 thick, with a total hight of .0875. mscdirect has a washer that is close but is .059 thick and ..085 tall. The local store can get exactly what I need but I have to order 65.
              Last edited by dbsharp; 12-08-2008, 02:36 PM.
              spin city

Comment

From a technical perspective I think it is cool people have found the flaws and managed to better assemble the OBX LSD. However, I still wonder on durability, as I haven't seen many reports on that with decent mileage accumulated. So you correct the problem of assembling it correctly, but this has nothing to do with the quality of the components and durability. I wonder how the internals hold up. If they can't assemble it right, it does not give me much confidence on any R&D on the materials used and durability testing.

Personally, I believe the saying of "you get what you pay for" goes inline with this product.
                HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
                  From a technical perspective I think it is cool people have found the flaws and managed to better assemble the OBX LSD. However, I still wonder on durability, as I haven't seen many reports on that with decent mileage accumulated. So you correct the problem of assembling it correctly, but this has nothing to do with the quality of the components and durability. I wonder how the internals hold up. If they can't assemble it right, it does not give me much confidence on any R&D on the materials used and durability testing.

Personally, I believe the saying of "you get what you pay for" goes inline with this product.
                  a guy here locally in louisville had an OBX lsd in his 400hp b16 hatch for a year. he rebuilt it when he bought it putting the washers in the correct order and never had a problem out of it. he only upgraded cause he wanted a quaife...

My Members Ride Thread
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

They come with a lifetime warrenty so even if they wear out you can get a new one. Im not worried about it. At $600 less than a quaife, Ill give it a try.
                    Last edited by dbsharp; 12-09-2008, 12:08 AM.
                    spin city

Comment

Originally posted by dbsharp View Post
                      They come with a lifetime warrenty so even if they wear out you can get a new one. Im not worried about it. At $600 less than a quaife, Ill give it a try.
                      Yea, I understand that. Just voiced my opinion is all. Anyhow, atleast your taking to the time to assemble it right.

Comment

Yea, I understand that. Just voiced my opinion is all.
                        I know, Your opinion is welcome in any of my threads.
                        I hate to do it but with my current budget, I have to look at things with the "how cheep can I do this" prespective.
                        spin city

Comment

Please come back with a review after you have accumulated so many miles to get an idea on durability on this product. I haven't heard much on that and I'm sure many people are curious. I'm talking like 10K+ miles.

Comment

I might disassemble the unit and inspect it next time I need to pull the tranny. But for sure Ill let you know what I think.
                            spin city

Comment

This is about to go together and get put to the test. I just got the right shim for the diff, It was the smallest size that honda makes, thank god it worked otherwise Id have to mill one down to size
                              spin city

Comment

Working...
                              X