Mayweather/McGregor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mayweather/McGregor

I'm surprised no one has made a thread discussing this yet (that I'm aware of). Thoughts on the fight and the outcome? Personally I figured McG had a swinging chance of getting a KO but I didn't think he'd last the full 12 rounds unless Mayweather carried him.

I honestly expected mcgregor to go down in the first round. He's not a boxer (not at the truly professional level, anyway). I compared him to Michael Jordan playing baseball. Jordan is one of the greatest basketball players ever, but he was a sad baseball player. Good enough to make it on the team (maybe not without his fame), but lousy otherwise.
    I was impressed by mcgregor's efforts. I think he surprised mayweather. In the end, though, mayweather is a master of his craft. Pit the two against each other in an mma match and mcgregor would destroy mayweather.

Comment

Here is my take of the whole fight.
      Ref let McGregor get away with a lot of shit (rabbit punches mostly).
      McGregor looked frustrated a majority of the time. Saw a lot of leg lifts as though he wanted to go for a kick and had to stop himself.
      Twelve rounds? Are you kidding? Mayweather knows the scoring system and knew at the halfway point he had it in the bag and all he had to do was draw it out to the end.

For some reason the whole fight just seemed off/odd for some reason. Like neither one was really going for it. This may have been the fact that McGregor wasn't able to use every ounce of fighting potential he has or I'm just use to a faster paced fight (boxing is not my cup of tea).

In the end, they both won and a lot of stupid people made some REALLY stupid bets.
      Also there was way too much smiling at the end of the fight from McGregor, especially for losing...
      Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

When the loser gets $100,000,000, what's not to smile about?

Comment

This was never about the fight nor about winning it, Mayweather was getting another check while Mcgregor was looking at the biggest paycheck of his life. Personally i did not want it to happen because I was involved in boxing and there are guys busting their ass day in and day out to go up the ranks and get a shot just to fall short while this man while may have dominated his sport got one by simply running his mouth; and got a paycheck others have worked for but will never get. Had this been an exhibition match to settle egos it would all be different with me. A guy i know called it perfectly though Mcgregor would lose and say the ref stopped it early, even called the round too.
          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I'm glad it's out of the way, I don't really follow boxing and rarely watch MMA these days. I think like Crankshaft, it should have been an exhibition bout, but I'm sure it's harder to ask $100 to watch an exhibition and certainly harder to justify paying 9 digits to the loser of one. For some reason I was reminded of Rocky vs. Hulk Hogan when watching this.

Comment

I guess that makes Mayweather 51-0 now.

Comment

I was so confused the first 5 rounds. There was smiling, hugging, and back of the head banging. It looked like two beginner fighters in the ring. Luckily by the 9th round things were looking more like a boxing match

Comment

I think mayweather wasn't taking mcgregor seriously at first. Then he expected him to tire sooner than he did. Halfway through, he realized mcgregor might have more fight in him than anticipated. The second mcgregor showed signs of fatigue, mayweather took him down. That right there is the difference between a true boxing pro and a skilled mma fighter. Mcgregor is a machine, sure, but he doesn't have a lifetime of exceptional boxing experience.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                    I guess that makes Mayweather 51-0 now.
                    I saw a meme where he kissed his mom on the lips. It said he's 51-1 after that, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      I think mayweather wasn't taking mcgregor seriously at first. Then he expected him to tire sooner than he did. Halfway through, he realized mcgregor might have more fight in him than anticipated. The second mcgregor showed signs of fatigue, mayweather took him down. That right there is the difference between a true boxing pro and a skilled mma fighter. Mcgregor is a machine, sure, but he doesn't have a lifetime of exceptional boxing experience.
                      I remember one day while at the gym the trainer was talking plan with the boxer, trainer said he suggested they tried to tire the opponent out; boxer replied it was easy to say when he wasn't getting punched in there for 12 rounds. On the other hand perhaps Mayweather did underestimate the opponent which violates an unwritten rule of pugilism; taking easy on an opponent is offensive as you are expected to give your best each and every time, you give less than 100% and you are letting yourself, your trainer and the opponent down. I give Mayweather props for being perhaps the smartest boxer in the sense that he took the least amount of punishment possible to be able to retire healthy; being chased around a square by someone trying to punch you out is not easy and I can attest to that.
                      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        I honestly expected mcgregor to go down in the first round. He's not a boxer (not at the truly professional level, anyway). I compared him to Michael Jordan playing baseball. Jordan is one of the greatest basketball players ever, but he was a sad baseball player. Good enough to make it on the team (maybe not without his fame), but lousy otherwise.
                        I was impressed by mcgregor's efforts. I think he surprised mayweather. In the end, though, mayweather is a master of his craft. Pit the two against each other in an mma match and mcgregor would destroy mayweather.
                        I 100% agree with everything you said with the MJ baseball comparison and all. Personally i think mayweather made the decision to not take McGregor out too early in the fight because it would be bad for "business".
                        1993 Accord LX - Sold
                        93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                        92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                        2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                        2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                        2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                        2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                        2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

That's probably very true as well. The guy's sense of showmanship is second only to his boxing skill!

Comment

Why the McGregor/Mayweather Fight Was Bullshit
                            Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Working...
                            X