Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch pedal Sticks (not what you think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch pedal Sticks (not what you think)

OK, this is not the average "my clutch pedal is sticking" question thats due to air bubbles or leak in the slave or master cylinder, at least I dont think it is. My clutch pedal sometimes sticks close to the bottom when I am in 1st gear revving high and switch gears. It only happens from first to 2nd at HIGH rpm. Also note that it stays to the bottom but still has enough kickback to be depressed and disengae the clutch. Also once I bring the pedal back up it is back to normal again. Any help is appreciated thanx.

Note I have stage 1 clutch and lightweight flywheel. Clutch pedal feels great
    FOR SALE on cb7tuner only for now. Want it in the right hands
    Pm meX
    I do swaps in NYC/LI area: Hit me up for a quote.

MY WHIP
    H22A Swap
    I'm 'THE STIG'

Sticks until you pull it up manually?
    Sticks and slowley comes back up on its own?
    Does this happen when the car is in neutral with high revs?
    Does this happen when the car is off (or has ever happened)?
    When did this start happening?

Sounds like a weird issue though.

Comment

slave cylinder is bad. check for leaks. clutch line could be culprit
      <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        Sticks until you pull it up manually?
        Sticks and slowley comes back up on its own?
        Does this happen when the car is in neutral with high revs?
        Does this happen when the car is off (or has ever happened)?
        When did this start happening?
        Sounds like a weird issue though.
        It sticks but will come up if I kick the clutch hard enough to wanna bounce or spring back up or until I pull it up. It doesnt come back slowly, comes back quick like its under NO tension like when your bleading the clutch and has no kickback. I never tried revving in nuetral and pressing clutch without putting it into gear. No, it doesnt happen when the car is off. Yeh it is strange but didnt bother me too much because I baby the engine, or drive like abitch most of the time. But if im ready to run, it gets annoying.

Originally posted by tommi View Post
        slave cylinder is bad. check for leaks. clutch line could be culprit
        But If I had a leak, wouldnt the clutch feel spongy and not want to come back on a a regular basis. Also my reservoir is full, but ill double check it anyway. Thanx
        Pm meX

MY WHIP
        H22A Swap
        I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

Your clutch engages in the proper spot right? (this is 1-3" from the floor)

Comment

i had this same problem and i was told that it is the through out bearing in the tranny.

Red Wagon DD - 1993 EX
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172734
            Gray Wagon Project - 1992 LX
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=166337

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              Your clutch engages in the proper spot right? (this is 1-3" from the floor)
              Yes it engages at the proper height.

Originally posted by carcollectorkid View Post
              i had this same problem and i was told that it is the through out bearing in the tranny.
              You HAD the proble?? So is the problem fixed now, was it really the throw out bearing. Mine was brand new on installation, I reused the fork and the throw out came with the clutch kit. Only problem I had on installation was it kept sliding out of position when lifting the tranny onto the engine, but after a while it came around. Also, if this did happen to not be on properly, wouldnt it give me a problem all the time???
              Pm meX

MY WHIP
              H22A Swap
              I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

mine does the same thing on occasion, just at higher rpms, causing me to miss second gear sometimes... i just assumed it was a slave cylinder and haven't messed with it yet, cuz it's fine on normal driving... might have to just replace the slave and see what happens, lol...
                91 EX Coupe 5 Speed
                My Ride Thread

ASE Certified Master Tech Since 2005

Originally posted by deevergote
                That's like watching a guy stick his head up his own ass. Impressive... but why?
                Bought From: Quakerjoe , MikeW

Comment

Originally posted by excoupemt5 View Post
                  mine does the same thing on occasion, just at higher rpms, causing me to miss second gear sometimes... i just assumed it was a slave cylinder and haven't messed with it yet, cuz it's fine on normal driving... might have to just replace the slave and see what happens, lol...
                  What you said is exactly what mine is doing. Actually I noticed that the piston in my slave sticks out a little bit than normal when the clutch is not being pushed, it stays there all the time as if the clutch pedal is being pushed toward disengagement. Check if yours seem awkward. Maybe I will try and change the slave as well.
                  Pm meX

MY WHIP
                  H22A Swap
                  I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

Update

Ok, today I discovered that the clutch fork has too much play in it and that at rest, the slave cylinder has to come out too far too touch it. The clip for the fork seems to be in properly and theres no way anything couldve been installed backwards unless the clutch manufacturers screwed up on what side they wanted pointed towards the engine. I read in some place that the throw out bearing can be in backwards but how is that theres only one way to install it. PLEASE HELPPPP
                    Pm meX

MY WHIP
                    H22A Swap
                    I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

my 240 did that too i replaced the master/slave and took off the damper, i bled it and bled it too be sure
                      91 LX Coupe H22 swap, n/a build in progress. "007 CB7"
                      I'll smoke your v8 like I smoke my ganja

Comment

yeah i have this same problem...its like u gotta pump or pull back up the clutch pedel...been this way since i did my swap...i put a new slave on it and still did it...but im not 100% if the clutch is bled all the way..or done properly...which is my reason for looking thru threads on this topic right now..lol but ill let u kno if i figure out mine and ill see if it could be ur same problem...

Comment

for $65 i changed both units, it doesnt matter if they're leaking or not

if the fork has too much play at resting, it means your slave is staying stuck half-way

replace both units and you wont have a problem
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Try this: check to see if it is the clutch line that is causing it by putting the car in neutral and manually fixing the clutch release fork ALL THE WAY IN, giving space for the slave cylinder pushrod to travel out as far as it can without being in touch with the release fork at all.

Now press the clutch pedal down and see if it sticks.

Actually, don't do that, it probably is not the line if it is happening only in first and second in only high rpm engagements/disengagements.

I'd look to see whether you have a problem with the throwout bearing or release fork. You say the release fork seems to have too much play; i've never seen how the release fork engages with the throwout assembly but is it possible for the release fork to slide forward on the mechanism and stick there ( only during high rpms while the throwout bearing is spinning fast enough to be actually applying a bit of twisting force to the mechanism due to interal bearing friction)? That is where I would be looking, not having any firsthand experience with the clutch internals or actuating mechanism. Or, how is the clutch release fork mounted? It must be on a pivot. If the pivot is badly worn then that would create excessive play in the fork, possibly in a way that might create a weird/gear& rpm specific problem such as you describe.

Another possibility is the question of whether the release bearing could be sliding between the release forks and "sticking" there until you kick the clutch pedal and snap it free.

Again, pure speculation on my part. I know very littleiof the internal of clutch actuation mechanism in that area of the car, never seen it off the car. I'm just considering potential areas of causation.
                            Last edited by batever; 06-16-2011, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Try this: check to see if it is the clutch line that is causing it by putting the car in neutral and manually fixing the clutch release fork ALL THE WAY IN, giving space for the slave cylinder pushrod to travel out as far as it can without being in touch with the release fork at all.

Now press the clutch pedal down and see if it sticks.

if that's not the problem, then you have a problem with the throwout bearing or release fork. i've never seen how the release fork engages with the throwout assembly but is it possible for the release fork to slide forward on the mechanism and stick there ( only during high rpms while the throwout bearing is spinning fast enought to be actually applying a bit of twisting force to the mechanism due to interal bearing friction)? That is where I would be looking, not having any firsthand experience with the clutch internals or actuating mechanism.

Another possibility is the question of whether the release bearing could be sliding between the release forks and "sticking" there until you kick the clutch pedal and snap it free.

Again, pure speculation on my part. I know very little iof the internal of clutch actuation mechanism in that area of the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X