X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOT approved projectors ftw
    wat?

Comment

Why when someone breaks the law and gets a ticket for it, its always the cops fault? Who put the HID's on the car? You or the cop? If the cops did it, please let us all know where we need to start parking at night to get these free parts.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
        If the HID bulb isn't behind a DOT approved projector it's illegal.

There are SOME cars (such as the 1st gen TL) that properly reflects HIDs without the need for a projector.
        Retrofits are also illegal. Cars that come equipped with HID stock have auto leveling and/or some other form of controlled device for the beam.

Halogen reflectors are different than HID reflectors. The Lexus IS300 has a good HID reflector also, much better than the 1st gen TL.

Originally posted by mchaley View Post
        I don't see why it'd matter if it's OEM or not. Fight the ticket.

I don't know the laws regarding this in your state.
        If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. How do you not see why it doesn't matter?

Comment

best bet is to add eyelids to the head lights, & lower the beam

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Ok, while yes the cop can ticket you for being retrofitted they are much more likely to do so if your lights seem a hazard. You mentioned ballasts and bulbs. You did not say that you have the projector assemblies installed which would mean that you don't have a shield either. If that is the case then the cop had every right to pull you over as you are a hazard to every driver on the road. This applies to those of you with hid kits as well.

Lets see why:

This is a standard Halogen reflector. Notice the wide dispersed beam pattern.

This is a projector beam pattern. Notice the tight beam pattern and the shield blocking light above a certain angle. The shield is what gives HID lights that nice sharp cutoff. The bottom right is a project in high beam mode.

Ok now lets see how these look to the driver:

This is a simple HID kit. Not projector and no shield. Notice the extraneous light above the beams.

This is a proper HID retrofit. Notice the sharp cutoff and lack of extraneous light to blind other drivers.

Here is another image showing the different between a kit and a true retrofit.

And how a HID kit looks to other drivers:

Notice just how much this vehicle would blind you. The bright light would hamper your night vision for awhile after passing said vehicle. You wouldn't want to deal with it, so why would you inflict it upon other drivers?

Now the halogens are of course much dimmer, and are designed with the lower power bulbs in mind. The new HID lights all come equipped with projectors and shields. This is not just extra weight. It was done so for the safety of others on the road, and was required to meet federal standards. Also please be aware that the aftermarket "projector" ebay headlights are not true projectors and do not include a shield to keep from blinding other drivers. A proper retrofit also has the added bonus of much greater visibility then a simple kit.

Now if you were to have a proper retrofit the cops would be much less likely to hassle you as you would not be such a hazard to others on the road. Let's not forget one other thing that everyone should remember. AIM YOUR HEADLIGHTS. Even a proper retrofit can blind other drivers if not properly aimed.

Originally posted by deevergote
            When you have to take a leak, and someone's in the bathroom, isn't it proper to piss in the fridge?

Comment

^what he said(**edit** on pg. 1)

i have a hid kit in a stock housing, but ive aimed the headlights down some, walked about 30ft. away from my car and looked to make sure theyre aimed low enough to not cause glare like that. and i also got the 4300k kit. no matter how you aim, if you get some blue or purple kit, cops are gonna notice.

Comment

Any mod to the lights that alters their output is considered illegal in CA. This is strictly because the OEM goes through various approval procedures to ensure the lights are safe on the road. HID's from another vehicle, although legal in their own right are NOT legal in another vehicle, it's just that simple. I have some on mine but have never been questioned about them largely due to:
                1. They are legitimate acura tsx bulbs, balasts and projectors
                2. They are correctly aimed
                3. I'm not some asshole with purple, green or red headlights. It has been PROVEN that bulbs that emit such colors on the kelvin scale DECREASE visibility at night and are super easy to spot by cops.

The best thing you can do other than not modifying your headlights is to install them extremely cleanly so if you do get pulled over they would look OEMish.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Working...
                X