M/T Reverse Gear not functioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M/T Reverse Gear not functioning

OK, I have a 94 vtec accord tranny that I picked up from the junkyard about 3 years ago. It sucks by the way, grinds in 3rd and 5th but it relatively goes into gear OK. Just yesterday out of the blue, it would go into reverse for shit. I had this problem a few months ago before I did another engine swap but I had to force it into reverse, this time it cannot even be forced.

I suspected the cables at first, by the way they are h22 cables. I slipped them off the selectors on the tranny and they move fine. Now when I move the selector by hand, it goes into all other gears except reverse. I even tried to forse it into reverse using a pry bar and no deal.

One of my friend told me it could be a throw out bearing, but I say why does it go into all the other gears. Even when the car is off its the same thing.
    If any of you goes know what could be wrong, please let me know.
    I also tried to take that selector plate on top of the tranny off but it wont budge.
    Am I fucked with this tranny or what?????
    FOR SALE on cb7tuner only for now. Want it in the right hands
    Pm meX
    I do swaps in NYC/LI area: Hit me up for a quote.

MY WHIP
    H22A Swap
    I'm 'THE STIG'

Need to add one more thing, if it is the 5th gear synchro or reverse sync, how hard is that to change. I can also get a h22 tranny for 450. I was tring to avoid the spending right now but, shit happens
    Pm meX

MY WHIP
    H22A Swap
    I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

problem solved

Problem solved, I bought an h tranny. Anyone need a tranny with

5 forward gears and no reverse. Holla. - think when I take ouit the
      Reverse idler or synchro or whatver the hell it needs, fix it and sell it. Lata.
      Can anyone recommend a nice clutch and flywheel combo around $200. Lata
      Pm meX

MY WHIP
      H22A Swap
      I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

Just encountered similar problem on a Mitsubishi Lancer 5spd and it was not the tranny cables or shifter lever. In neutral, it would shift into reverse fine with the motor off. With motor on, when in reverse and clutch engaged, it would grind, when clutch disengaged it would not. We suspect reverse synchro. It's my cousin's car, she just bought and the car worked fine for a bit and then this problem. It could also be that the shifting fork that moves this reverse gear is fractured.
        Last edited by HondaFan81; 08-18-2009, 12:52 PM.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
          Just encountered similar problem on a Mitsubishi Lancer 5spd and it was not the tranny cables or shifter lever. In neutral, it would shift into reverse fine with the motor off. With motor on, when in reverse and clutch engaged, it would grind, when clutch disengaged it would not. We suspect reverse synchro. It's my cousin's car, she just bought and the car worked fine for a bit and then this problem. It could also be that the shifting fork that moves this reverse gear is fractured.
          Yepp, it feels like the safety mechanism that is there to prevent from shifting into reverse directly from a forward gear, is always on. Let me know what gets done with your cousins tranny, how easy or hard was it to fix? u kno lata
          Pm meX

MY WHIP
          H22A Swap
          I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

Working...
          X