AC Compressor Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Compressor Replacement

Today is an auspicious day... 27 years ago on this day I bought my wife her new 93SE. And it's also the day the AC system threw in the towel...

Honestly I can't complain too much since this was a long time coming. For the last several years it's been slowly leaking refrigerant and as expected it's become progressively worse. Normally it would last a year, then about 9 months and recently about the 3-4 months now my last recharge was in June so it's time.

I've always known the SE used Hadsys compressors (exclusively?) along with some EX models (depending on VINs). I'm also keenly aware there isn't too much to choose from out there mostly re-manufactured compressors that tend to leak prematurely.

The "good news" I've located the new (NOS) Hadsys parts but of course the downside is it's gonna cost me... big:
    Compressor (38810-PT6-A04) = $806.75
    Clutch (38011-PT6-A05) = $163.66
    Coil (solenoid) (38924-PT6-A04) = $73.41
    Dryer (receiver) (80351-SM1-H21) = $152.46
    Ground Shipping = $15.95
    Total = $1212.23

Add in labor I'm guessing about $2k or more...

So here's what I hope the "brain trust" can help with...

1. Based on recent research Denso compressors appear plentiful but how difficult is it to convert the SE to one? I understand the bracket, manifold and hoses/couplings are different.

2. Are the parts, labor, etc. going to negate any cost savings vs buying a Hadsys setup?

3. I'm still sitting on my 30lb can of R12 which is now down to about 15.2 lbs. Is it worth converting to R134a (which doesn't get as cold especially in AZ) or stick with the R12? My mechanic keeps telling me he wants to junk or give me his R12 recovery unit which is about the size of 3 drawer file cabinet so servicing it in the future is could be tricky.

Thanks
    Last edited by hiptech; 09-15-2020, 08:15 AM.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

I would throw a 3rd party AC compressor on there (or buy one down the road / used), pump in the remaining (last fill) of your R13 and see if that will last another 20 years. (replace parts if you want like the dryer).

Also start saving up parts / $$$ for the R134a conversion if you are thinking long term. But we know the OEM R13 setup will last forever and blow colder. Maybe do a OEM clutch replace on the used compressor. If you want to keep the car forever then you'll have to find all OEM parts and pay out ...

Comment

Thanks Raf...

At this point in time and after all the work and expense of maintaining it to OEM levels I'm inclined to keep it that way as much as possible.

However I did manage to find another potential source of NOS parts that if it checks out should save me about $150 so that helps... a little.
      My Collection:

Comment

Cool, cool. Best of luck.

Comment

Clutch and coil still work? Reuse them?

Edit: Majestic Honda (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com) still shows the compressor available at $688.84, clutch at $141., solenoid at $64.07, receivers at $131.35. Total $1018.11 Shipping is likely higher than you show. $800 sounds like a lot for labor.
          Last edited by Fleetw00d; 09-09-2020, 09:59 PM.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Majestic's site is not current. I called today and was told the parts shown are no longer available... Thanks anyway
            My Collection:

Comment

Can Majestic get them from Vintage parts at Majestic's prices?
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Not sure. I'll look into that tomorrow.
                Thanks again
                My Collection:

Comment

According to Vintage Parts pricing on Honda parts is the same whether I order them or the dealer so no discount there. At least shipping is reasonable.

Turns out the only part not available is the high pressure hose (80315-SM1-Z01). But a local AC shop that the dealers use can fabricate an identical version with correct high pressure fittings. Guess I'll place the order today and have them by end of next week...
                  My Collection:

Comment

I'll check if I have one if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
                    X