rustyaccord : 1992 Accord EX (2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rustyaccord : 1992 Accord EX (2)

Got a new baby the day after the accident with the sedan. Paid $1100 for it which was a steal since it has new firestones and OEM suspension on it and a rebuilt trans (auto, unfortunately). This is the cleanest wagon I have ever seen in person which I guess isn't much to say since wagons are kind of rare around these parts and if you do see them they are rusted out pretty bad. She runs better than my sedan ever did since I've had it, and overall is in much better condition, so the accident was a blessing in disguise. I'll post some better pictures once I get her cleaned up.

With a little help from my dad, I spent a week transferring parts between the two cars.

Engine/Trans:
    -H23 IM/TB
    -ESP engine mounts
    -DC Sports header to magnaflow cat to Apexi WS2 catback
    -OEM airbox resonator tubes delete with K&N factory style filter
    -Eventually a 5 speed swap with a nice head rebuild, I'm not sure yet.

Suspension:
    -Prothane master bushing kit
    -H&R OE 3/4" drop springs and Koni Yellow's in the front
    -Factory springs and KYB AGX's in the rear

Brakes:
    -Stainless brake lines (future)
    -EBC slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads
    -ABS dash light (fixed(removed wiring))

Exterior:
    -OEM fogs

Interior:
    -aftermarket amp/sub/wiring delete and OEM speaker replacement
    -Pioneer stereo head unit, nothing fancy
    -working A/C!
    -passenger side wet carpet (heater core was leaking, has been replaced)
    Last edited by rustyaccord; 08-07-2019, 07:16 PM.

Looks great! Just need a RF fender.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Looks like he got it. You've got a hint of rust out back though. Nice find.

If you haven't already purchased the Green Stuff pads, I'd avoid them. I've got EBC slotted discs on the RSX and started out with those same pads. The discs tore right through them, and they dusted like crazy anyway. I changed to Hawk HPS and they've been great on both counts. I imagine EBC Red Stuff is the same thing.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
        Looks like he got it. You've got a hint of rust out back though. Nice find.

If you haven't already purchased the Green Stuff pads, I'd avoid them. I've got EBC slotted discs on the RSX and started out with those same pads. The discs tore right through them, and they dusted like crazy anyway. I changed to Hawk HPS and they've been great on both counts. I imagine EBC Red Stuff is the same thing.
        It's hard to find any Honda with this little rust here in NE (the salt tears the shit out of the bodies) so I'm really happy with how small the blemishes are on the quarters.

How well do you like the EBC rotors? I bought them for the sedan but I had less than 1000 miles on them before the car got totaled, and the wagons have larger front rotors so I couldn't swap them over. My initial impression was pretty good, they definitely stopped better than the OE pads and warped rotors. I will look into the Hawk pads though, thanks for the tip!
        Last edited by rustyaccord; 04-04-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Well, I went up Pikes Peak one summer on the original blank discs and whatever pads came with the car. The trip down turned the discs purple and I experienced serious brake fade. Since the slotted swap, and after teaming them with the HPS pads, I've yet to get them to fade as badly as that day, including another Pikes Peak trip and several other canyon runs. I'd say the fade is very mild now, but I don't exactly race the car to where I'm slamming on the brakes either. I don't know if stopping distance has improved at all, but the first couple stops (pads being cold) are sometimes a bit slow. Fade was what I was hoping to correct with this setup, and to that end I'm happy with them.

But lately I'm thinking my brake fluid and/or hoses are starting to break down. I've been meaning to have a shop change the fluid for me (hopefully with something of the next step up in durability), and install braided lines at the same time. Something you might want to look into as well.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Did some ebay surfing last weekend and you'll never guess what I found...

Shipped from Malaysia, to China, to Japan, to Alaska, to Kentucky, to Omaha, and finally to Lincoln. What could they be, you ask?

Take a peek,

Yeah that's right, brand new OEM style 92/93 fog lights!
            I've been searching for a set for the last 4 years and after missing out on buying a set (sorry Deev, car got totalled and I had a fiasco with the insurance company) I finally found them. They seem decent quality, probably made in Taiwan. The brackets are made of plastic but they seem rigid enough, I'm sure it will be more solid once they're installed. The build quality reminds me a lot of the saxo fogs I bought a couple years back only those had steel brackets and were for the wrong year of car.

Anyway, I still have some overspray to clean off the bumper from the PO then I'll get these babies installed.
            Last edited by rustyaccord; 09-01-2017, 07:21 PM.

Comment

That's an awesome find! And that looks like such a fantastic place to start from again. It's good to see members coming back from crashes instead of getting out.

Comment

That's a nice wagon!

That's a cool box for the fogs. Preserve the box lol. Are the curved jdm fogs?

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
                  That's a nice wagon!

That's a cool box for the fogs. Preserve the box lol. Are the curved jdm fogs?
                  Unfortunately they are not JDM style. I'll post some better pics once I get them installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                    That's an awesome find! And that looks like such a fantastic place to start from again. It's good to see members coming back from crashes instead of getting out.
                    I needed a quick replacement car after the accident. I figured CB's are cheap plus I could swap all my good parts over from the wreck. I didn't expect to get this lucky condition wise so it was lucky I found it when I did. All the other CB's on CL in my area were rusted super bad, missing parts, and dented up.

Comment

Here's the fogs installed. Not a fan of the plastic brackets but they should work fine. I ended up breaking off the long tabs by accident since they don't fit perfectly in the wagon bumper. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a sedan bumper in Seattle Silver.

Last edited by rustyaccord; 09-01-2017, 07:23 PM.

Comment

The car rides great overall but the front shocks are making noise and it drives me nuts. The rubber bushings and ball joint boots all looks pretty worn out and torn up so that brings me to the next big upgrade. It will be at least after tax season since I just dumped over a grand for education. Thieving bastards!

New shocks, springs, and poly bushings will be met with new ball joints, control arms, and bearings where needed. However, I will probably end up replacing the brakes all around first. They still stop fine and without noise but the discs are looking really worn.

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/82013

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...2&autoModClar=

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...2&autoModClar=
                        Last edited by rustyaccord; 01-07-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I noticed that the rear bumper had started to pull away from the quarter panel and decided to see what I could do to fix the situation. Interestingly enough, the driver's side was completely clean. No rust or anything.

Unfortunately, the passenger side was worse than I thought...

It was only holding on by the seam sealer, and after a few times through the carwash at work, it started letting go.

It's not the most attractive thing in the world but it serves its purpose for now.

Yes I used pop rivets but it was getting late and I was tired of messing with it. Plus the welder is buried behind a bunch of shit in the garage. I finished it all up with a quick coat of rubber undercoating.
                          Last edited by rustyaccord; 09-01-2017, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Well, I kickstarted the process of rebuilding the suspension on this old beast. I have always had a good experience with NAPA's suspension components so $250 later and I'm waiting on four new premium upper control arms. Next step is the lower ball joints, then I can order up a master bushing kit. Expensive, I know, but I'm sure it's all totally worth it!

Comment

Upon receiving my tax return, I decided to go ahead and order up the shocks, springs, and poly bushings... $1100, ouch. But it should drive like a brand new car and be a lot more stable, especially at highway speeds and windy conditions. In a couple weeks I will be making the trek out to Indianapolis for spring break to visit some family who happen to have a 2 post lift, which is perfect for this sort of work. I'll post pictures of the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X