No announcement yet.

Honda needs a production v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My argument regarding the V6 being unbalanced is based on the fact that each cylinder bank will always have 2 pistons in opposition to one.

Comment

V8s sound boring to me. Flat plane, cross plane, whatever. V6s and engines with cylinder counts with multiples of 3 just have a much more interesting harmony. Plus they tend to be lighter and in lighter cars.

I don't think Honda needs a V8. If they made one they'd need a car to put it in. The only cars that really need V8s these days are the very kinds of cars that are falling out of favor- big luxury sedans. It's all about the CUV/SUV now, which are all perfectly fine with V6s. Ford even has the twin turbo V6 that goes sideways. So it's kind of unnecessary from a pure power standpoint. For certain cars and legit trucks I understand. A V6 Corvette just sounds wrong. But I'm not a big V8 guy. Even the Ferraris I drove just kinda sounded like mean 4 bangers.

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
        That 30mpg number is based off of real measurements from current owners. That isn't the EPA rating. I just google searched. I know that the tech involved in the new Corvette is phenomenal and allow the motor to run extremely efficient. Especially the cylinder deactivation.
        Corvettes have been getting 30mpg since '97 if you got one with a 6 speed. The f bodies got very close too in general but I only know one person who actually has done it but almost all my c5 and c6 buddies have done 30-32 fairly easily.
        Looking for a new CB. Sell me yours!

Comment

I wonder if I could get 30mpg in my CTS-V if I drove it like it was broken...

Comment

Originally posted by MrTShoff View Post
            Corvettes have been getting 30mpg since '97 if you got one with a 6 speed. The f bodies got very close too in general but I only know one person who actually has done it but almost all my c5 and c6 buddies have done 30-32 fairly easily.
            Yeah, if you are in 6th gear and keep your foot out of it. As soon as you get on it, or start romping it, you are in the mid to low teens.

You don't get the power for free.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              My argument regarding the V6 being unbalanced is based on the fact that each cylinder bank will always have 2 pistons in opposition to one.
              With a modern 60* V6 it is simply a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                Yeah, if you are in 6th gear and keep your foot out of it. As soon as you get on it, or start romping it, you are in the mid to low teens.

You don't get the power for free.
                Which is what most people do on the highway? I dont know of many cars with more than 200hp that get that mileage while you get on it

Comment

Nothing gets great gas mileage when you get on it.

Comment

Nothing gets great gas mileage when you get on it.
                    Indeed. By the way i own a 3.8 cammed camaro soon to be boosted but I definitely agree with your problems with it. Not a refined engine at all but cheap and it can take a beating. Reminds me of a 4g63 honestly.

Comment

I loved mine for the 2 months it was problem-free...

Comment

I loved mine for the 2 months it was problem-free...
                        Did the engine actually have issues or the trans? I know the trans in the fwd cars was utter crap but the engines have been known to take some absolutely serious neglect.

Comment

The transmission had issues, but the engine did as well. The engine had half a dozen oil leaks. I couldn't go a full 300 mile workday without having to put oil in. One of the reasons I chose the GTP over the CL-S I was looking at was due to the fact that the 3800 is revered even more so than the J32! Both cars came with notably problematic automatic transmissions, so I expected trouble from either one there. The GTP had half the miles (49,000, and appeared to be in pristine condition (the CL-S was over 100k, all 4 wheels were curbed, and it had clearly seen better days.)

I bet that CL-S is still on the road somewhere. I dumped the GTP at the Honda dealership when I bought my Fit. Pulled in with an empty gas tank. I bet they couldn't even start it. The fools gave me $3500 in trade-in value for it! I still owed $8500, unfortunately.

Comment

The transmission had issues, but the engine did as well. The engine had half a dozen oil leaks. I couldn't go a full 300 mile workday without having to put oil in. One of the reasons I chose the GTP over the CL-S I was looking at was due to the fact that the 3800 is revered even more so than the J32! Both cars came with notably problematic automatic transmissions, so I expected trouble from either one there. The GTP had half the miles (49,000, and appeared to be in pristine condition (the CL-S was over 100k, all 4 wheels were curbed, and it had clearly seen better days.)

I bet that CL-S is still on the road somewhere. I dumped the GTP at the Honda dealership when I bought my Fit. Pulled in with an empty gas tank. I bet they couldn't even start it. The fools gave me $3500 in trade-in value for it! I still owed $8500, unfortunately.
                            Hey we all come across at least one lemon at some point in our car buying careers haha. Hate you had a bad experience with it though. Its a great platform.

Comment

Same here. I don't think that they're all bad... but mine definitely was. The early 00s were a seriously sketchy time for GM, I think.
                              Though I have the venerated LS engine in my CTS-V (LS2), and even that isn't quite that great. I mean, it's held up WAY beyond the GTP's engine (by about 16,000 miles... and still going strong at 116,000.) However, it consumes enough oil between changes to set off the "low oil" indicator if I don't keep an eye on it (happened twice before I got used to checking.) Apparently, up to 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles is "within spec". To me, that's BS! My L15A in my Fit will go over 10,000 miles between changes without issue. Honestly, I think I may have checked the Fit's oil only a handful of times... I'm just used to it not losing any! It currently has 390,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTShoff View Post
                                You didn't say anything about highway mileage, so I was clarifying.

And I have run into not a few domestic guys that try to pretend their car gets maximum highway mileage everywhere.

Came across a guy with a Challenger R/T that I complimented at the car wash, and all he did was give me a snicker and say "yeah, it gets 30MPG too." I didn't have the heart to tell him my Si got that when I was in the city.

Had another guy tell me that recently as well with another similar performance domestic to our 13 Accord. Didn't have the heart to tell him that our Accord routinely tops 35MPG on the highway and has seen well over 40MPG.

Comment

Working...
                                X