Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Road trip emergency kit recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road trip emergency kit recommendations?

Hi guys,

Havent posted up in a while but here i am. I wanna take my CB for a road trip which is 400 miles total. Now my CB is my daily and i complete at least 20 miles a day. This will be my first time running 163 constant to where i need to be and then the remainder when im on my way back home. What i need to know is if theres any recommendations for stuff i should keep in car in the event of an emergency.

*Note: i will be having kids in the car so i need to be sure i can get to saftey
    if god forbid something happened. *

What i have so far:

Wrenches
    rachet with sockets
    pliers and screwdrivers
    jumper cables
    scissor jack
    4 ton bottle jack
    spare tire

If you guys have anything you feel i should keep on standby, please list it. Like i said, its my first time really putting the car under the stress of weight and milage.

My CB specs:
    stock f22a motor
    5speed transmission
    250,000 miles and counting

*recently replaced my upper coolant hose ans thermostat.*

Thanks in advance.

Water bottles
    First aid kit
    Flares
    Small hammer
    Snacks

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I would get your post count up so you can network with members in the regional forums. There's nothing like having a knowledgeable enthusiast who's willing to be on the side of the road helping you get going. Beyond that I would make sure I have towing/roadside assistance or join AAA. Even cars with fully built engines at the end of the day are in a 20+ year old car, you just never know what might happen.
      '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
      If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

I do 400 miles daily. Used to do it in my swapped and lowered CB7 with 266,000 miles on it. Now I do it in a 2009 Fit (that currently has 350,000 miles on it.) 400 miles shouldn't be a major concern!

Anyway, I suggest getting a AAA Plus membership, if you don't have one already. Roadside assistance (flats, out of gas, etc...) plus a tow up to 100 miles. It's a HUGE comfort knowing that you can be towed to safety in an emergency. I've used my membership at least half a dozen times in my life. Well worth the cost (for me, it's about $80 a year, I believe... it varies from region to region.)

Other than that, give your car a good visual inspection. Make sure all ball joint and axle boots are undamaged. Check the condition of your brakes. Make sure all your fluids are fresh and full. Make sure your tires are in good shape. Maybe even take the car in for an alignment and wheel balance.

If your car is well maintained, there should be nothing to worry about.

Comment

i would recommend some extra fluids, oil, anti-freeze etc. fun things for the kids definitely is a must

Comment

i would take extra fluids and thats it maybe a basic tool kit if you really want to. i would check all your hoses for internal cracking when you squeeze them. i took mine to hardin mt. and back and no problems. at least 900 miles each way and through yellowstone on the way there. it only had about 250k miles back then but i would do it again right now at 280k.
            my build
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202734

Comment

Blankets if it gets cold.

What are your major concerns? Seems like you kinda expect something to go wrong.

Comment

Flashlight. I usually drive more at night, for a little over a year I've had this little LED flashlight that charges using your cigarette lighter, try to find one.

Comment

Things I carry on road trips, in no particular order.

Socket set + extra extensions
                  Small sledge hammer
                  wrenches
                  pliers
                  vice grips
                  mechanics wire, electrical wire
                  duct tape (Canadians love Duct Tape!)
                  Spare Main relay
                  brake fluid, coolant, water, oil, ww fluid
                  FULL SIZE SPARE!!
                  Force bar
                  road flares
                  first aid kit
                  rags
                  flashlight
                  CAA (or AAA in the US)
                  misc hand tools in a box (files, screw drivers, picks, pry bar)
                  small 2ton hydraulic jack
                  2X6 block of wood
                  TOW STRAP
                  Spare fuses
                  Atlas
                  Radar decector
                  used to carry a spare alternator
                  Gloves

Comment

Im about to do the same thing on Friday. I was checking my CB last night and i found out my spare was flat. I guess when you dont use it much it loses air over time. Just soemthing to add to the list...
                    Procrastination is a THIEF of time!!

MY MRT

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203992

My First CB7

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/705233/1990-honda-accord/

Comment

Lucky for you, most people only realize that once they find themselves on the side of the highway with a flat.

Comment

What this guys said
                        Don't forget get a full charge on you Cell phone, additional battery.
                        AAA is a really good thing to have if you think you're going to break down
                        Have a weapon on you Just in case.

Originally posted by Flip-Eye View Post
                        Things I carry on road trips, in no particular order.

Socket set + extra extensions
                        Small sledge hammer
                        wrenches
                        pliers
                        vice grips
                        mechanics wire, electrical wire
                        duct tape (Canadians love Duct Tape!)
                        Spare Main relay
                        brake fluid, coolant, water, oil, ww fluid
                        FULL SIZE SPARE!!
                        Force bar
                        road flares
                        first aid kit
                        rags
                        flashlight
                        CAA (or AAA in the US)
                        misc hand tools in a box (files, screw drivers, picks, pry bar)
                        small 2ton hydraulic jack
                        2X6 block of wood
                        TOW STRAP
                        Spare fuses
                        Atlas
                        Radar decector
                        used to carry a spare alternator
                        Gloves

Comment

Snacks +++++++++ of course you gotta have snacks trail bars/dried fruit or even dried meats especially if in rural areas. Food ain't always easy too find in the woods lol and if your hungry enough you can become weak and become somethings food lol. I love those blue led work light/flashlights from Harbor Freight Tools Clip on them allows easy placement without hand holding it and its bright and hella cheap. Also state legal knife that can be used in any legal fashion deemed necessary. Smartphone with smart apps and it being charged well, buy a 2nd battery for your cell phone and keep that fully charged always and that way your good. Way to make fire aka lighter maybe scripto or bic or even those corner store crack lighters will work just fine so that's about it in my kit lightweight, easy to maneuver with and legal and ready for just about anything it is really my kit too no BS
                          " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

This is a good post to reference before I head off in my 24 year old car this summer. Hopefully she's gonna see both coasts!

Comment

Whatever my girlfriend say we need...lol I just fire the wagon up and drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X