No announcement yet.

rustyaccord : 1992 Accord EX (2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you're really going to like the Koni suspension.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      I think you're really going to like the Koni suspension.
      I'm excited to feel the difference! Since I'm driving out to Indiana to install everything, I'm hoping I get about the same driving conditions both ways so I can have a better comparison between stock and modified. I'm sure either way it's going to be a night and day difference. I'm interested to see if it has any effect on gas mileage...

Comment

I figure I should get these pictures up. I hate using photobucket, slows my computer down. Everything went together pretty smooth. I ended up having a broken spring in the front so the timing couldn't have been better.

The lower shock bolt was stuck inside the bushing sleeve so I ended up spinning the rubber out of the rear passenger knuckle bushing. I twisted the bolt and buggered the threads a little bit also. (new ones in the mail) Luckily I had the poly bushings for the front upper control arms which fit perfectly. I'll probably have to do that to the drivers side at some point but I'll wait until I feel like it. It does ride a little stiffer as I was expecting but it's not at all uncomfortable. During assembly I goofed and used an impact to tighten the top nuts down on the rear shocks so I have one adjuster that is stuck fully soft. It seems like that's a common problem with Koni shocks, I just need to tighten a crescent wrench on it and bump it loose.

So now I have a completely new suspension including upper control arms and lower ball joints. Gas mileage going from Lincoln, NE to Spiceland, IN was about 24.2. Coming back on the same route I got 26.7mpg. I'm pretty happy with it considering the engine is humming at 3700 at interstate speed. Next project is the rear brakes as the pads are almost gone. I'm thinking I might as well replace the wheel bearings while it's apart... But that's a story for another day.

Thanks for reading!
        Last edited by rustyaccord; 10-25-2017, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Those of you who are in the facebook group know that I spent my weekend elbows deep in a timing belt change, along with new cam seal and lower spark plug tube seals. Everything went very smooth and she's running smoother and I was able to adjust the valve train quieter than it was before. I have always been curious about the difference between balance shafts connected or disconnected. Particularly with regards to gas mileage. I left the belt off when I put everything back together and so far it seems better (the extra vibration doesn't bother me yet).

MPG with balance shafts connected: 24.2 City
          MPG without balance shafts connected: Anywhere from 23.6 to 24.6

Basically no difference. I'm going to go ahead and order a new balancer belt.

That's enough under the hood work for a while; I will never get used to how bad my back hurts after working on this thing.
          Last edited by rustyaccord; 10-25-2017, 05:09 PM.

Comment

You mentioned you have a WS2 on your wagon. Im curious to know how did you end up routing that exhaust? I know the cut out is at an extreme angle vs the sedans which is straight. I have my old WS2 just collecting dust and I'd like to eventually use it.

Good progress although you last photos need to be rehosted as they are not showing up
            Henry R
            Koni/Neuspeed
            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
            1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
            Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
            made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
              You mentioned you have a WS2 on your wagon. Im curious to know how did you end up routing that exhaust? I know the cut out is at an extreme angle vs the sedans which is straight. I have my old WS2 just collecting dust and I'd like to eventually use it.

Good progress although you last photos need to be rehosted as they are not showing up
              I just noticed the broken pics last night. The WS2 hangs up nicely against the bumper. What I did was take a sharpie and followed the curve of the muffler tip on the bumper and just used a drum sander on a dremel to cut a new relief in the bumper. It doesn't look too bad though it would be nice without the factory cutout on the far corner.

Comment

Could you get a picture of it?
                Henry R
                Koni/Neuspeed
                1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                  Could you get a picture of it?
                  Here you go. Sorry it took so long, I've been pretty busy with my classes the last couple weeks.

All I did was trace the muffler profile with a sharpie then shaved it down with a dremel drum sander. You won't have to modify any of the hangers, just the bumper skin. I also had to do some touch up with the dremel a couple times after the muffler 'settled' into place.

The only issue I'm having with the WS2 exhaust is that the res hangs down so low that I keep scraping it. The rubber hangers are all new so there must be an alignment issue with some of the pipe flanges where they may have gotten twisted during assembly. I haven't looked too in depth yet since I don't like crawling around under the car.

Comment

Well, it's been a while since I posted an update on the old wagon. I really haven't been working on it that much, so thank you Honda for such an amazing and reliable vehicle! So a few updates:

Spring 2018

Both rear Koni's blew... I don't know if it was because of the springs which sagged pretty bad (I don't think H&R optimized these for the wagon) or if at least one was defective. I do remember one of them had some oil around the seal when I installed them.

I wasn't too beat up about it. Eventually I'll get around to sending them back to be rebuilt. I was always curious about the KYB AGX shocks since they seem fairly comparable to the Koni Yellow's. I definitely like the adjustment knob on the shock body a lot better. I went ahead and installed factory springs back in it too to get rid of the sagging. The exhaust hasn't scraped on anything since!

The next thing to fix was a shorting issue after excessive rain. I think the sunroof was leaking enough water into the car and somehow shorting the right blinker to the taillights. After tearing out the entire interior of the car, I found nothing but a puddle of coolant under the passenger carpet. Great... I didn't have enough time that weekend to replace the heater core so after stripping out all the wiring for the ABS unit, I put it all back together.

Now I know that Racewagon is definitely a possibility...

Yes that's an axe holding up the carpet. It was the only thing that fit.

Fall 2018

I eventually got fed up with the heater leaking on my beautiful burgundy carpet so I bit the bullet one Friday afternoon and tore into it. I probably should have replaced the heater hoses as well but the old ones looked to be in good enough shape. I also drained and flushed out all the green coolant and stop leak (PO dumped that in, I would never use that shit) and replaced it with the good blue stuff from Napa. I started at 1:00pm Friday and was shutting off the lights in the garage at 12:30am.

I am never, EVER, doing that again. I was so sore that I could hardly sleep that night. But at least the carpet is dry. If this core starts leaking, I'm looping the hoses and going without a heater.

Summer 2019

I finally got around to rebuilding the brakes. I'm not quite satisfied yet as I still want to install a steel braided line kit, and the two hard lines in the rear are about to rust through. Pads, rotors, and wheel bearings are all done except for the rear hubs. Damn partsg**k sent me the wrong ones and I ordered them such a long time ago I doubt they would work with me.

I'm still debating on buying 40 acres and filling it up with junk CB's. Some of these odd parts are getting hard to find around here!

Thanks for reading.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Ya, that's possible one of the suckiest jobs there is to do for the cb7. Glad you got the leak fixed though !

Comment

Working...
                      X