Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Short throw shifter off ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short throw shifter off ebay

I just wanna know it this will actually work on our Accords because i cant find a single one for the Accord

http://m.ebay.com/itm/330768568795?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

Do not buy cheap ebay parts for important functions of your car. ie - anything related to motor, transmission, brakes, suspension, safety.

The other big give away that this is a piece of crap and probably won't work with anything is the title "Details about BILLET ALUMINUM BLACK MT SHORT THROW SHIFTER+BLACK JDM TYPE-R 5 SPEED/GEAR KNOB"

JDM Type-R, really?

If you really want to a short throw shifter, read this:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=120331

Comment

do short throw shifters really make that much difference?

Comment

Originally posted by marvin75 View Post
        do short throw shifters really make that much difference?
        They do make the shift shorter, yes. But as experienced folks will tell you it also can be disastrous. Most associate it with quick shifting, but at the same time the short shift is not as accurate and can lead to missing gears.

So in the end ya have someone high revving, trying to go from 3rd to 4th, and hitting 2nd by accident = blown transmission.

Comment

Yes it does. Even just the prelude shifter makes a very noticeable difference.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

From my experience, the best route is a (92-96) Prelude shifter box. As stated above it's just a shorter throw to scratch your gears. I had a Neuspeed short shift adapter for an Accord and that thing did what it was intended to do. The only drawbacks were it was hard to get in & out of reverse. I had to, at times, punch it with an open fist to get it out. At first I thought it might be worn shift cables but it wasn't. Then I thought it was the reverse idler gear so I replaced it with a known good one but the problem persisted. Then I took off the short shifter and the problem never came back.

Comment

Many problems have been associated with short shifters. I've used the Neuspeed adapter as well, and it was a headache. The retaining screw kept backing out (fixable with loctite, but I never bothered), it hit the console in 5th and Reverse, and the shifting itself was annoyingly notchy. I sold the adapter and went with a modified stock shifter (after all, the only function of any short shifter, be it an adapter or full lever, is to move the cable mounting point). I figured that would at least eliminate the hitting of the console. I was wrong. Still hit. Shifts were still notchy. One day, while racing an SRT-4, I redlined 3rd gear and slammed it into what I thought was 4th. Due to the notchiness, I didn't realize I had instead slammed it into 2nd... I watched the tach spin until it could go no further. I limped home, certain that I blew my engine. By some miracle, I did no noticeable damage. I did, however, set the shifter back to stock before driving the car again. Shifts were like butter. Longer, but smooth and accurate. Smooth and accurate ends up being faster than short and notchy.
              I believe a few other staff members blew their engines by doing pretty much the same thing I did. Not sure if a short shifter was to blame in every case, but it's entirely possible.

The Prelude shifter mentioned above seems to be the best option for shortening the throw a bit... but not so much that it causes problems. Do that, then get some aluminum shifter bushings for the shifter bucket. Zip-tie your cables together in a number of locations to prevent them from flopping around (I haven't tried this, but I've read that it helps reduce the sloppy feeling somewhat.) Ensure all other rubber bushings in the shift assembly are in good condition. Make sure the shifter itself is lubricated on the pivot points. That will be your best option.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Many problems have been associated with short shifters. I've used the Neuspeed adapter as well, and it was a headache. The retaining screw kept backing out (fixable with loctite, but I never bothered), it hit the console in 5th and Reverse, and the shifting itself was annoyingly notchy. I sold the adapter and went with a modified stock shifter (after all, the only function of any short shifter, be it an adapter or full lever, is to move the cable mounting point). I figured that would at least eliminate the hitting of the console. I was wrong. Still hit. Shifts were still notchy. One day, while racing an SRT-4, I redlined 3rd gear and slammed it into what I thought was 4th. Due to the notchiness, I didn't realize I had instead slammed it into 2nd... I watched the tach spin until it could go no further. I limped home, certain that I blew my engine. By some miracle, I did no noticeable damage. I did, however, set the shifter back to stock before driving the car again. Shifts were like butter. Longer, but smooth and accurate. Smooth and accurate ends up being faster than short and notchy.
                I believe a few other staff members blew their engines by doing pretty much the same thing I did. Not sure if a short shifter was to blame in every case, but it's entirely possible.

The Prelude shifter mentioned above seems to be the best option for shortening the throw a bit... but not so much that it causes problems. Do that, then get some aluminum shifter bushings for the shifter bucket. Zip-tie your cables together in a number of locations to prevent them from flopping around (I haven't tried this, but I've read that it helps reduce the sloppy feeling somewhat.) Ensure all other rubber bushings in the shift assembly are in good condition. Make sure the shifter itself is lubricated on the pivot points. That will be your best option.
                ya. sounds like no option is a good option. Especially since most people get a short shifter to shift quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

What all do you need from the prelude because there is this 5 speed 96ish prelude at the local junk yard and its got a copletely intact shifter so i can just pull everything from there

Comment

http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1005

just read the whole thread. you don't actually need the prelude cables.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                      http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1005

just read the whole thread. you don't actually need the prelude cables.
                      Thank you guys seriously i know i sound so stupid but im new so i guess its expected 😂

Comment

So is it better to use the prelude cables or the accord cables?

Comment

Accord cables. If there's any difference at all.

Comment

I used my stock cables. Mine bolted in with no modifications to anything.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

My hand is faster than my foot, yours likely is too.
                              ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Working...
                              X