Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

timing cover deletion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing cover deletion

i have searched but couldn't find . i see a lot of pics of the timing belt exposed. can the upper and lower timing covers be left off. will it hurt anything?recommended?

Im sure its there for a reason.

Comment

Not initially. You can accumulate debris in that area and cause accelerated wear. I wouldn't do it

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by marvin75 View Post
        i have searched but couldn't find . i see a lot of pics of the timing belt exposed. can the upper and lower timing covers be left off. will it hurt anything?recommended?
        run down a dusty road and dont blink your eyes. thats how your accord will feel.

Comment

do they just do it for show then i wonder, since it doesn't seem practical then why do it? or do they just leave the top off when they have an adjustable cam gear for easy access. makes me curious .

Comment

It's for show. Technically they are taking a chance. Slim chance, but it is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              It's for show. Technically they are taking a chance. Slim chance, but it is there.
              drive down the road with no timing covers on, get a pebble bounce up in there and you can be on the side of the road real fast
              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

A budy of mine put an AEM gear on the end of his cam and cut the top of the cover off. He got some water on the belt and it slipped a notch. I wouldn't do it unless your car is strictly for show
                Procrastination is a THIEF of time!!

MY MRT

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203992

My First CB7

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/705233/1990-honda-accord/

Comment

exactly why i asked to get more info. i will not be doing his on second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by marvin75 View Post
                    Will it hurt anything?
                    If anything other than air gets in, It can/will wreck everything.

On a show car, yea it can be done (Still with risk)
                    On a daily driver - Its just dumb to do (and there is actually no genuine need to), Seriously why?
                    Just, So you can see a spinning cam gear once every now and then?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

It's left off on occasion so when you stop to get gas you can retard the timing of your cam because it's so hot out. That's the best reason I can come up with. I would wager most of the cover deletes you see are because they broke it or lost the bolts upon install of the engine/timing belt.....
                      Now remember on my 91 civic si the timing belt cover would hit the hood with my zc motor swap. I put washers on my hood hinges, all my friends left the timing belt cover off on their cars.
                      ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Nice way to look at it!

Your ECU will adjust the timing accordingly for outside temperatures, though...lol I'm pretty sure most of the pictures you see of open timing belts is merely for show/bling. it serves as no mechanical gain to do so. As mentioned it will actually prematurely wear out your belt and possibly cause catastrophic failure if a larger piece of debris gets caught up in there.

If you need to access an adjustable timing gear you could cut a small hole in the timing cover. At least that way it will greatly reduce the possibility of debris getting inside.
                        Last edited by GhostAccord; 05-25-2014, 10:17 AM.
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

or make a clear timing cover out of clear plastic that will not melt with the heat of the engine

that will cost a bit of money

Comment

or make a clear timing cover out of clear plastic that will not melt with the heat of the engine

that will cost a bit of money
                            that would actually be pretty sweet like maybe lexan or something like that. man if water can make it slip off you definitely better keep it on.

Comment

if it was cost effective to produce some company would have made them long ago

Comment

Working...
                              X