Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Do It Yourself: Stereo Removal/Installation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When i got mine the previous owner cut the oem plug that went to the stereo so i had to wire it up with a harness it sucked haha

Comment

Originally posted by CozmoCon View Post
      When i got mine the previous owner cut the oem plug that went to the stereo so i had to wire it up with a harness it sucked haha
      same here... I got a factory harness from the junkyard, matched the wires, and butted em up...

Comment

i had to remove the housing around the e-brake as well
        Instagram: robkhaira

MRT: 1991 EX-R: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...52#post3273952

Comment

I got a 93 honda accord 10 anniversary and tried to replace the car stereo. The car has the factory radio in. I tried to replace it with a ken wood. I bought the after market harness adapter and wired it color to color from the adapter to the new radio. Installed it and turned the key. Radio won't turn on. I've looked at wiring diagrams checked fuses and nothing. Tested the radio on and seems like it isn't getting any power. Tested the radio new radio in my other car and it turns on. I then installed the factory radio back in and got power and the factory radio turned on. I made sure if I bought the right adapter harness. Bought 2 so far and there both the same. I tried the aftermarket radio again with both new harnesses and still nothing. No power. I have no clue what to do. The factory harness isn't cut. I checked and all wires on it are still well insulated.

Sorry for the long paragraph

Comment

after reading this very good write-up i decided to replace the bad aftermarket radio that was in my car when i bought it. took everything apart and guess what i see ? the worst wiring hack job I've ever seen. my radio has been hardwired in and the factory wires have been cut clear back the the main harness.the butt connectors are on such short wires they can't be crimped , which explains why the radio wasn't working. so i guess i am going to have to visit the junkyards to see if i can find enough of the harness to fix this. sorry for the long thread. wish me luck.

Comment

Thanks for a great tutorial - photos will help a lot with replacing my stereo

Comment

I love this DIY ! One of the first projects that I ever did on my cb!

Comment

I used this thread to start my Double DIN install - many thanks to the OP and others for the great DIY.

I had no idea what to expect - like how the radio would be supported etc... so I'm posting a couple of notes for the next double DINner.

I used some install parts from Best Buy, which made things go very quickly. I'm not plugging this brand in particular - I'm sure there are others that are nearly identical.

Metra 95-7801 Double DIN multi-kit for Honda 1990-06
                  Metra 72-7800 Honda Speaker connectors 82-up
                  (Honda speaker wires terminate at the speaker via a unique modular connector & these adapters allowed me to simply attach a 3" pigtail and make the connection in a snap. Not required, but makes things a good deal faster).

As to the Double-DIN aspect-
                  -the new radio is held in by the front bezel - no rear or bottom supports. As such, the radio/shelf opening must be unmolested, or the kit can't snap in properly. The kit required quite a bit of trimming (see graphic I made). The fit is pretty tight, so I couldn't leave any extra plastic behind.

I also had to trim a small amount of plastic off the side of the JVC radio unit so the adapter kit would fit it without distorting (radio was just a tiny bit wider than the kit wanted). However, a dremel with a cutting wheel made quick work of all this cutting. Once everything trimmed, it snapped in perfectly. ..it looks good to me.

edit - I failed to mention that I put in four 6 1/2" speakers. The fronts were Pioneers & no mods were required on the doors or the speakers for the install. I did have to use the longer screws that came with them since the OEM ones I removed proved a bit too short. For the rears I used Kicker & I had to use the Dremel to cut 4 small tabs off each speaker frame so they would fit into the OEM holes. Other than the cutting these went in using all the stock hardware.
                  Last edited by 2Sheds_Jackson; 02-09-2015, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I have yet to remove the rear deck speakers. They are trash.
                    Does anyone know the size? 6x9?

Comment

depends on your model..ex-r have 6x9, and the others have something smaller, 6.5 maybe, can`t remember. Can always go to your local junkyard and get the 6x9 if you have the smaller version and want bigger.
                      Last edited by DanCan; 02-17-2015, 11:42 PM.

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Originally posted by 2Sheds_Jackson View Post
                        I used this thread to start my Double DIN install - many thanks to the OP and others for the great DIY.

I had no idea what to expect - like how the radio would be supported etc... so I'm posting a couple of notes for the next double DINner.

I used some install parts from Best Buy, which made things go very quickly. I'm not plugging this brand in particular - I'm sure there are others that are nearly identical.

Metra 95-7801 Double DIN multi-kit for Honda 1990-06
                        Metra 72-7800 Honda Speaker connectors 82-up
                        (Honda speaker wires terminate at the speaker via a unique modular connector & these adapters allowed me to simply attach a 3" pigtail and make the connection in a snap. Not required, but makes things a good deal faster).

As to the Double-DIN aspect-
                        -the new radio is held in by the front bezel - no rear or bottom supports. As such, the radio/shelf opening must be unmolested, or the kit can't snap in properly. The kit required quite a bit of trimming (see graphic I made). The fit is pretty tight, so I couldn't leave any extra plastic behind.

I also had to trim a small amount of plastic off the side of the JVC radio unit so the adapter kit would fit it without distorting (radio was just a tiny bit wider than the kit wanted). However, a dremel with a cutting wheel made quick work of all this cutting. Once everything trimmed, it snapped in perfectly. ..it looks good to me.

edit - I failed to mention that I put in four 6 1/2" speakers. The fronts were Pioneers & no mods were required on the doors or the speakers for the install. I did have to use the longer screws that came with them since the OEM ones I removed proved a bit too short. For the rears I used Kicker & I had to use the Dremel to cut 4 small tabs off each speaker frame so they would fit into the OEM holes. Other than the cutting these went in using all the stock hardware.

Thanks, this is very helpful for people like me wanting to install a double DIN unit. Question though, once you snap the Metra kit into the dash with your unit, how do you take it back out? Looking at the diagram, the 4 tabs you have left on the front bezel are easy to insert but it looks difficult to pry them to pop the assembly out.

Comment

Can anyone what tell me what needs to be done to replace an old aftermarket stereo with a new one? My local stereo shop told me it would take an hour and cost $55. I'm just a little confused on why. Don't you literally just slide the old one out, plug the new one in and just slide it back in? They are both single din, and the employee came out and looked at my deck so I know he doesn't think I still have stock.

Here's the old one: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Yr85qwX...-KDC-248U.html

And the new: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE1...T.html?tp=5684

Comment

I'm not trying to be a dick, but the first post in the thread shows how to replace a head unit. It's the same concept for all radios, just more or less wiring depending on your applications.

Kenwood and alpine have different harnesses, so you can just follow the installation instructions that come with the new unit. There should be a reference to OEM wire diagrams so you can DIY it somewhere too.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                              I'm not trying to be a dick, but the first post in the thread shows how to replace a head unit. It's the same concept for all radios, just more or less wiring depending on your applications.

Kenwood and alpine have different harnesses, so you can just follow the installation instructions that come with the new unit. There should be a reference to OEM wire diagrams so you can DIY it somewhere too.
                              Thanks for that. I didn't see a single post in this thread about anything other than the stock stereo, so I wasn't sure. The harness looked similar in the pictures so that's why I thought I might be able to get away with just plugging it in. Ended up connecting it myself and it runs great! Thanks!

Comment

Heads up OP, all of your pictures aren't showing anymore.
                                My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                                Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                                Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Working...
                                X