Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

The G-Man's H23/VTEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The G-Man's H23/VTEC

This may eventually change or whatever, but after much random discussion with Nic (90cb7sleeper) over the past few days and such I think instead of just refreshing my H22A before putting it in to go all out and create an H23/VTEC to have lots of torque matched with high compression. This means more time with the F22 but overall I think it I will be better off.

At this point in time I only physically have a full H22A. I can get F22 rods and crank very easily.

So without further adieu the proposed parts list:

H22A block
    F22 Rods
    F22 Crank, balanced and micropolished
    Nippon Racing 87 mm P5P-J0 pistons *see below for random piston info*
    H22A head, slightly ported and polished
    Stock H22 Fuel injectors
    Main studs and rod bolts
    ARP head studs
    Honda main and rod bearings, or possibly ACL

Intake manifold and exhaust options will probably be decided later, although I have ideas now

---------------------------------------
    Piston info:
    I plan on using Nippon Racing P5P-J0 pistons which are Prelude Type-S pistons, they will provide for higher compression. But you might be wondering why 87 mm and not boring over. Well, my block is marked BBBB which means my cylinder bores from the factory are between 87.000-87.010 mm and my stock pistons are also BBBB which means they are between 86.980-86.993 mm. So they are slightly less than 87 mm. To use a 87 mm piston I would have to have the block bored/honed ever so slightly to make sure piston to cylinder clearances are within the 0.007-0.030 mm spec.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Sounds good Gary. I like the plans.

Keep us posted

-Jordan

I ♥/Miss My Coupe

Comment

Sounds good, i guess i need to get that one block out of the garage and pull the crank and rods out of it.....

Comment

Questions:
        Anybody see the need for anything other than stock F22 rods? Any particular reasons they would not be strong enough for this?

What exactly goes on when re-bushing a rod to make it work with a floating wrist pin?
        Last edited by The G-Man; 12-20-2007, 02:16 AM.
        Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

I just recieved my nippon racing P5P pistons. They look really good. For what you want, stock rods will be plenty. As for the rebushing, I have no idea... the k20 rods I'm using have floating wrist pins stock. Just make sure you get some ARP rod bolts. I think you're gonna have to add a thicker head gasket to your list other wise you may have pistons hitting the head.

Comment

I would use the arp rod bolts as mentioned above and I would consider getting your rods shot peened. What about the cam and header? surely your not gonna leave it stock, or do you already have something nice in the h22?
            spin city

Comment

Originally posted by dbsharp
              I would use the arp rod bolts as mentioned above and I would consider getting your rods shot peened. What about the cam and header? surely your not gonna leave it stock, or do you already have something nice in the h22?
              As of now cam plans are stock. Possibly a delta regrind or something in the future. I am not sure. But right now I have 2 sets of stock H22 cams.

Header, again not sure. Possibly a megan racing or something like that to start. If somehow funds become available I would definitely be looking into a Bisimoto one, along with some other Bisimoto parts.
              Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

I have yet to see someone build an H23V for high compression. Someone might have built one at some point but I have never seen it. I think someone else on here was also planning on building a high compression H23V but I think he was planning on using the H23 block. I definately look forward to you continuing through with your plans on this. I have seen too many projects start and never finish so I hope this one will be seen through to completion. I don't feel like breaking out the Cisco calculator but what is compression looking like with this currently planned setup?
                Preludeman92 what engine are these K20 pistons in?
                "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

Originally posted by H23Accord
                  I have yet to see someone build an H23V for high compression. Someone might have built one at some point but I have never seen it. I think someone else on here was also planning on building a high compression H23V but I think he was planning on using the H23 block. I definately look forward to you continuing through with your plans on this. I have seen too many projects start and never finish so I hope this one will be seen through to completion. I don't feel like breaking out the Cisco calculator but what is compression looking like with this currently planned setup?
                  Preludeman92 what engine are these K20 pistons in?
                  Yeah, it has been done. There is a guy near me that is throwing one in a Prelude this weekend. You are right though, it is a popular turbo setup.

Brady mentioned your setup briefly and the numbers it is currently putting out this past Sunday, very impressive. I may or may not have mentioned to him what I am messing around with.
                  Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Ah ok yea I thought you seemed familiar. You came down for that mini meet that I was too sick to attend. Would have been good to meet you and also see Brian.
                    Yea I was satisfied with the numbers. I was really only going for a base tune since I need to break it in (engine had 310 miles on it when it hit the dyno.) I would like to go back and do a little more tuning before I boost just to see if I can achieve some higher numbers.
                    What is the compression of the one the guy is throwing into a lude this weekend?
                    "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by H23Accord
                      Ah ok yea I thought you seemed familiar. You came down for that mini meet that I was too sick to attend. Would have been good to meet you and also see Brian.
                      Yea I was satisfied with the numbers. I was really only going for a base tune since I need to break it in (engine had 310 miles on it when it hit the dyno.) I would like to go back and do a little more tuning before I boost just to see if I can achieve some higher numbers.
                      What is the compression of the one the guy is throwing into a lude this weekend?
                      He is also using P5P pistons, so in the 12:1 range.
                      Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Ah. Well I'd be interested in seeing what kind of numbers he puts down. Did he build it like you plan on building it or did he use the H23 block or what?

Comment

He is using an H23 block, and has a head that has upgraded valve train, not sure why because he has stock cams.

But really the only thing besides pistons, rods, and crank that make the H22 block different from the H23 is the piston squirters that are in the H22 block.

Reason I am using a H22 block is because I bought a full H22, and can get F22 crank and rods really easily.
                          Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Yea Brady and I have talked about the similarities between the 2 blocks before.
                            Yea I understand the reasoning behind you using the H22 block. I considered that for a brief moment but ended up going with the H23 again. Definately keep us posted on what you end up doing and how it all pans out. I am interested in seeing the final result.

Comment

Ok, so I like ran the numbers through Cisco's engine calculator. It may not be right considering there is no clear cut value for a same piston with longer stroke.
                              So here is what I used for the Modified column in the calculator:
                              New Cylinder bore: 87
                              New Stroke: 95
                              Resurface/Mill: 0
                              Head gasket thickness: 0.030 (slightly thicker gasket)
                              Head gasket bore: 87.5
                              New Piston CC: 7.5 (a number I found in a search on Type S pistons)
                              New Head CC: 53.8
                              Head bore: 87
                              Piston-to-deck height: 0.0246850394 (this number is where I accounted for the H22 pistons to be taller than F22/H23 pistons. H22 pistons are .5 mm taller. So I added .5 mm to the stock piston-to-deck height of 0.005 in)
                              Number of Cylinders: 4 (duh!)

So, with those values here is what I got for the calculated stuff:
                              Total combustion chamber CC: 47.15
                              Cylinder CC: 564.74
                              Head gasket CC: 4.58
                              Static compression ratio: 13.0:1 (Is that even street-able on 93 octane pump gas? Or even the right number?)
                              Piston-to-deck height CC: 3.727
                              Total displacement: 2258.98

So other questions:
                              How thick of a head gasket would it take to make using a stock timing belt hard?
                              Is this even right?

Ninja edit:
                              I just used this compression ratio calculator and got 12.1:1
                              http://www.bsperformance.com/compcalc/compcalc.htm

I used H22A piston in H23A block because I am using F22 rods and crank, and that must be what that value accounts for considering the H22A and H23A blocks are the same.
                              Last edited by The G-Man; 12-21-2007, 01:21 AM.
                              Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X