Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

h22/h23 frankenstien, oil squirters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22/h23 frankenstien, oil squirters

i have searched and searched,, but no answer..

i have a h23 and a h22 sitting out back,, the h23 head is bad.. can i somehow make the oilsquirters work with the h23 crank, i am doing a frankenstien, and wanna get all my thoughts right before teardown.... i know this setup is suppose to be bad for throwing bearings,, but i feel if i could make the oil squirters work it will be alot safer. also i do not want low compression, whitch pistons would you recomend on the h23 rods.. this will have the h22 head btw..
    "Self Renewed"

It's always been my opinion that the oil squirters will drastically reduce your oil pressure compare to a similar block without. Personally I wouldn't run them just so I could have a little more peace of mind about the main bearings getting sufficient pressure. Honda didn't feel the need to put them in the H23 from the factory so I think I'd go with that. You're not going to be reaching engine speeds that warrant oil squirters anyways.

As for what piston to use, you could use a H22 piston but you'll come out of the bore .023" so I'd definitely run a thicker headgasket. With a factory JDM piston you'll be right about 10.8:1 and with a Type S piston you'll be closer to 11.8:1(both values are assuming a .034" headgasket is used to clear piston height).
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

so my mahle gold series pistons 11:5 :1 would work with the h23 crank and rods in my h22 block....and not hit the head, especially if i got a thicker gasket...?

also but won't it still reach 8,000 rpms, and i still needsome cooling power to be squirted on the rods and such..?
      "Self Renewed"

Comment

no ideas anyone.. help me..
        "Self Renewed"

Comment

if you're running an h23a1 block, you should drive it like one or it will have a much shorter life. the h23a (dohc vtec motor from the JDM 5th gen wagon) has them.

they're more for cooling than lubrication though. there are other ways to dissipate heat, but the best one is to keep the RPM down and not make that excessive heat to start with. there are more horror stories about machined blocks cracking thanks to poor oil squirter installation than there are about blocks melting.

you should just think of a frankenstein as a nicer h23a1, not an h22a with more displacement.
          ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

(Depends on your budget)

Personal I would cryo-treat my h23 crank and micro-polish it and cryo-treat the rods too. Plus, you can used the gsr arp rod studs from 94-01 gsr (9mm) w/your h23 rods....
            Also, you can get your h23 rods and crank treat by this company.. their prices are pretty cheap..
            http://cryopro.com/engine/index.html
            check this link out H23 VTEC
            JDM H23 VTEC PROJECT
            JDM H22/F22/H23/B18 PARTS FOR SALE
            91 Accord Sedan Ex Mulberry Pearl Red (GAVE IT AWAY) Turbo
            91 accord Ex wagon Green (SOLD)
            92 Accord Lx (SOLD)
            92 civic sedan Lx (SOLD)
            93 accord Ex wagon Frost White (parting out: SOLD)
            07 Fit SSS (Traded)
            07 FG2 Si Sedan (Traded)
            05 Honda Pilot EXL Pearl White
            97 Honda Odyssey LX W/Sunroof Pearl White[/B]

http://1facewatch.com/

Looking for a referral and planning on switching to Cricket Wireless

Comment

Not an h22

A friend and I had this swap in an 93 prelude and it ended up lasting about 4 months before we spun a bearing. You CANNOT drive it like an h22! To be honest with you the gain wasn't even that noticeable and yes we had the oil squirter's in there. Part of the problem might have been the fact that my friend drove it like an idiot and shifted above 8K way more then he should have but I agree with what was said above. As for the oil squirter's i don't know if they helped. Maybe without them it would have lasted 5 months.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Originally posted by peego
                (Depends on your budget)

Personal I would cryo-treat my h23 crank and micro-polish it and cryo-treat the rods too. Plus, you can used the gsr arp rod studs from 94-01 gsr (9mm) w/your h23 rods....
                Also, you can get your h23 rods and crank treat by this company.. their prices are pretty cheap..
                http://cryopro.com/engine/index.html
                check this link out H23 VTEC
                since an h22a can be had for somewhere in the $1200 range, what would be the point? i have yet to see any real reason to do this combo. there is no upside like with the ls/vtec.

there is a reason this swap combo never really caught on like others.

Comment

Originally posted by rickyduckworth
                  since an h22a can be had for somewhere in the $1200 range, what would be the point?
                  your above statement is true. But as for I, its a personal choice to build a jdm h23/h23 vtec... To, others its a waste of time and money... "To each his own"
                  JDM H23 VTEC PROJECT
                  JDM H22/F22/H23/B18 PARTS FOR SALE
                  91 Accord Sedan Ex Mulberry Pearl Red (GAVE IT AWAY) Turbo
                  91 accord Ex wagon Green (SOLD)
                  92 Accord Lx (SOLD)
                  92 civic sedan Lx (SOLD)
                  93 accord Ex wagon Frost White (parting out: SOLD)
                  07 Fit SSS (Traded)
                  07 FG2 Si Sedan (Traded)
                  05 Honda Pilot EXL Pearl White
                  97 Honda Odyssey LX W/Sunroof Pearl White[/B]

http://1facewatch.com/

Looking for a referral and planning on switching to Cricket Wireless

Comment

more displacement is better for lower rpm's correct,, basically you get your power faster.. and for someone who is like me and want to feel the torque, as compared to the h22 that to me doesn't have any, compared to me f22.
                    i just am not happy with the h22 as is.. it's fast, but i want it to feel fast, without nitrous or forced induction
                    "Self Renewed"

Comment

Originally posted by rickyduckworth
                      if you're running an h23a1 block, you should drive it like one or it will have a much shorter life. the h23a (dohc vtec motor from the JDM 5th gen wagon) has them.

they're more for cooling than lubrication though. there are other ways to dissipate heat, but the best one is to keep the RPM down and not make that excessive heat to start with. there are more horror stories about machined blocks cracking thanks to poor oil squirter installation than there are about blocks melting.

you should just think of a frankenstein as a nicer h23a1, not an h22a with more displacement.

Can you go into more detail on the squirters and the installation?

Just curious as I just finished assembly on my new motor.
                      Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                      01-01-2019

Comment

the h22 and the h23 share the same block theres is no difference exactly the same the diff in the motor is srtoke and compression ratio as far as the short block goes and the 23 doesnt come with squirters............do what you want to with it drive it like you want your the one paying for it but oersonally i wouldnt twist above 7200 rpm just my 2 cents
                        F22A1:blew up
                        F22A1/H22:blew up
                        F22A6/H22: " "
                        F22A4/H22: " "
                        H23A1 boosted:blew up
                        H23A1:traded
                        H23A1/H22 built:still in progress (getting my feet wet)

drive it like you stole it
                        FCB7(FRANKENSTEIN CB7 CLUB)

Comment

Originally posted by peego
                          your above statement is true. But as for I, its a personal choice to build a jdm h23/h23 vtec... To, others its a waste of time and money... "To each his own"
                          i spent $4000 on an '85 merkur xr4ti and getting it to run 12's while driving it daily and also retaining (or achieving) reliability. the older i get, the lazier and more frugal i get......probably out of necessity though

Comment

Originally posted by bjaccord
                            Can you go into more detail on the squirters and the installation?

Just curious as I just finished assembly on my new motor.
                            well the problems i was talking about was how they got the squirters in there. sometimes, the sleeves would crack, sometimes the squirters would come out, sometimes there was interference with the piston itself.

Comment

Gotcha, so with any common sense at all anyone could install them.

I thought there was some sort of secret to them or something.

Only thing I checked was that there was nothing plugging the squirter assembly, and that the pistons and rods had plenty of clearance.
                              Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                              01-01-2019

Comment

Working...
                              X