Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

All motor H series, good start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All motor H series, good start?

Not sure what parts I should start collecting, I was thinking do these 3 things first myself until I have more money for cams and a hondata s200. These seem to be relatively diy, though ive never really removed pistons or messed with valves but am willing to try it if it can be done yourself with out some 123123 dollar fancy tool. Was gonna shoot for around the 11.5 : 1 comp. ratio

higher comp. head gasket (spoon?) or just take a layer out of a stock one ?

Some sort of high comp valves (Any brand suggestions/experiences welcome)

Type-s pistons

Already have a intake manifold, and a good header(happy i edited it). Ive done lots of the little mods for every hp i can get like rerouting cooling lines, ditching the egr, hondata h. sheild gasket etc. (havent started reducing weight though, lol)
    Last edited by myk; 06-14-2007, 01:19 PM.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    ..It's not cheap to build a fast CB7, especially NA. However, if you're willing to put the money into the car, it's well worth it in the end. There ARE faster cars out there, but some people, like me, want THIS particular car to be fast!...
    Sold to:tanNn2koo,9tAkord,ThrakBarts,nahmo,andrizzle,or anger
    Bought from:93a-lude, bruno8747, soysauce

1993 H22A cb7 <3 miss you
    04 WRX stg 2 sedan
    Current - 02 WRX stg 2 wagon

Header.
    To-Do List for Today
    Be Awesome

Comment

It's nothing I'd attempt on your daily driver if you have no experience rebuilding engines. But yes, that is a good start. I wouldn't even worry about the valves though. Those can come later on when more extensive head work is done. As for the pistons, you'll need a machine shop to check your cylinder walls to make sure they're still true and don't need a hone. If so then it's pretty easy after that. You'll need new main and rod bearings while it's all disassembled.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

what i've always been told is that pistons are used to change compression, not head gaskets. type-s pistions are a good start with a good set of cams and springs to compensate for it. hondata is great but tuning everything is key! tune tune tune!
        1cor10:31
        - 92 LX coupe
        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

This would be my first build, and I might just get type-s pistons and skimp out on the valves right now, until I can afford both cams and valves + springs and retainers. As for the headgasket it does raise compression the thinner it is but its like .1 or something really small, I just figure when you add everything together it'll help.

I think I might change it up to the pistons get everything port matched+ polished leave it at that for a while.

Always wanted to try street tuning for myself with crome, Ive been researching for quite a while. Even before I got the h22, lol. I just need to get my hands on a wideband o2 and a p28, already had a plan on how to burn the chips using a NIC or I was gonna assemble my own burner.
          Originally posted by deevergote
          ..It's not cheap to build a fast CB7, especially NA. However, if you're willing to put the money into the car, it's well worth it in the end. There ARE faster cars out there, but some people, like me, want THIS particular car to be fast!...
          Sold to:tanNn2koo,9tAkord,ThrakBarts,nahmo,andrizzle,or anger
          Bought from:93a-lude, bruno8747, soysauce

1993 H22A cb7 <3 miss you
          04 WRX stg 2 sedan
          Current - 02 WRX stg 2 wagon

Comment

flat faced valves are overated imo, the type-s pistons will be a good start though.
            www.roskoracing.com << Euro-R manifolds/adapters and H22 parts

>>check out my H23vtec build thread...
            http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2030543

Comment

my setup some what has what you are doing..

i have 11:5:1 comp.. and thats pretty much it,, but i did replace all bearings and seals and gaskets and rings,, when i took my rods and pistons out,, you will notice your brite white cylinder walls.... thats because they are alluminum, sp* anyways, most machine shops do not like hoaning these because you could screw them up. most shops use what looks like a wool pad.. but i asked a few around here of what i wanted to do and they were like yeah that would work.. so i took wetsanding paper with the grit of 320 and wet sanded the inside instead of haoning,, this just gave a slightly corser surface to let the rings seal and such,, remember when you put the motor back together you do not need to break it in on full synthetic oil,, it will not seal correctly,
              "Self Renewed"

Comment

Change your valvetrain, get a higher compression head gasket and a custom header. There's a lot of options. $2000 and you will be making well over 200whp.

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

The header you choose will probably have the biggest, or next to biggest impact on your setup.

People still don't get it. The h22 can breath, but it also needs to exhale.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by Rosko
                    flat faced valves are overated imo, the type-s pistons will be a good start though.
                    the hell are fllat faced valves?
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

now im well over 200whp with custom exhaust custom header somewhat and Custom CAI and thats still using the Stock JDM P13. I will tune later but no time. with $2000 as glory mentioned I can prolly make over 220whp if I wanted. but custom header custom CAI and custom exhaust put me @ about $1300. just making the h22 breath better as CRZY stated. IT can breath but make it BREATH WELL and more efficient
                      either kill it or drift it...

2002 Toyota Tundra V8

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool
                        what i've always been told is that pistons are used to change compression, not head gaskets. type-s pistions are a good start with a good set of cams and springs to compensate for it. hondata is great but tuning everything is key! tune tune tune!
                        Head gaskets can change compression depending on the thickeness. Thats why you see some manufacturers with like 2mm, 3mm HG. But usually those lower the compression instead of raise it most of the time.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        I piss off people for fun.
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by KeelesKustome
                          my setup some what has what you are doing..

i have 11:5:1 comp.. and thats pretty much it,, but i did replace all bearings and seals and gaskets and rings,, when i took my rods and pistons out,, you will notice your brite white cylinder walls.... thats because they are alluminum, sp* anyways, most machine shops do not like hoaning these because you could screw them up. most shops use what looks like a wool pad.. but i asked a few around here of what i wanted to do and they were like yeah that would work.. so i took wetsanding paper with the grit of 320 and wet sanded the inside instead of haoning,, this just gave a slightly corser surface to let the rings seal and such,, remember when you put the motor back together you do not need to break it in on full synthetic oil,, it will not seal correctly,

O.......M.......G
                          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by KeelesKustome
                            so i took wetsanding paper with the grit of 320 and wet sanded the inside instead of haoning,, this just gave a slightly corser surface to let the rings seal and such,, remember when you put the motor back together you do not need to break it in on full synthetic oil,, it will not seal correctly,
                            You should have used a fucking hole saw to overbore the cylinder walls, and a belt sander to deck the block while you were at it.

what the shit is wrong with people these days?
                            Last edited by Accord R33; 07-17-2007, 03:19 PM.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
                              You should have used a fucking hole saw to overbore the cylinder walls, and a belt sander to deck the block while you were at it.

what the shit is wrong with people these days?
                              Its custom lol. Using non precision tools to do precision work...Classic haha.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X