Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Instrument cluster not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument cluster not working

This is a 1991 accord LX 5 speed
    Here are the things that do work.
    Battery light and blinkers.
    Everything else is a mystery so far.
    I have tried replacing the instrument cluster with a known working one. I got the same results. I have tested fuses aswell. Basically what i need to do further testing is a pinout diagram for the two plugs that terminate to the bottom of the instrument cluster. If anyone has this i would greatly appreciate a post of that diagram. Ill Test voltage and resistance of wires as I go but im lost without this pinout diagram.
    Last edited by Aaronams25; 04-06-2016, 06:06 AM. Reason: I failed to add necessary info about the car.

What year is your CB? What were the symptoms before you began to swap clusters?

Different years of CBs have different cluster wiring schematics. Make sure that the year of the clusters that you are swapping in match the year of your CB.
    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Yes very sorry I forgot these details. And thank for replying. Its a 1991 5 speed accord lx. The cluster I swapped was from the same year vehicle and 5 speed tranny aswell. The cluster has not worked since i bought the car. The only thing that works on this cluster are the battery light, the blinker indicators, the high beam indicator and the back light for the cluster. many people have said that this cars electrical problems could be a simple case of a bad ground or a ground that simply is not connected. however i haven't the slightest clue of where all the ground wires are located in either the engine bay or under the dash etc. i gues i may need more than just a pinout for the cluster for testing. I believe i must also ask for locations of the vehicles ground wires if anyone would know where to find suck a thing. Thank you any and all who are willing to donate their time into helping another honda lover with a sick cb7.

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=184559

Let us know the results of your testing!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Okay this is perfect. Locations of grounds and everything I need to test the cluster. Sonikaccord thank you again. Ill post info and pictures as i test the wires today.

Comment

Great news

After learning how to read this diagram i started tracing every circuit to all my related problems. I cam to a ground labeled as X which is located in the trunk of the car on the left side of the rear tray. This ground might be a winner for a few problems as it grounds for the vehicle speed sensor and reverse lights which i found out are also not operating. Im not 100% sure of everything this ground is attached to but im looking further into it.

Posting pictures after some editing to fit it all on the page.

Comment

Snap shots

Okay this is as i found it with nothing plugged in or mounted at all. The only thing i have done so far is pull it out from behind that panel where it was tucked away. As seen in the photos we have some burnt wires a disconnected plug and some wires that were cut then taped back together. Im going to repair all wire connections then figure out where the ground wire is and ground her and hope for the best. Ill report back as soon as it is done.

Comment

Well I rewired the power antenna. At the point of finishing it I realized that fixing the wires and plugging it in would do nothing to help the potential faulty ground. So im going to keep looking for it tomorrow. Ill install a stereo and see if the antenna even works. The struggle will continue in the A.M

Goodnight cb7

Comment

Grrrrrrr

Pulled everthing but the carpet and still can find any ground wires. Gonna steam clean this then put it all back together...

Comment

Ok, it looks like you've gotten far...just in a different direction.

Does your clock work?

You stated earlier:
                    "the battery light, the blinker indicators, the high beam indicator and the back light for the cluster."

Are those the only things that work on the cluster? What about your CEL, OIL, Seat Belt and BRAKE lights? Those are all related to connector B, and FUSE #1 in the dash fuse box. Check there and see if that fuse is good.

The ground for your cluster is behind the dash fusebox. Connector A, pin 8 provides the ground for your Tach, Speedometer, Fuel and Temp gauges, Odometer and door ajar lights. I recommend checking continuity to ground on that pin.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Connector A, pin 5 provides power to your gauges. Make sure that pin has 12v.
                    Last edited by sonikaccord; 04-09-2016, 10:05 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

the clock displays time if i press the top button on it. The other light functions you spoke of do not work. I will check that ground wire and the power wire. Need a few minutes to pull out the dash again. Kinda lost my day light here lol. And thank you for the reply.

Comment

Okay i feel like i have failed here. I've spent so much time testing and diagnosing and im not getting far enough to figure out the actual cause of the problem. I have decided that i want to try two things here. Im going to go get another ecu and plop that in. if it fixes stuff thats awesome, if it fixes nothing then its on to plan B. that would be replacing the cluster harness that runs to the center junction connectors under the stereo head unit. Just wish it were a simple fix so I could start putting time and money into making this cb7 look clean and such..

Comment

Whoa. Let's not rush into anything yet. Replacing the harness is extreme and an ecu seems unlikely to solve any cluster issues. You have a mass failure, which is a good thing. It isolates the problem to single, large connection.

What have you figured out so far?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                            Whoa. Let's not rush into anything yet. Replacing the harness is extreme and an ecu seems unlikely to solve any cluster issues. You have a mass failure, which is a good thing. It isolates the problem to single, large connection.

What have you figured out so far?
                            I feel like an ass. Ill post a video of why I am an ass in just a few minutes. I am the worst backyard mechanic ever... Long story short Sonik your first answer to my solution was correct this whole time... And it also fixed some other problems

Comment

In this video i show you what fixed what issues and credit here goes to SonikAccord. Thank you again.
                              Last edited by Aaronams25; 04-20-2016, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X