92 Accord LX with a LT1 350...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 Accord LX with a LT1 350...

First off no trolling please lol. Its been a long time since ive been here but im back lol.

Premise:
    A few years ago I had a 90 accord coupe lx 5sp. The engine in it was toast so I bought a h22 and did the h swap. It was fun, beat on it for a few years and then had a misshift on the freeway that annihilated the clutch and thus the car was decommissioned after that.

2 years later I pick up a 91 civic hatch... I know I know :/ lol.... But thought it would be fun to take my old h and have a h powerd crx. Built it. Had some fun... Then one day somone pulls out in front of me and well. No more rex. It gets totalled and I get squadded off the scene...

Well since July 24 of last year ive been projectless. Till now. I picked up a 92 accord lx auto from my buddy for 350$. Just needs a alt. At the shop where I help out at we aquired a totalled 96 pontiac trans am auto.

The idea :
    92 accord lx with the heart and drivetrain of the 96 trans am

This isnt the most popular idea from research seeing how the most common respince is not worth the work. But seeings that I now have access to a shop with the correct tools to do this level of fabrication. Why not?

Seeings how this has never been done. A lot of this will be figure it out ur self. So with that already said. Here is the car I have choosen for the v8 swap.

Thanks for the read guys

Update: 2/11/15
    Heres the pics of the car

Update 3/22/15

So finally got the donner car weve had sitting in our lot... Not a bad grab for 200$. Thinking about cutting the frnt shock towers and engine cradle and out of the trans am and replacing the accord engine bay stuff with it. With some cutting moving and welding I think it can be done. Still have yet to take measurements. This is just from having the cars side by side and naked eye comparisons. Im also hoping to swap the rear towers as well if the frnt goes well. More to come fellas. Heres a few shots of the doner car

Last edited by tgdrums1990; 06-26-2015, 08:57 AM.
    My System
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165155

In all honesty and to simplify things, how I would do it is, build/acquire a tube chassis roller and cut away the cb7 unibody where needed, guesseting where strength has been compromised and do a body on frame. Anything else is just going to take more time, effort and money then needed and will be complicated.

The next thing I want to undertake in the future is an LS swapped 240, or Rotary powered datsun 210/510..or find a crx, cannibalize a crv and make it K powered AWD.

Comment

Instead of how to prepare the front suspension for the weight, consider instead the rear suspension and how you will be adapting a RWD setup to it.

Anytime someone ever has to ask about the feasibility of something like this, they get laughed out of the room. That's because this lacks any semblance of practicality. The only way you can accomplish something like that is to throw practicality to the wind.

If you're mentally prepared to take on a project like this, pull the engine and transmission out. Then, take dimensions from the LT1 and project those dimensions into the engine bay of the Accord. See what would need to be moved. Go ahead and assume that your air bag wiring and heater are going to have to find their way to the bin because the firewall in that area is going to need to be cut out.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

The correct rates can be determined with a bit of geometry. I don't think the LT1 by itself weighs much more than the H22 engine+trans combination. The center of the weight should be pushed behind the front axle which will help with the weight distribution and transfer characteristics. With that being said, it's best to get a few hard numbers for an actual calculation rather than throwing numbers out there.

Stock CB corner weights?
        Estimated finished LT1 CB corner weights?

There is a lot that I'm missing, but Johnl is the guy to talk to about that.

Good luck, btw!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

1. buy said 96 trans am, a sawzall, and a stack of sheet metal.

2. cut the body off of the trans am

3. cut the bottom out of your cb.

4. merge the two cars with the sheet metal.

5. drive around in it and realize you just ruined 2 cars.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

in all actuality, though, it HAS been done, just with an older chevy motor.

The reason you'll get shit for asking stuff like this, is if you have to ask how to do it, then you very likely can't do it. people that do things like this know what they're doing and just get bored and make something weird. These projects are never practical and are rarely streetable.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
            'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
            Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

That would be one cool car but it's going to take a huge amount of work, time, skill and money to get it right. It's not a simple swap at all and will need a skilled build crew.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

All this for an LT1? And tube chassis is the way to go. Much easier, much cheaper in the long run, less problematic, safer, just all around better.

But seriously. An LT1? I could see an LS. But an LT... no way I would spend that much money and time all to put a $250-$400 Craigslist engine in it.

Props though man. Taking serious interest in a CB in this way is bad ass.

Comment

Thanks for the input all. I know this is gonna be a undertaking. Forutnatly I have a really good fabrocator that has done this stuff before. Not with a accord. But hes mated a explorer and ranger together before ford made one. And we just finished this 62 jeep rebuild that got the heart of 90 Cherokee. And is 64 sunbeam tiger was more rust than car when he first got it.

That being said. I agree that a tube chassy is the way to go. I have half the tubeing to start it.

I took some measurements and it seemes that I can fit it in there with out much mod to the firewall but the weight bias will be far forward. Or plan b. Butcher the firewall and have a better center of balance.

I know im getting some frowns on the lt1. But seeinga how I already have a donner car with engine. Ecu. Rear end. N other misc, lt1 it is. The 96 trans am is already in my possession. It sounds crazy but the goal for this is to br low budget. Seeings how it only cost me 700 for the accord and trans am

Only time will tell with this one. Step one is getting this thing apart Once again thanks for the input. Hopfully ill have some good pics up in a few weeks. The accord is mine. Sitting at my place. Just waiting for him to find the title :/
                  Last edited by tgdrums1990; 01-25-2015, 09:58 PM.
                  My System

Comment

I'm contemplating the same thing, but possibly a LS1 motor.

When I have the capital to blow, I'll attack it. I'm thinking $15k as I'll be doing probably 90-95% of the work. Being a design engineer, I have the tools and know, so I'll share any findings with the forum as I go.

All the best.
                    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                      I'm contemplating the same thing, but possibly a LS1 motor.

When I have the capital to blow, I'll attack it. I'm thinking $15k as I'll be doing probably 90-95% of the work. Being a design engineer, I have the tools and know, so I'll share any findings with the forum as I go.

All the best.
                      Hell yeah man. Keep us posted. As will I once I get dug into this project. Im excited. I kinda missed my cb.
                      My System

Comment

The LT1 would still make a CB7 flat scoot. Without a doubt. It's just in comparison to other engines that are similar it has a few downfalls.

Optispark on the LT1's are pretty crappy and frequently have issues. But you can convert an LT1 over to LTCC like the LS1 using the LS1 stuff. So that's not all that big of a deal.

LT1's are 2 bolt. LS's are 6 bolt.

LT1's have reverse cooling which is actually a good thing.

LT's have a cast iron block as where the LS's are aluminum and about 100lbs lighter.

Still yet, even LS people will admit that an LT gives them their bast races. After a few things on an LT are changed over they are a good runner. Just outdated and old tech.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                          The LT1 would still make a CB7 flat scoot. Without a doubt. It's just in comparison to other engines that are similar it has a few downfalls.

Optispark on the LT1's are pretty crappy and frequently have issues. But you can convert an LT1 over to LTCC like the LS1 using the LS1 stuff. So that's not all that big of a deal.

LT1's are 2 bolt. LS's are 6 bolt.

LT1's have reverse cooling which is actually a good thing.

LT's have a cast iron block as where the LS's are aluminum and about 100lbs lighter.

Still yet, even LS people will admit that an LT gives them their bast races. After a few things on an LT are changed over they are a good runner. Just outdated and old tech.
                          This is very true. Someone knows their mid to late 90s Chevy small block info.

A bone stock LS will get the job more than done and save on weight unless the LT4 option was used. It's has aluminum heads instead of cast iron.

Starting at 260hp and 330ft*lbs of torque, this thing would be an ass sliding tire shredder. On the go, she'd more.
                          Last edited by Straight Success; 01-26-2015, 07:55 AM.
                          The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

An H22 engine and transmission weighs about 485 lbs.with all accessories, manifolds etc.

How much does the lt1 weigh?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                              An H22 engine and transmission weighs about 485 lbs.with all accessories, manifolds etc.

How much does the lt1 weigh?
                              Lt1 weighs around 550 and the trans for the lt1 is like another 200 pounds I thought I read.
                              My System

Comment

Working...
                              X