Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

The G-Man's H23/VTEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have intrigued me to start my own h23/vtec build now... i need to talk to brady and see if that block is still any good...

Comment

Well, you know I have been gathering random information and reading stuff on this for like the past four months. At this point I think I have enough parts to be serious, and I am thinking out loud so I can get some input. As well as talking with someone who has built a similar motor.

You know Nic, you might need a H23 block, or another block. Is yours newer than 98? If so it has 55 mm main journal diameter. That would make using a F22 crank impossible. However, you could use the F23 crank which also happens to have rods that are already floating wrist pin type.
      Gary A.K.A. Carter
      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

I think the compression ratio will be somewhere around 12.2ish with a stock head gasket. With a .038" HG, you'd be around 11.8 CR. I'd use a .038 or thicker gasket to maintain close to stock piston/valve clearance.

Comment

Ok, 12.2 and 11.8 are much more street-able numbers. I knew something was fishy about 13:1.

I think I might run a slightly thicker head gasket. Nothing too big though, I don't want to loose too much compression. I think if I were going to try to run some crazy like high lift JUN cams right off the bat I would run a thicker head gasket, because well, piston slap is not good.
          Gary A.K.A. Carter
          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

The main reason i would want another block would be for the normal intermediate shaft location, Just depends on what i can find... The block i have has no. 1 97 on the front... and the head was has october 96 on it so i am assuming its a 97 motor.... still dont wanna use that block tho.

Comment

man, seems like i'm out of the cb7 loop lately..plans sound good gary. i'll just be happy when i get some time to start working on my h again. literally boxes of parts sitting right next to it, and no time to install them.
              -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
              -1993 Accord EX SOLD
              -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
              -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

what about using the mahle gold series pistons..? you'll have the best of both worlds, lighter and stronger.

as for your intake, a ported blaktrax with their spacer and a hondata intake gasket and a good AEM short ram intake should work verry nicely on this setup.

I to am waiting on Bisi's headers,,, and i recomend you do the same.

I personally wouldn't run more than 11:5:1 compression on the street every day driver.

buy some better rods.. i know people will argue that stock rods are great.. but spend $300-$400 more to protect your investment. I'd recomend an I beam rod, the lighter the better.

also a vtec controller will help your switch transition better, not really showing much gain in hp, but the torque curve becomes alot better.

and cryo treat the rods and pistons for even less resistance to oil.

I have always heard that crank scrappers worked well, with the h22/h23 hybrid..
                and also a balance shaft eliminator kit, to help up the oil prersure to save your bearings at higher rpm's. by doing this you shouldn't have to upgrade the oil pump.
                Also i recomend you keep your stock main pulley, because anything else has a tendancy to be harsh on your bearings.

ok hmmmmmm i like what your doing good sir.
                "Self Renewed"

Comment

You'll deffinately end up around 12.0 ish on the compression. I ran mine at about 12.2 on 92 octane no probs. Now I'm up to 14.0:1 with E85 (105 octane) Also you'll want to have something to tune with, you'll need to pull a little timing out of the maps for that much compression but its deffinately doable. I think stock rods will be fine, balancing is also very important on all rotating components... don't skimp out there. good luck

www.roskoracing.com << Euro-R manifolds/adapters and H22 parts

>>check out my H23vtec build thread...
                  http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2030543

Comment

Good luck with your plans buddy. I know you been itching to do this, keep me posted. I'm excited for those that have finally come around to making their project dreams happening.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
                    X