Intermediate shaft bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermediate shaft bearing

I am getting vibration under acceleration and when going up hills. After doing some research it seems that my intermediate shaft bearing is the culprit. Does anyone know where I can get one of these, aside from a JY? I looked on TAS Auto and AutoZone but neither stock the intermediate shaft. I was hoping to avoid dealer only also, the expense would be too much. Thanks in advance for any help.

1992 CB7 EX Coupe manual

Majestic Honda has an OEM Honda piece for 223.69. A junkyard would be your best bet otherwise.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

WOW!!! That is quite a bit more than I wanted to spend. I will call around to some JY's then. Are the intermediate shafts the same from '90-'93? I know they only came on the manual transmission cars.

Comment

yes, they are the same. I just checked the part numbers on Majestic for different years and they are identical.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry

Comment

I appreciate the help. I even looked on Ebay and found nothing.

Comment

5spd 4cyl CD5 accords and F22 92-96 preludes use the same intermediate shaft, too. You can expand your search with that. I found at least one CD5 int. shaft on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by dcsally97 View Post
              I am getting vibration under acceleration and when going up hills. After doing some research it seems that my intermediate shaft bearing is the culprit. Does anyone know where I can get one of these, aside from a JY? I looked on TAS Auto and AutoZone but neither stock the intermediate shaft. I was hoping to avoid dealer only also, the expense would be too much. Thanks in advance for any help.

1992 CB7 EX Coupe manual
              What makes you think its the bearing?
              IMO it will be one of the axle joints. Put rebuilt axles in and it should fix it.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

The sound isn't all the time only under load. It also is coming from right in front of my feet. I can feel it through the floor.

Comment

Crawl under your car and grab the axles to feel for play.... Also grab the intermediate shaft too to see if there is play.

Also check out: http://www.car-part.com
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                    Majestic Honda has an OEM Honda piece for 223.69. A junkyard would be your best bet otherwise.
                    Whoah Whoah. The bearing itself is 55 dollars. I replaced it last year. The whole assembly is that price you quoted. I did not buy the seals because I had a few whole shafts to pull good ones from. But I think the inner and outer seal can be had for like 25 total or less. The rest of it does not need replaced unless you wrecked your car or something catastrophic like that.All that being said unless your vibration could be compared to a cell phone on vibrate the intermediate shaft bearing is not your problem. Even then it's probably not the problem.
                    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

I would've thought it was a wheel bearing, but it isn't consistent enough for it to be a wheel bearing. Usually they will growl continuous at a certain speed. I will have to look into it on Monday (my next day off).

Comment

I picked one of these up for $7.50 on ebay not too long ago still in the oem packaging.

I would bet this is an axle though. I had a bad axle and replaced half the front end, bushings everything. I got some Drive shaft shop axles and no more vibration.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
                          Whoah Whoah. The bearing itself is 55 dollars. I replaced it last year. The whole assembly is that price you quoted.
                          Those are press-on bearing assemblies, and from personal experience of working in the R&D dept of an axle company, it is almost impossible to pull those apart without completely damaging the carrier bearing bracket (unless you have a big press and know how to set it up right).

Comment

No, not hard at all compared to bushings wheel bearings ect. You remove the seals with a screw driver and pop the cirlcip followed by a couple taps and done. It's a pretty small bearing depth wise. Does not affect drivability much if at all. It only carries the weight of the axle.

And Steve, how many miles you put on those new axles so far? Still no shakes at all?
                            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Working...
                            X