cfmurray : 1990 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Starting problems

Maybe someone else has some input for me.

My Problem with the car is that it will not start.

1) I just installed this F22A engine and tranny w/50,000 miles on it in August 2014
    2) New Parts I installed with the engine as listed; Distributor cap, Spark plugs, Spark plug wires.

So last week I got gas and the next day,Tuesday my car wouldn't start, and I thought cause it was hot. So I let it cool down from 6-930pm. (very cool) It would not fire up, so I tapped the distributor, and it started but chugging and misfiring all the way home. The check engine light was on, but now it is off. Now my car will not start at all.

Things I have checked, and is ok, working;
    1) Fuses
    2) Ground Wires
    3) Fuel pump (Checked for prime, and getting fuel to my injectors)
    4) Fuel filter (Changed to new one)
    5) Distributor cap (Changed to new one)
    6) Syphoned gas, and put new gas in
    7) Main Relay (Changed new one)
    8) Timing belt
    9) Spark plug sparks (Deep Blue)
    10) Also I sprayed carb cleaner in my throttle body, and still no start.

Things I have NOT checked yet;
    1) Fuel Pressure
    2) Voltage to my Injectors

Any insight, ideas, or suggestions would be great. This is my daily driver, and it has been like this for 2 weeks.
    Last edited by cfmurray; 04-17-2014, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Two things I can think of right now to check is the main relay and the distributor.
      Do you have spark?

Comment

Pull the code for the Check Engine Light.

Check valve timing.
        Originally posted by deevergote
        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
          Pull the code for the Check Engine Light.

Check valve timing.
          Shoot my fault so much I have checked I forgot those two things. Thanks for the input

I tried doing that check engine light trick, but no luck for me. I couldn't get a blink.

Also had a nice scanner with all kinds of adapters, but the Hon1 Adapter didn't fit my plug.
          Last edited by cfmurray; 04-17-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

My cb had a similar issue when I changed distributors, turned out the new dizzy was bad. Make sure the injectors are clean and spraying fuel as originally designed.

To check codes just do the paperclip method. Our cars are too old to be hooked up to a computer of I remember correctly. Make sure you stick the ends of the paperclip into the big holes of the connector then turn the key to accessory. If the ecu stored a code it should show.

If the CEL doesn't flash or stay solid then the ECU is shot which could explain your cars symptoms

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
              My cb had a similar issue when I changed distributors, turned out the new dizzy was bad. Make sure the injectors are clean and spraying fuel as originally designed.

To check codes just do the paperclip method. Our cars are too old to be hooked up to a computer of I remember correctly. Make sure you stick the ends of the paperclip into the big holes of the connector then turn the key to accessory. If the ecu stored a code it should show.

If the CEL doesn't flash or stay solid then the ECU is shot which could explain your cars symptoms
              That was the next thing I was going to check was the injectors if I am getting power to them, and switch out the ECU.

I tried the paper clip trick, but I don't have the two holes you speak of. I just have that one blue plug with the two wires, and inside the plug are three pins. ( I would post a pic, but my photobucket login isn't working. Thanks
              Last edited by cfmurray; 04-17-2014, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Ok so update for the weekend.

I ended up finding my ECU to have the red light blink. So I got code 14 which is Idle Control Valve. I had a spare one that I know works, yet after install no start. So I ended up dropping the fuel tank, took out the fuel pump, and tested. The fuel pump works. Now I am stumped. Checked for power to my fuel pump plug in and I am not getting power to that.

I checked my grounds, fuses, relay (heard click and opened it to check for cracks). Could my ECU be bad, even thought it gave me a code, and is blinking? I do not want to buy a new ECU if it is not the problem.

I would be very grateful if I could get any insight, because I need my car back. I miss her!! lol

Comment

Check for spark, remove spark plug #1 and plug it back to the wire plug. Have the tip touch ground and have someone try to start it. If you see spark then you know the distributor is working.

MRThttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84102 93se h22/t2t4

Comment

You will probably need a new distributer. Hit up local buddy and see if they have an extra one. I have one but I don't know how you would get it?
                    2013 Honda Fit Sport Alabaster Silver Metallic GE8
                    2013 Accord Sport Modern Steel Metallic CR2

CB9 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=hostile
                    CR2 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=197787
                    GE8 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199289

Comment

Originally posted by laz93se View Post
                      Check for spark, remove spark plug #1 and plug it back to the wire plug. Have the tip touch ground and have someone try to start it. If you see spark then you know the distributor is working.
                      I have already checked my spark, on every spark plug. I get a deep blue spark.

Originally posted by Hostile View Post
                      You will probably need a new distributer. Hit up local buddy and see if they have an extra one. I have one but I don't know how you would get it?
                      I have checked my spark plugs, and I am getting deep blue spark. My distributor can still be bad? I am not getting gas to my injectors, and no power to my fuel pump. I thought the distributor only effects my timing, and spark to each cylinder? My car wont start because no gas is getting delivered to my park plugs?

Comment

Fixed my car!

After all the trouble shooting, and all the frustration I finally figured out the issue. It ended up being my Ignition Switch. I couldn't believe it. So for all that are going through an issue like this, yes it is most likely your relay, grounds, or fuses, but don't over look your ignition switch.

Comment

This is the one thing that truly pisses me off about the cb. The ecu codes are not all that accurate when it comes to problems like this. Like you stated before. You checked codes, swapped out the part and still no start. When my cb did this it gave me the blues. I threw so much money at it following the ecu codes and it turned out to be 2 harnesses not connected properly including a bad dizzy lol.

Comment

Time to Update

My car is finally showing its age and looks very bad. I want to start fixing it up while still daily driving it. My car runs great with no big issues.

My question to all the experts would be where would you start? Bushings, suspensions, motor build, body and paint, is there a certain order you would go? I don't want to do body work and paint then replace all the rubber garmets and seals. So there is certain orders that you can or should take.

Any suggestions or tips and tricks from your builds would be fantastic. I do not want to buy a new car, I want to build my old 1990 accord to be new again.

Comment

Originally posted by cfmurray View Post
                              My car is finally showing its age and looks very bad. I want to start fixing it up while still daily driving it. My car runs great with no big issues.

My question to all the experts would be where would you start? Bushings, suspensions, motor build, body and paint, is there a certain order you would go? I don't want to do body work and paint then replace all the rubber garmets and seals. So there is certain orders that you can or should take.

Any suggestions or tips and tricks from your builds would be fantastic. I do not want to buy a new car, I want to build my old 1990 accord to be new again.
                              I always start with suspension and brakes. Need to be able to stop or turn. Then motor then then body
                              NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
                              DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Has it really been two years? (welcome back)

Honestly you'll have to replace bushings and parts that are a safety hazard, you know the ones that keep you stranded on the highway. Luckily this is an accord. But having and keeping the body in shape on these cars is a must. The cancer will spread if there is any. Plus once you get a paint job you'll want new other stuff because the car looks awesome!! Then you just keep going
                                Last edited by Raf99; 04-01-2016, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X