It's Official: Honda Kills Crosstour As New SUVs Take Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Official: Honda Kills Crosstour As New SUVs Take Over

We heard the rumors about Honda planning to put an end to the Crosstour, but now it's official. The Japanese brand announced on Wednesday it will cease production of the Accord-based model at its East Liberty Plant in Ohio after the 2015 model year.

What's ironic about Honda's latest defeat is that, when its Acura brand tried to replicate the BMW X6's success it failed, but when BMW lifted a page from Honda's Crosstour book with the 3-Series GT, it did fine…

Apparently, Honda has decided to abandon odd niches and focus on what it does best; building popular mainstream cars like SUVs and regular crossovers. In addition to the recent introduction of the refreshed CR-V, over the next year, Honda will strengthen its lineup with the all-new 2016 HR-V, a new 2016 Pilot, and the next generation Ridgeline truck.

"The Crosstour, introduced in 2010, served a positive role in helping the Honda brand target crossover buyers," said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co. in a statement.

"However, the crossover segment has evolved and we believe the all-new 2016 Honda HR-V launching later this spring will create new value for crossover shoppers and play a more significant role as a gateway model for the Honda brand to drive light truck sales growth. This move will allow the East Liberty Plant to focus on meeting demand for the CR-V and a refreshed 2016 Acura RDX and, as announced last month, expand light truck production in early 2017 with the Acura MDX," he added.

As part of this reshuffling, and in order to boost SUV and truck production capacity in the States, Honda said it will also move production of the Accord Hybrid from the Marysville Auto Plant in Ohio to the Sayama Plant in Japan.

"The transfer of the Accord Hybrid from the Marysville Auto Plant (MAP) to Honda's Sayama Plant in Japan, will better optimize our global production capabilities, enabling MAP to focus on its significant role in producing popular models including the Honda Accord Sedan and Coupe and the Acura TLX and ILX performance sedans. ILX production began at MAP in February 2015," said Mendel.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/04/its...sstour-as.html
    FRIENDS
    DONT LET
    FRIENDS
    ROLL ON
    ROTA'S

Don’t Let The Door Hit You In The Ass: Adios, Honda Crosstour

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...onda-crosstour
    We heard the rumors about Honda planning to put an end to the Crosstour, but now it's official. The Japanese brand announced on Wednesday it will cease production of the Accord-based model at its East Liberty Plant in Ohio after the 2015 model year.

What's ironic about Honda's latest defeat is that, when its Acura brand tried to replicate the BMW X6's success it failed, but when BMW lifted a page from Honda's Crosstour book with the 3-Series GT, it did fine…

Apparently, Honda has decided to abandon odd niches and focus on what it does best; building popular mainstream cars like SUVs and regular crossovers. In addition to the recent introduction of the refreshed CR-V, over the next year, Honda will strengthen its lineup with the all-new 2016 HR-V, a new 2016 Pilot, and the next generation Ridgeline truck.

"The Crosstour, introduced in 2010, served a positive role in helping the Honda brand target crossover buyers," said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co. in a statement.

"However, the crossover segment has evolved and we believe the all-new 2016 Honda HR-V launching later this spring will create new value for crossover shoppers and play a more significant role as a gateway model for the Honda brand to drive light truck sales growth. This move will allow the East Liberty Plant to focus on meeting demand for the CR-V and a refreshed 2016 Acura RDX and, as announced last month, expand light truck production in early 2017 with the Acura MDX," he added.

As part of this reshuffling, and in order to boost SUV and truck production capacity in the States, Honda said it will also move production of the Accord Hybrid from the Marysville Auto Plant in Ohio to the Sayama Plant in Japan.

"The transfer of the Accord Hybrid from the Marysville Auto Plant (MAP) to Honda's Sayama Plant in Japan, will better optimize our global production capabilities, enabling MAP to focus on its significant role in producing popular models including the Honda Accord Sedan and Coupe and the Acura TLX and ILX performance sedans. ILX production began at MAP in February 2015," said Mendel.

FRIENDS
    DONT LET
    FRIENDS
    ROLL ON
    ROTA'S

Comment

I'm actually looking into buying one..... needing more space and a new work car, figured the crosstour lowered with rims would do perfect for a family/work car.
      93 Honda Accord Lx
      Check it out A.O.M. 11/2014

Comment

It won't be missed by me.

Comment

Me neither. The previous owner of my CG5 bought one and he regrets it. He reported many trips to the dealership for this problem or that. He misses his CG5 (and I love it!).
          *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
          ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
          ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
          "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
          The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
          Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Maybe?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post

Maybe?
              Never was a fan of these but I've never seen one lowered until now. Have a new respect for them after seeing that picture. I'd drive one of those over a Ridgeline any day.

RIP my last two CB7s.
              New rides:
              '82 Volvo 245 drift project
              '87 Volvo 244 daily
              Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

That thing is groce. Its ass end is wonky imho. Reminds me of my sig, pear shaped as hell.

Comment

Good. Kill the Bmw 3 and 5 GT's next!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFunk View Post
                    Never was a fan of these but I've never seen one lowered until now. Have a new respect for them after seeing that picture. I'd drive one of those over a Ridgeline any day.
                    Yeah that picture just made the crosstour look nice. I always thought they were ugly looking.
                    For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

Good. Ugly dam thing designed by someone who owned an Oldsmobile his whole life. (<- joke, not fact)

Comment

I've liked the crosstour since the first time I saw it. Seeing it in person back in 2009 and I thought it was polarizing and stunning. I've always liked it and had a soft spot for it. It's lifted look makes me think "off roader" but lowered its the accord wagon everyone was asking for.

Comment

I think this is the Accord wagon people were looking for.

Lowered

Comment

As a pain who owns a sedan, a wagon, and a truck... This vehicle was never on my shopping list anyways. I've got a truck for hauling, and my cb9 likely has almost as much interior room and gets similar mpg, there aren't many selling points for me anyways.

Goof riddance I suppose, more development finding for cars I might actually buy.

Comment

Working...
                            X