Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Solving H22A Stumbling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solving H22A Stumbling

Greetings, I have recently done a JDM H22A swap into my cb9. I also happen to be one of the lucky ones to have the mysterious stumble on acceleration problem. I followed the writeup on a website called accordinglydone, and then doing alot of research on alldata and the internet to this problem. It will stumble on acceleration most noticeably for me at around 2300-3000 rpm. The motor revs and runs fine otherwise. The problem also only happens after the engine is warm. It feels to me like a fuel or an ignition issue, but have found a few other suggestions that make sense to me to this problem; including the tps, or main relay. I know others have had this same issue, or similar issue, and was wondering if anyone has found the problem? A few other things that might cause this are the fuel injectors or the spark plug wires, and will try those first. I am very determined to find this mysterious bug on jdm h22s and will stop at nothing. Any help would be much appreciated.

when my H was stumbling, it was related to the connections on the ignitor unit inside the distributor. The wires weren't crimped hard enough, or there was some oxidation from it probably sitting for a long period of time on the leads.

What I did to solve it was put dielectric grease on all the contact points for a better connection.

But when I FIRST got my engine swapped in, I had 3 prelude injectors and 1 accord injector in the fuel rail. There was a noticeable lurch when I first started the car. So just make sure, especially if you got your engine used like I did from some random guy.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

A faulty o2 sensor will not always throw a CEL, and can cause stumbling issues during that rpm range. A quick check would be to unplug the o2 sensor, and see if the problem goes away. Another thing would be to check for proper egr functionality.
      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

I got my motor and ECU shipped from a company called Total JDM or Toronto JDM and I know how the weather can get up there. Theres also no telling how long it sat inside or out as I only got it a year ago. Those leads on the ignitor unit may very well be the issue and I'll check it out tomorrow. The injectors were also a culprit for me as Ive read that the h22a motor has two different cc impedence injectors depending on the year. I will check the part numbers on the injectors. I think they are supposed to be 345 cc injectors. Ill keep posting what I find. Thanks.

Comment

I have replaced 02 and have a blockoff on my egr. I will try unplugging it though, and recheck. Thanks.

Comment

Ah, didn't know you were running an chipped ecu, or the egr was blocked off, which means you are most likely are running of basemaps already. Improper impedience injectors might be the issue if your using usdm injectors from what i've read elsewhere.

Comment

I had the motor and ECU ssshipped from them, not chipped. I am running a p13 stock ecu. I did a check of the wires and terminals going to the ignitor unit, and found that they were clean. They were also tight and I put dielectric grease on all of them. I also pulled my spark plugs and wires and made sure they were clean and tight. I also checked the fuel injectors which were 345cc injectors. Then I went to chevron and got a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner and then filled the tank. I also tried unplugging the 02 sensor but no difference. Anyways, after all this, on the way home it did stumble again slightly(before gas up). After the gas I have felt no stumbling yet, only time will tell. Any more ideas?

I also posted some pics of my ride in the gallery, check it out!

Comment

wait wait, im having this exact problem now. I could tell my motor sat for a LONG time as the grease points in the trans werent greased at all...It stumbles and chokes between 2-3 like yours. Running the stock p13. I didnt check my o2 sensor, my dist is new and in good shape i usedd. I was about to replace my main relay and everything, but your telling me i should check my injectors???
                91 LX Coupe H22 swap, n/a build in progress. "007 CB7"
                I'll smoke your v8 like I smoke my ganja

Comment

sorry, techron fuel system cleaner? i just did the filter, about to do the rlay before i went ahead and did the pump. i know its gota be something stupid fuck the idle hunting this is whats pissin me off the most
                  91 LX Coupe H22 swap, n/a build in progress. "007 CB7"
                  I'll smoke your v8 like I smoke my ganja

Comment

Sorry, that fuel system cleaner did not fix my problem. It helped for a few days, but now problem is back. Im starting to think o2 sensor or clogged EGR ports. Any other suggestions? I have had this problem for over a year!@! I am also throwing a code 12, which is EGR function code. So I will try cleaning the ports first, as I have already replaced my 02.
                    Last edited by WagonLX; 04-21-2010, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I thought about that too, and yes, I am running the internal coil dizzy. My question now is, will the old F22 external coil & dizzy work on the H22?

Comment

I just opened the cap off the TD-52U dizzy and I see what you mean, only the internal coil is missing from where the TD-60U one has it. Now to figure out the wiring. Im in a position to do this right now, soooo.....

Comment

If you have a code 12, cleaning the ports will not clear the code. Make sure the vacuum lines are properly hooked up, along with the electrical connections, if not swap the egr valve out for another one say from the junkyard. Then remember to reset the ecu by pulling the radio/backup fuse and/or disconnecting the battery.

It very well could be an o2 sensor problem if the car is stumbling. If you want to test whether its the o2 sensor causing it, simply unplug the o2 sensor, your ecu will throw a code and the car will start running of the basemap, then try driving around with the o2 sensor unplugged and see if the stumbling problem goes away. If it goes away then replace your o2 sensor to a Denso or NGK/NTK.

Comment

I just swapped internals from the different dizzys and now the car will not start. I am getting spark from the external coil and from the plug wires, but no motor action. Is there something I missed? Are these actually interchangeable with computers? in other words, did the jdm preludes come with external coil? stock p13 ecu
                            Last edited by WagonLX; 04-21-2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

now I have swapped the internals back and the car runs. I will try driving around for a few days with the 02 unplugged. I really dont like the light though, LOL. Then I will determine if I need EGR valve or not. I thought about it and remember unplugging the vacuum going to the EGR, thinking I had a vacuum leak at diaphragm, and I never cleared the codes. Thanx for the feedback, every little bit gets me one step closer to really enjoying this car.

Comment

Working...
                              X