• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the upper cover if ur interested
    <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

I have it, I just need to cut out the little half-circles and probably plastic weld them flush with the rest of the cover, just so they don't stick inward and hit the cam gear bolts.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Finally! Been waiting for these parts before posting my progress here. I'll have the engine assembly completed this weekend short of small things like vacuum hoses. Interestingly, the tensioner pulley with walk blocker installed was cheaper from KS Tuned than getting the pulley by itself from Majestic. 3D-printed cam gear holder is a new freebee they throw in when you buy their more expensive parts; nice detail in design for such a simple piece.

Still need to fund:
        - Junkyard transmission
        - Fluids
        - ECU w/Hondata and basemap to confirm engine runs as it should at home
        - ST rear sway bar so the exhaust can be routed to allow for it.
        - Get the full exhaust system welded
        - Dyno tune
        - Register the car

Power folding mirrors are also installed, but still need to be paint-matched. The funny part is I'll probably never use them for fear of the motors dying and not being able to replace them. DIY for the external relay system coming soon.

Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-15-2020, 12:36 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I use my power folding mirrors every time I drive the car Say, you ever figure out the belt walk issue?

Comment

I've got a half shaft if you want it.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              Say, you ever figure out the belt walk issue?
              I'm pretty sure it was the H23 tensioner system's over-tightening of the belt that was doing it. We'll see in a few days when I can get out to the engine and put the H22 parts on. Aside from the KS Tuned parts, I got everything else new from Honda. *ED. - oh, and KS Tuned says that the metal bushing that the manual tensioner pulley pivots on (#24 here) wears out over time and allows the pulley to sag, which is a common contributor to belt walk.

Fleetw00d, I PM'd you, thanks!
              Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-04-2020, 03:06 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Catching up here. The whole timing issue has been a big setback, time wise. It almost got delayed another week because I thought I lost that spoon-shaped bracket and its spring for the balance shaft pulley tension. Got lucky, though.

Finally got around to cutting up the PLM header so it doesn't hang so low. Didn't want to get too close to the pan, though; I'm not sure how much that heat will affect the oil. The little loops for the spring bolts have since been cut and shaved smooth as well in preparation for the header to be welded up.

Here I'm unpacking the boxes of parts I've had in storage, seeing what I have and what I still need. Power steering line into the top of the pump is a biggie...

Back to the undoing of the H23 manual tensioner. Aside from the KS Tuned parts, I ordered everything from Honda. Even small parts I already had, I got them new just because I wanted them mint! The connector on a coolant temp sensor had also broken in storage, so it was replaced.

And of course, being a company that sells balance shaft deletes, KS Tuned designed their walk blocker without catering to those of us who want to keep ours, so I had to make up a spacer. Luckily I had a washer of the right thickness and a solid width laying around, which I enlarged the center hole to fit snug over the pulley's locating bolt.

I also finally got around to taking care of the K-Tuned oil sensor adapter, sandwiching a washer between the adapter and the factory receiver so the K-Tuned oil ring had something to seat against:

I may have shaved this washer a bit too small, but it looks like it'll do the job (service manual was back out because I took the cams back out to double-check that everything in the head was torqued to spec):

Sensor adapter mounted under the S2000 oil filter. Anyone know what that 10mm bolt is for? It's been so long since I took this apart.

As I mentioned earlier, the adjustment bolts on the Skunk2 cam gears was rubbing on these indentations in the upper timing cover. I cut them out hoping I could simply move them further out and plastic weld them back in place to try and make it look like the cover was never modified to begin with, but it still wasn't enough. I had to shave more plastic away from the gears, so until I figure something out to seal away the timing area, the gears are going to be slightly exposed...

Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-14-2020, 02:58 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                  [B][I][COLOR=LightBlue]

-

Unfortunately, the seller had already warmed the car up before I got there, so I couldn’t see or hear the effects of a cold start before buying, but he was confident it would make the drive back north just fine, which it did. Although I will say that with as much as I’ve gotten used to my base auto RSX, I had a hard time believing a car could be even more gutless. Here’s a cold start, with some light revs, the next day. It just shat all over the brand new concrete. Of course, the engine it came with hardly matters, considering what's replacing it.

Soo what causes that on the garage floor?

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post

Soo what causes that on the garage floor?
                    Beats me. It seems to just be the typical water and carbon build up that you find in an exhaust system, but obviously a lot of it. I try doing a search for "exhaust spitting soot" and see pictures of people with the exact same problem, but the answers are all over the place. So many replies say it's normal, when it's definitely not normal. I've never seen a car do that before. I don't plan on running this engine through an emissions test, though, and I'll probably be keeping it for a future build in case I ever get another Honda (I would love an EF/CRX or EG one day), so it'll be torn down to check for obvious problems.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

My car shoots out soot and water as well. But not to that extent. My lower drawer on my tool box is black because of it. Was that pic taken after revving it up some? But I imagine it’s simply the moisture from the cooling of the air in the exhaust system and the water loosening up the soot. So when you start the car, the exhaust gases push all that out. Once the exhaust warms up, you shouldn’t see it anymore.

but I’m sure you’ve seen normal cars go around driving especially in the morning and you see some water come out of their exhaust pipe. Even when it hasn’t rained in a while.
                      ~Nick~
                      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Yeah, that particular mark was the result of revving. I know water coming out of the exhaust is a sign of clean burning or the cat working as it should, I've just never seen it come out black like that. My RSX will spit out water, but never any carbon, and the mileage is only about 20k less than the Accord's.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Well that may be it then. Do you have a cat on your wagon or a high flow resonator? I have high flow, so I would believe that since there isn’t any material catching the carbon from the exhaust, this would be the mixture of water and soot.
                          ~Nick~
                          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

It's got a cat, but who knows how old the thing is and what it's internal condition is like. Does your state not have emissions? I'll be running a cat even when the H22 is in.

The JDM Si-T turn signals I ordered from Japan three days ago are already here. Still waiting for the Speedfactory transmission detent springs I ordered the same day from Washington state, lol.
                            Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-16-2020, 06:29 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Yep Florida requires no emissions. I don’t think my car would pass if it did, even if I threw a cat in. But then again I honestly don’t know since I never got it tested before.

I always kept my eyes on those SIR-T signals but I couldn’t get myself to pay the price they were asking. Glad to see they are going into hands that will take great car of them.
                              ~Nick~

Comment

Both look good in their own way; definitely keeping the amber signals around. Front end still needs some alignment tweaking...

I also picked up new axles and a starter for the manual conversion the other day, and the Speedfactory detent springs came in. That just leaves the transmission, and probably a cheap standard clutch kit for testing purposes, but I'm broke. Until next month...
                                Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-17-2020, 07:54 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                                X