New Trick I Used For O2 Sensor Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Trick I Used For O2 Sensor Replacement

Today, I had the luxury of replacing the what looked like a 17-year-old oxygen sensor which seemed to be rust welded to the bung - uhhhhhh.

Well, after hitting it with some penetrating juice (all I had was WD-40 in my personal garage), I let it sit for five minutes, and then I wiped the residual off with a shop towel. Of course, the thing didn't budge upon initial attempt to remove it. Before I became fully frustrated ending up with rounded edges on the old sensor, I decided to think like an engineer.

The problem, I didn't want any rounded off edges on the O2.

My solution, I took a 0.5" x 3.0" piece of 80 grit sand paper, wrapped the coarse portion around the hex nut portion of the O2 sensor, and then put a 7/8 wrench over the sand paper. 15 seconds later, after some applied muscle to the wrench, .

I know. I know. Yes, they make O2 sensor tools, but this worked and was a lot cheaper.

Peace.
    Last edited by Straight Success; 09-30-2020, 07:26 AM.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Necessity is the mother of invention. For as many cars as I've owned/serviced, I bought a socket.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'll pick one up as an addition to the tool box and the collection.

I guess I was ultimately posting this for someone in a pinch.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

you could also use a medium sized 8" vise grip and hit it with a hammer. That usually never fails when I have to resort to that tool, as long as you get it clamped down tight enough onto the nut or whatever it is you're removing.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
          you could also use a medium sized 8" vise grip and hit it with a hammer. That usually never fails when I have to resort to that tool, as long as you get it clamped down tight enough onto the nut or whatever it is you're removing.
          #noted. Thanks, K.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I know I'm a little late but, this is why I have a small set of acetylene torches. Living in Northern Ohio, all these vehicles have bolts that resemble your O2 sensor.

Comment

Working...
            X