Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Recommended Battery Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended Battery Size

What is the minimum battery cca? I live in Indiana and right now it has been pretty cold. I currently have a 500cca battery. It was in my car when I got it bit just isn't enough. The temperature has been as low as -15 without wind chill. Actually I could use advise on what cca battery to get without having to deal with the auto parts store "experts".

If you have a Blain's Farm and Fleet near you, they have an awesome battery deal. Basically, you're looking for the best "free replacement" warranty period you can get for the cheapest money. I got a 600CCA platinum battery from them for $86, and It's started perfectly fine in the -20 mornings we've had here in northern Illinois. on top of that, a 36-month free replacement, and 72 month prorated warranty.

As for brands, it seems like they are more or less manufactured by the same handful of suppliers, and it's hit or miss. I knew a guy who had an interstate battery in his jeep for sixteen years, but I've also seen them fail still in warranty.

I recommend 600, just make sure the footprint will fit in the battery tray and if it's a tall battery, get side terminals. good luck.

Comment

I bought online and picked up in the store, including online discounts, I was able to get a D34/78 Yellowtop for about 165$ with no core exchange at Advanced auto a couple years ago. 750 CCA 120 min reserve (has saved my ass!) Fires up everytime. Didnt start my car for a week a couple weeks ago when it was like -15F or colder for daytime highs..fired right up when I did. Probably the best money on a battery Ive gotten. And I did the dual groups so I can hook my audio up to the side terminals and keep the car hooked up to the top posts.
      Optima Batteries 9014-045

Comment

I thought 500cca was a little light. If I remember correctly my old civics only needed a 525cca. I will find me at least a 600cca battery. Thanks guys.

Comment

i got an 800 cca in my Accord and have been starting fine at 0`F
          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
            I bought online and picked up in the store, including online discounts, I was able to get a D34/78 Yellowtop for about 165$ with no core exchange at Advanced auto a couple years ago. 750 CCA 120 min reserve (has saved my ass!) Fires up everytime. Didnt start my car for a week a couple weeks ago when it was like -15F or colder for daytime highs..fired right up when I did. Probably the best money on a battery Ive gotten. And I did the dual groups so I can hook my audio up to the side terminals and keep the car hooked up to the top posts.
            Optima Batteries 9014-045
            +1 for optima..I have a yellow top in my CB and a red top in my truck.
            My Yellow is over 5-6 years old and still running strong, even with a 1100 watt stereo beating it up every time I drive.

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

I have recently become a fan of honda brand batties. They are 100 month warranty and have proven to me to be beasty regarding holding charge and cca's. I am sure they are just some other brand with a sticker on it but I don't know what brand. Last winter my alternator died and in the freezing cold with the lights and heat on I made it to and from work that's 60 miles. Then the next day to my g/f dad's house where I put the new alternator in. That parts store 60 dollar alt lasted a week and again I accomplished the same feat. So when my g/f's battery died early last year I needed not to know what cca to look for I just went to the honda dealer and said I need a battery. They are about $125 I believe. I live here in Ohio which has to be as tough as anywhere on electrical systems. My g/f drives a 96 f22x accord that floods sometimes if it doesn't start right away so many, many cranks later the honda battery still pumps enough cca's to start it when it's 0 degrees at 6 am.She just needs new plugs and wires but it's been near single digit weather and dumping snow all winter. Most of the honda owners I know also stand by honda batteries. I know of probly ten in action with only one failure after 7 years of service. Honda credited 30 dollars toward the next battery.
              ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss View Post
                What is the minimum battery cca? I live in Indiana and right now it has been pretty cold. I currently have a 500cca battery. It was in my car when I got it bit just isn't enough. The temperature has been as low as -15 without wind chill. Actually I could use advise on what cca battery to get without having to deal with the auto parts store "experts".
                Have your battery tested for voltage. if its within spec then maybe just get a forty dollar battery booster to help add extra cranking amps for starting those times it gets ass-cold. This is a cheapest option in terms of up front costs plus they are very handy to have anyways. Presumably your battery starts the car fine when it's say above
                Zero F.

If your batt is borderline on its general health replace it though.
                Last edited by batever; 01-30-2014, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss View Post
                  Have your battery tested for voltage. if its within spec then maybe just get a forty dollar battery booster to help add extra cranking amps for starting those times it gets ass-cold. This is a cheapet option in terms of up front costs plus they are very handy to have anyways.

Comment

If I were you, I would go with Optima Batteries, as many others on this thread have been saying. I currently have an Optima Red Top 34/78 installed with 800 cca. Red tops have more ccas, and are more focused on starting under any conditions. The yellow tops are more useful for enhanced car electronics like major audio system upgrades. You really have nothing to worry about in the future with one of these. Your car will reliably start every time.
                    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Working...
                    X