Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cleaning Engine Bay-HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Engine Bay-HELP

Hi guys, just got my cb for my 16th, had it for about a month or so. So 2 days ago i was bored after school so i decided to wash the engine bay as i had extra time on my hands. As usual i put a bag around the distributor and i close up my air intake hose as well. So i assumed washing the car spraying everything (with a normal hose not even with a nozzle just using my finger) So after i tok a towel and dried some water of and decided to start the engine. But as i was about to i remember that my bag was on the air hose, so i took it partially of. I started the car got out, and was taking the bag out, and suddenly it got sucked in! luckily i was able to grab it, and i was hoping that like nothing happened to it (hydrolock) but the engine seemed fine. i decided to heat the engine in order to dry it so i reved to about 2k and then let go. After this suddenly the car started recing itself from 1k to 2k and back over and over. i was totally freaking out, so i reved up to 3k held it and let go and it did it again. At this point i wished i that i never even thought of the idea. So i decided to park it and leave it for my dad to see. So as i put it in gear, it started vibrating ALOT, even the steering wheel, now that scared me. so i let it be that night and today i wheeled it out into the sun and left the hood open hoping itll dry everything. So yeh i was just wondering whether u guys could help me lol ne suggestions or any thing.
    btw i washed everything so i think the fuse box got wet as well, cas i only covered the distributor and air hose. so yeh thanks guys, sorry bout the long post
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

That has nothing to do with the car being wet. Sounds like your idle maybe set too high/vacuume leak.
    wat?

Comment

nice cb
      but she ran PERFECT like before
      but after washing it its now totally messed up, my dad said i must have wet the distributor
      what else can it be?
      or what can i do now?
      ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Well the shuddering is probably bad dizzy seal and or wires.
        wat?

Comment

so i should just leave it out eh? its pretty sunny here (apart from the retarted snow that we had on monday) so yeh hope she works fine
          ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

dam i just started it, and it was fine sitting at 2k revs. then after it the engine heated up it started doing it again from 1.5 to 2, then i reved it a bit til 3k and it stayed there D: so i turned it of and resumed the drying process
            ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

There is a thread with a DIY on how to fix an idle like that.
              It has a link to Honda-Tech. Perform that and it'll right itself.

But if you covered the dizzy well then it shouldn't have gotten wet. so i wouldn't worry about it so much. I get the same way when something is wrong with mine. Take a deep breath and think about it.

You'll feel better when it's fixed.

Comment

okay so i jsut went again and started it, now its still at around 2k revs, quite high, and yeh i checked the idle thing but not exactly sure which one, think u could provide a link? that be great
                ne ways yeh ima just let it dry out for the next couple of days see how she is and on the weekend take a better look. thanks guys
                ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Sure here it is rave. The site is down at the moment though.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1844067

Cleaning the FITV and the IACV. Could check your idle too. Good luck and happy bday man.

Comment

You probably jarred something aloose when you sprayed it down. Hell I just spray degreaser on EVERYTHING and nozzle it. I never had a problem with my dizzy getting wet. Its kinda impossible for water to get into the cap unless the gasket around the cap is bad.

Comment

omg thanks guys, yeh the disttributor is fine, im sure that i need to check on fitv and iacv. it goes right with the symtoms messed up idling in park and N so yah thanks a bunch guys
                      ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by rave93 View Post
                        omg thanks guys, yeh the disttributor is fine, im sure that i need to check on fitv and iacv. it goes right with the symtoms messed up idling in park and N so yah thanks a bunch guys
                        No problem bro =] glad to help let us know what happens after fitv and iacv.

Comment

sweet, so today decided to work on her after dentist appointment LOL
                          i took of either the fitv, or the iacv. nto sure which is wich. It the one with the engine coolant going through. it was a bit wet(not good) and had a lot of carbon build up on one side. i took it out cleaning it, and before i put it back, i pluged the 2 holes that were left open. the car started and ran perfect. so i decided to put it back together. i did and started it. she ran perfect, but after the engine heated up, it started surging again D: i revved it a bit, and iot seemed to solve the problem, as it is now sitting calmly at 800 revs ne ways hope its good now, dads gone to get some gas(car isnt insured, i need the exhaust to get air care) so yeh thanks ALOT guys. lets hope she starts and works fine later on today
                          ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Glad to hear that you got it worked out.
                            1990 LX Coupe-----1992 LX Sedan

Comment

If it happens again...start the car, pull the IACV plug, should start bogging down, and might shut off, but if not, turn the car off. Take the negative battery terminal off, pull the Ecu, hazard, and radio backup fuses. (I always do so, works out just fine). Let it sit for a few minutes, then plug the IACV valve back in, put the negative back on, and put the fuses back in. Start 'er up, and check it out.

Everytime I've taken my plenum off, and put it back together, it always idle surged. This always fixed it, and last time it started going from 1,000 to 3,500 over and over. Come to find out, when I put the IACV back on and put the coolant hoses back on, I guess air got into the coolant system. Pulled the cap off (cold), it'll sound like opening a soda. Put it back on, warm the car up, turn it off, then loosen the bleeder on the thermostat housing until it streams steadly.
                              Last edited by Gotz Cb7; 03-15-2009, 02:33 AM.
                              98' Mustang 3V Swap
                              11' VW CC R36

Comment

Working...
                              X