Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

a6 to an a1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the manual and ive done a lot of research on it. I think I could do it but I'm just don't have the money to pay dude for something I could do myself. I know the tension on the timing belt has to be released and then its just disconnecting exhaust and a few things like the distributor and thermostats housings. I really think I can do it! Anyone that has done this before and could give a noob mechanic some tips would be greatly appreciated. Also I know to put motor at TDC and have rotor on position #1 so the timing stays in place.

Comment

all i will tell u is to keep everything organize get some sandwich bags and label every screw u pull from the motor and when u disconnect grounds from the housing make sure u put the screw back so u know where your grounds go and last but not least take pics before so u know where everything goes that the only thing i could think of also good luck with doing the head gasket that the first thing i would have did getting another motor i dont know anything about also the timing belt and water pump

Comment

Get a good torque wrench that goes as high as you'll need. Be sure to remove the head studs as directed, in the proper order. Do that wrong, and you'll warp the head.
        Take the head to a machine shop to ensure it's true. You don't want them to shave off too much material, but you'll need to remove enough to make it flat if it's warped. Blown head gaskets often warp heads.

I hope "the manual" isn't a Haynes or Chiltons... those things suck. Helm is the only one worth owning.

Originally posted by 92accordkidd View Post
        all i will tell u is to keep everything organize get some sandwich bags and label every screw u pull from the motor and when u disconnect grounds from the housing make sure u put the screw back so u know where your grounds go and last but not least take pics before so u know where everything goes that the only thing i could think of also good luck with doing the head gasket that the first thing i would have did getting another motor i dont know anything about also the timing belt and water pump
        That might actually be helpful information if anyone could understand it.

Comment

The manual is a Haynes! F@$k... I do appreciate all the info guys. I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Haynes is better than Chiltons (Chiltons focuses on all Accords and Preludes from 1984 to 1995... that's like 7 very different cars!) but the Helm manual is the official Honda shop manual. Helm has the rights from Honda to reproduce it.
            I read mine while taking a dump. It's so easy to follow, I can even learn that way!

Comment

Got to the mechanics house and started car, it sounded good except it was pouring antifreeze out near timing cover. I got the car home and took off head and found two holes on either side of head from where he drilled out exhaust mani bolts that broke off.... So now I'm waiting on the dude to get me a new head so I can fix the car. Damnable yo! Never gonna use this guy again...

Comment

what you mean by pouring antifreeze out near the timing cover so in other words it was coming out the water pump if so replace the water pump and timing belt if u didnt by now

Comment

The guy drilled to deep when he was drilling out broken exhaust mani bolts and there is now a hole on both sides of the head that antifreeze is coming out of. If he wouldn't have gone so deep my car would be running by now!

Comment

Dam that's bad now u know u really can't trust people to fix your car sometimes u have to give it a try yourself and read the Haynes manual on how to do things it breaks everything down step by step with pics

Comment

Without air tools and a cherry picker I wasn't able to do it myself. Also have only gravel for a driveway. Definately wont ever let anyone work on my Shit again...

Comment

Originally posted by mikeys92cb7 View Post
                        The guy drilled to deep when he was drilling out broken exhaust mani bolts and there is now a hole on both sides of the head that antifreeze is coming out of. If he wouldn't have gone so deep my car would be running by now!

Applying some RTV on the studs with the holes drilled into the water jacket should stop that.
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I thought about that, or jb weld but the holes are pretty deep! Just worried about seal failing while I'm on the road and warping head or worse

Comment

Having to put RTV on bolts to seal coolant jackets is nothing new. SBC guys always have to use it on the intake manifold bolts. I have always used the Permatex Black in the squeeze tube. Works great and doesn't harden like some of the other stuff. That way you can still remove the bolts if the need be.

I would be against the use of JB weld in this situation.
                            Last edited by GhostAccord; 12-14-2013, 04:30 PM.
                            MR Thread
                            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Got the car back together. The motor is a lot stronger and with the a6 cam and intake mani and plenum, I'm super happy. Thanks for all the advice guys. One last question, what would cause a surging idle?

Comment

check all your vaccum lines

Comment

Working...
                                X