Right rear riding REALLY low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right rear riding REALLY low

Went for a short trip today (300 miles). On the trip back I noticed my car riding really rough but thought it was just the poor roads in SC. I got home and noticed my front driver's tire-to-fender gap was HUGE. Checked the other corners and my right rear was looking really low even though there's no extra weight on it.

I jacked the car up and the suspension doesn't move at all!!

The only thing I can think is with the 5 people in the car and couple of hard bumps I couldn't avoid, the right rear strut got jammed up inside itself.

FYI, I'm running 5th gen H&R sports on used Bilsteins. See pic of wheel OFF of the ground:

My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm about to go pull the wheel and possibly disassemble the strut/spring assembly.
    My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

yea it probably popped thru the top hat, if thats the case then you could see it as soon as you take the back seat out

Comment

Bilsteins probably wasnt the best choice of struts. A strut meant for lowered applications would take the abuse for sure.

Comment

sounds like a blown strut to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyG View Post
            Bilsteins probably wasnt the best choice of struts. A strut meant for lowered applications would take the abuse for sure.
            Are you kidding!?!?!? Bilstien's quality meets or exceeds that of Koni. Bilstein's are perfectly fine for a lowered car and the valving is similar to a Koni Yellow on soft.

Originally posted by cb7dazz View Post
            yea it probably popped thru the top hat, if thats the case then you could see it as soon as you take the back seat out
            I think its either this, or the strut rod itself is bent. A disassembly is the only way to know for sure.

Originally posted by RedMagic187 View Post
            sounds like a blown strut to me.

I don't think its necessarily blown. His ride would just be bouncy, he wouldn't have this weird height issue.
            There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
              Are you kidding!?!?!? Bilstien's quality meets or exceeds that of Koni. Bilstein's are perfectly fine for a lowered car and the valving is similar to a Koni Yellow on soft.

I had a DC teg with bilstiens. best ride ever!!! with neuspeed springs. it was the shit
              www.stl-imports.com

Referral: crx08

support the import community

Comment

Originally posted by cb7dazz View Post

The strut popping through the top hat wouldn't change ride height at all because the spring would still be seated setting height.

Originally posted by SleepyG View Post
                Bilstein's are absolutely one of the best if not THE best strut available for our car (not including coilovers). They are actually more consistent than any other brand (a set of koni yellows usually require one strut all the way soft, another all the way hard, etc. for them to dyno as matched sets).

ANYWAY. I removed the strut/spring assembly and it remained "compressed". I turned it upside down and beat on the bottom of the strut and whatever was stuck inside let loose after 8-10 hard hits. It's all I have so I put it back on and it rides like before. No doubt some damage has been done internally but so far, so good.
                My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Really weird.....back right has been riding fine but now have a similar issue with the front left. SEE THREAD
                  My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                  X