Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bouncing rpms...help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bouncing rpms...help

I have A 92 CB7 EX-R its been really cold lately, but when i start the car in the morning the car climbs to 2000 rpms and then suddenly drops as if the car is losing power. Then it saves itself and stabilizes its revs. Now tonight i came home and when i put the car into park the rpms oscillate and the engines revs suddenly start bouncing. In Drive, Neutral or Reverse none of these symptoms occur. I then put the car into drive, and take it for a little drive, I come back and park it and the revs stabilize. This has now happened a couple times, im thinking that it its the idling control sensor, which i believe is attached to the fire wall.
    Does anyone have any ideas, has anyone experinced something like this, am i close?

Thanks

it was kind of cold where i live today and my car was doing the same thing. I asked my brother who is a mechanic and has also owned many cb's and he said it could be the egr valve

^^^^CLICK IT^^^^^

Comment

what is the exact function of the egr valve and is it only affected when its cold? Is it something that has to be fixed or replaced or it just malfunctions when its really cold outside?

Comment

Egr

The EGR is there to lower emissions badness. Basically it takes unburned exhaust gasses and runs them through the intake manifold again to attempt to burn more of the bad stuff. As you can imagine that gas is highly carbon rich and the EGR quite often get clogged. The best way to fix this is to clean it with some carb cleaner, or seafoam. There are multiple threads about cleaning it, just search egr clean, or something similar and you will find out how.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

idle control....adjust it i think your screw came off....is there like a air leak?

Originally posted by deevergote
          .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

Do the accords have IAC (Idle Air Control) valves like civic/tegs because those go bad quite often on them and it makes the revs bounce. like from 800rpms to like 3k or so.

Both of my other hondas have had this issue. I just took the IAC valve off and cleaned it.

Comment

Originally posted by 93-speacial-ed View Post
              Do the accords have IAC (Idle Air Control) valves like civic/tegs because those go bad quite often on them and it makes the revs bounce. like from 800rpms to like 3k or so.

Both of my other hondas have had this issue. I just took the IAC valve off and cleaned it.
              did it solve your problem?

.......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

Originally posted by turboAccordHSF View Post
                idle control....adjust it i think your screw came off....is there like a air leak?
                If there was a vacuum leak it would just increase the rpms, not make them bounce up and down. at least I don't think it should. I have not seen a car do that because of an leak before.

Comment

Originally posted by turboAccordHSF View Post
                  did it solve your problem?
                  yes it did. Though others had to buy new ones or used working ones. Cleaning them doesn't work for everyone.

edit: though cleaning them first is always cheaper, if it doesn't work oh well. It was worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by 93-speacial-ed View Post
                    If there was a vacuum leak it would just increase the rpms, not make them bounce up and down. at least I don't think it should. I have not seen a car do that because of an leak before.
                    there is a idle adjustment screw if you turn it counter clockwise it lowers your RPMs but if your turn it clockwise it raises them but if you turn it all the way till it falls out or in other words the screw is not attached to the upper plenum of the manifold then your rpms will go up and down up and down...its a air leak.....and another one is....the air valve to the right side where it has a spring in it is probably broken or the spring ain't attached right so you got to some what screw it in.....or go to the junk yard and get a new one...or in other words...a used one

Comment

there is a flathead screw on the TB, should have some yellow paint honda put on, make sure its all the way in the TB.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                      X