No announcement yet.

INT: Coupe Door Sill Garnish w/ Pictures *56k DIE!!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very nice!! any issue clearing the door when it closes?

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

really good wright up. very clear on how this is done. and a great idea. thanks
      "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

This is the second mod i've seen you do. This is the second mod of yours i like.

Keep up the good work
        Last edited by Tippey764; 02-19-2010, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Maybe you could try also getting a small "H" badge from a Honda and putting that in to make your garnish stand out more?

Comment

hahahah yeeeahhh, that sock gets around that little piggy too

@Baracuda: Nope, I don't think there is any clearance issue to worry about! If the badge was simply put on the garnish then the double-sided tape would elevate it, and probably cause it to rub... but I think the door has a pretty decent clearance away from it anyways. but to INSURE that it doesn't rub and it clears it fine, by dremeling and creating that inset, you allow it to sit lower, and what you cut out is about the height of the tape. i hope that made sense! so basically, the badge, with the tape underneath it, is sitting at about the height it would be if you just laid the badge on the ridges without gutting them.

HOWEVER!!! the reason why I used double-sided tape is because if the badges get messed up, I could easily replace them. The gutted region is cut to the size of the accord badge, and thus if you wanted to you could just glue the badge in the inset, and it will be flush, but it will also be permanent.

@drew12000, tippey764: haha thanks, i'd like to see you try this out if you have some time!

@tippey764: Thanks for checking out my stuff, really appreciate it I got a new shift knob off eBay, leather/chrome shift knob, I'll take pictures of it and post it up, I'm planning on making a DIY of that other mod I did sometime this week hopefully!

@sarthos: Sounds like a neat idea you could add to this, H's on the side of the Accord? or maybe just the H instead of accord? or a "Honda" badge. lot of possibilities here, feel free to experiment! but just be careful with it being too excessive though, like maybe one or the other, because it might look too busy. I just thought about it, and if you just do the H badge (one that has the center empty spots filled in, so those aftermarket badges) it would look pretty sick. this DIY is meant to accent this part of your car that generally goes unnoticed, so something small but tasteful is my personal recommendation for this project. one badge should be good enough, but if you can make it look good with two+ badges, then i say go for it! in fact, I was thinking of putting the "EX" badge right after it, but for my tastes, its a little too much. and because the badge is small in comparison to the garnish itself, theres no worry about people steppin' all up on the stuff because it's in a spot where no one SHOULD be stepping

http://www.lextasy.com/images_products/3752.jpg

here's an example of this kind of door sill on the lexus is250, or 350. or whatever. but yeah, it's 4 door, so for sedans i think this DIY would look pretty good! no unused space, like on the coupe door sills. perfect size.

Oh! And, in the picture the accord badge looks relatively small compared to the door sill garnish itself. in person, it's actually a pretty decent size, I was looking at it again today. :] I'd love to see some people try this, and post pictures of their results and ideas up on this thread!
            blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

oh... and the lexus door sill garnishes i linked up earlier... ;D If someone can figure out how to make the door sill illuminate? OH GAD. that'd be AWESOME.

maybe... wire up an led strip underneath the tape??? somewhere??? something. it looks good in my head ;D but i can't quite figure out the method right now haha, in regards to bringing the wire all the way to the door sill garnish.

Comment

Originally posted by P5ylance View Post
                ok i have an idea for the light... in the early/mid 90's oldmobiles... like the ciera or w.e in the door pannels over the window buttons there a little light that lights up the buttons... what if you take that and cut the part on the door garnish that goes down.. like in the bend part... ugh its hard to explain.... like its a very small light that is on the door panel of the ciera that looks like its the right size to go just above the 90degree angle in the door garnish... ima try to find a picture of the door panel but let me know if u know what im talking about lol i feel like a complete moron..
                Originally posted by deevergote
                wen yous in da import seen yo, u gotta tipe lyke yous from da streetz cuz it showz dat u git mad rezpect yo. toonerz dun tipe lyke dey gotz a edjakashun cuz dat aint coo.

Comment

I think they actually have these for our coupes. I think i saw someone had them long time ago when i signed up and been looking for them eversince. and they're JDM.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                  1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                  1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                  2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Originally posted by cb7inct View Post
                    ok i have an idea for the light... in the early/mid 90's oldmobiles... like the ciera or w.e in the door pannels over the window buttons there a little light that lights up the buttons... what if you take that and cut the part on the door garnish that goes down.. like in the bend part... ugh its hard to explain.... like its a very small light that is on the door panel of the ciera that looks like its the right size to go just above the 90degree angle in the door garnish... ima try to find a picture of the door panel but let me know if u know what im talking about lol i feel like a complete moron..
                    @cb7inct: I can KINDAAA picture it, not quite, I got up to the light part that lights up the window switches, tryin' to figure out how you're thinking about how to put it on the garnish... MS Paint that shizzz!

@vietkid_2006: WHAAA!? mad rareee! to actually see a picture of one would be awesome. just to see it, hahaha

Comment

very nice man, great job, i might consider doing this someday!

1992 Accord EX MT : CB#2
                      DIY OEM amber corners w/reflectors

Comment

Why not cut completely through the garnish, to where you see the metal door sill, so therefore you would have enought clearence for the tape/light combo. It would be easy to illuminate the H emblems that are on the grill, b/c they are clear plastic thats been painted. Sandpaper will take off the old paint leaving the outsides of the H clear, and then you can put a LED strip or something under it and the H would show whatever color, and the lights underneath it would shine whatever color you got them in.

Just my 2 cents.

-Aaron

Originally posted by Makaveli2k
                        White girls make the world go round. If I were to be stranded on an island and I could only 3 things to bring with me It'd be 2 different white girls. And a Smashing pumpkins Cd... I hear they like that shit. =p

Comment

This is legit.
                          Cheap and very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_CB7_Sedan View Post
                            Why not cut completely through the garnish, to where you see the metal door sill, so therefore you would have enought clearence for the tape/light combo. It would be easy to illuminate the H emblems that are on the grill, b/c they are clear plastic thats been painted. Sandpaper will take off the old paint leaving the outsides of the H clear, and then you can put a LED strip or something under it and the H would show whatever color, and the lights underneath it would shine whatever color you got them in.

Just my 2 cents.

-Aaron
                            good idea, yeah, if someone's gonna plan on lighting up these sills, they're gonna have to cut somewhere to make room for those LEDs. I didn't cut all the way through because i just wanted the emblem in there, but then i saw lighted door sills and i was like "whaahaaha!?!"

just figuring out a way to secure the badge though would require some thinking, if you cut through the garnish. maybe... cut here and there? like have the LED strip under the garnish, but wherever the LED bulbs are, drill holes in the garnish to reveal them so they shine through. so that you still have the plastic to mount onto, but the LEDs can still light it up?

Comment

JDM ones for the CD7 Accords light up green.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                              1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                              1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                              2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

It's gonna be a trick to get it to light up as evenly as that Lexus sill on page 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X