Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Aftermarket Headlight Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Headlight Quality

My stock headlights are full of tiny chips in the glass. Headlights are one of the things I'm very picky about, they can make or break the look of a car.

So, I'm looking at new headlights and I'm wondering about lights such as these:

http://www.carparts.com/details/Hond...1721-001700633

According to the ad, they have a plastic lens, rather that the thick glass like OEM. This doesn't suprise me as I'm sure this makes them cheaper to manufacture, but I can see it as a positive. Stock headlights are heavy, these will surely be a bit lighter.

But I'm worried about how well they will fit. Everything on my front end lines up perfectly right now and I don't want to end up with a car that looks like it was fixed up from an accident.

Has anyone installed lights like these before? How did they fit? Pics?

I'm not going to spend a fortune on one piece JDM lights, and finding OEM ones that look good enough is not easy, so this is where I'm at.

Or, if anyone has had luck at polishing out the chips in the glass on stock lights, let me know how you did it.

OK so for starters those headlights are pretty damn cheap so if you bought them and they didnt work out you wouldnt be at a huge loss; you can always on-sell them to recover most of your costs.
    Plastic vs glass lense, well the JDM one and two piece lenses are made of plastic (or polycarbonate or whatever it is) so I wouldnt be too concerned about robustness.. you're not going to be saving much weight by swapping glass to plastic only a couple of lb's but, every little bit counts I guess.

As for fittment make sure you get the right type for your car, theres a difference between the 90 - 91 type and the 92 - 93 type. The ones one the website are for 92 - 93 accord so be sure that your accord is the same. They will be made to the OEM specs as far as fittment so it should all line up nice and straight for you.

If I were you I'd go for it, they look alright, worst case scenario you dont like them and have to sell them on or just take a $76 loss...

Comment

I've bought TYC headlights from rockauto.com. They are about $42, and they had the glass lens. I don't think I've ever seen OE aftermarket headlights with plastic lenses, only glass.

They looked the same as the OEM ones that were on my car.
      Originally posted by deevergote
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

The car I bought came with a aftermarket replacement light on my passenger side and all I can say is that is has a lot of glare compared to the oem one on the driver side.

Comment

Originally posted by ol blue View Post
          The car I bought came with a aftermarket replacement light on my passenger side and all I can say is that is has a lot of glare compared to the oem one on the driver side.
          Do you have a pic?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy88 View Post
            Do you have a pic?
            I can try to get one later tonight.

Comment

If the lens is glass, as it should be, they should be just as good as OEM. Fitment MIGHT be a bit off, being a cheap part.

The only aftermarket lights to avoid are the ones with projectors in them, as most of those produce terrible output.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                If the lens is glass, as it should be, they should be just as good as OEM. Fitment MIGHT be a bit off, being a cheap part.

The only aftermarket lights to avoid are the ones with projectors in them, as most of those produce terrible output.
                It is glass but it is by no means as good as the driver oem one. There is so much glare it is like I put HIDs in my stock light. I will try to get an output tonight or tomorrow night, when I am able to make it out of town.

Comment

Wasn't able to get out of town but found a good street. The passenger headlight is made out of anodized aluminum. Also these are brand new GE Nighthawk Platinum's.

Most of the light is scattered but it does look bright. Doesn't do much when driving on back roads though when it is just lighting up the 10 feet in front of you and not much of the ditch. And yes I have adjust it up quite a bit from where it was from but didn't help much.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
                    I've bought TYC headlights from rockauto.com. They are about $42, and they had the glass lens. I don't think I've ever seen OE aftermarket headlights with plastic lenses, only glass.

They looked the same as the OEM ones that were on my car.
                    i went with the TYC replacements on my cb too. and after a few years the glass lenses are still clear as the day i installed them.
                    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

I had depo aftermarket ones. The glass wasn't as thick, and the beam pattern sucked compared to OEM, also the fitment was a little off but not bad. Went back to OEM and found a good set of lenses at the junkyard.

Now I don't like anything but oem headlight units.
                      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Well, here they are. TYC lights. I switched the buckets out for the original ones, thinking that might improve the fitment. I'm cleaning up the bumper right now... soon I'll see how well they fit with the bumper and grille.

Last edited by Crazy88; 04-19-2014, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X