My brakes wont bleed!? Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brakes wont bleed!? Help

I replaced my front driver brake line and rear passenger brake cylinder. Absolutely no fluid is coming out of the wheel cylinder!

How can I bleed the system now?

Let it gravity bleed for awhile, it might help.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Use two people and just keep bleeding it

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
        Let it gravity bleed for awhile, it might help.
        some one else told me to do this but I was sketched out by the idiea.

Comment

Did you replace the rubber bit too?
          MRT
          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
          Originally posted by Tippey764
          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
          Originally posted by deevergote
          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

try backing the bleeders out further, if they didnt have the rubber caps and theyre original they get clogged up. Maybe the line to the new wheel cylinder is full of sediment (rust) too. if you have an air line. d/c them and blow them out..theres a bunch of possibilities, do whats easiest first.
            I like to use a couple of quarts of denatured alcohol to flush the system then fill with brake fluid and bleed.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
              Did you replace the rubber bit too?
              I dont understand?

So far this is some info I have gathered.

Engine off
              master cylinder lid off
              pump brakes like mad man
              hold down brakes
              open bleed screw then close it
              with a hose going into a bottle?
              RR
              LF
              FR
              RF

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                try backing the bleeders out further, if they didnt have the rubber caps and theyre original they get clogged up. Maybe the line to the new wheel cylinder is full of sediment (rust) too. if you have an air line. d/c them and blow them out..theres a bunch of possibilities, do whats easiest first.
                I like to use a couple of quarts of denatured alcohol to flush the system then fill with brake fluid and bleed.
                what does D/C mean?

What I am thinking is maybe some grime from the old wheel cylinder fell into the new wheel cylinder whn i was connecting it to the line?

Comment

I don't understand... so many people on this forum do their own work on their cars, but they never get the proper tools. Please, invest in one of these...

*vacuum brake bleeder/ one person brake bleeder/ it has many different names*
                  (This was just a quick google image search, there are many different models ranging from $30 to $130).
                  It will more than pay for itself after using it a couple times. It will save you so much time and hassle in dealing with the brakes. As long as you have a small compressor (can be found on craigslist for REALLY cheap).
                  Last edited by oni_cb7; 03-27-2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

only the rear wheel cylinder i replaced wont bleed out makes me think its either defective or clogged from not cleaning the surrounding area...

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
                      I don't understand... so many people on this forum do their own work on their cars, but they never get the proper tools. Please, invest in one of these...

It will more than pay for itself after using it a couple times. It will save you so much time and hassle in dealing with the brakes. As long as you have a small compressor (can be found on craigslist for REALLY cheap).
                      Can I buy this locally ?

Comment

Some autoparts stores (O'reillys, autozone, pepboys [not sure what is near you]) should have these in stock. If not, they will be able to order one for you and have it to you faster than ordering online. However, you will probably spend more than if you just buy it online and have it shipped to you.

Comment

(This was just a quick google image search, there are many different models ranging from $30 to $130).
                          I feel dumb asking this question but.... how does this work exactly? (how do you operate it?)

Comment

those things suck and are a waste of money, you spend more time dicking with it then doing actual work, when all you need is a friend and 20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                              those things suck and are a waste of money, you spend more time dicking with it then doing actual work, when all you need is a friend and 20 minutes.
                              Yes, if you buy a cheap tool, then it is going to suck. If you spend money to buy a good one, then it will save you a lot of time and effort. Seems like you had a bad experience with some cheap tools. I've been using a quality brake bleeder for the past 5-6 years, it has been more than helpful. Especially since you don't have to wait for a friend to be available just to do your brakes. Its so simple already, this just makes it even simpler.

Plus, there must be a reason that most professional mechanics rely on this tool. It makes the job that much easier. But to each their own, no need to try to steer someone away from making a job easier.

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                              I feel dumb asking this question but.... how does this work exactly? (how do you operate it?)
                              Hose from a compressor hooks up to it. The other hose goes on to the brake bleeder nipple. It uses the compressed air to suck the brake fluid through the system and removes air bubbles.
                              Last edited by oni_cb7; 03-30-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X