Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vibration at 65mph before & after alignment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vibration at 65mph before & after alignment.

so when i got my 90 accord ex, i noticed while driving it home from buying the car that it vibrated at around 65 mph.. i just figured tires needed a balance & an alignment. so i had plans on lowering the car so i just ignored it.
    two weeks ago i finally got around to lowering the car.. replaced some ball joints and bushings.. added camber kit .. then took it in for an alignment.

its still vibrating at 65mph..

would some bad wheel bearings cause this? i cant hear any hum or anything from the bearings themselves.. but when i corner hard i hear what sounds like the brake dust shield come in contact with the brake disk. also when i pull a sharp U turn, its not smooth.. its hard to describe..

any ideas?

they don't necessarily re-balance each wheel during an alignment... sounds like you should get the wheels/tires balanced. how old are the tires? try rotating the front ones to the rear, to see if the problem subsides.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

the fronts are used.. rear are brand new.. but before i just had stock 15" alloys.. i suppose i could swap front to back.. but i've got a guy who wants to buy the wheels this weekend.. so i wont be having them long. i dont like how they stick out.. and i'm not a fan of tire stretching and bad camber to make them fit under the fenders LOL. (i plan on going lower)

current setup:

Comment

i need to install new brake rotors & pads.. i figured i might just install new wheel bearings while i was at it.. hoping it would help remove the vibration

Comment

does the vibration come when you accelerate ~ 65mph? and go away when you let off the throttle? may have a bad axle.

Comment

Could also be a bad motor mount (front or rear), or could be play in the steering rack.

In my old sedan I chased around highway vibrations for years, and never actually figured it out. Replaced the front and rear motor mounts (which were both damaged), replace both drive axles (but not the intermediate shaft, which is where the problem may have been), and the steering rack (which had been leaking).
            Originally posted by deevergote
            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

thanks guys, i'll check into those areas.

Comment

I've been chasing the shakes for years. I have replaced everything. Everything 2-3 times and have lifetime alignment privlages. I would try wheel bearings especially if you are doing front rotors already. The intermediate shaft doesn't effect shakes at all. My old bearing was long gone and my new one made no difference. I will say this year I'm trying hubs and vss. It's weird how now if I think it's something for a week or too it feels like that has to be the answer. Let me know what you come up with. Vss (vehicle speed sensor). Long shot but. Not that I think that's your problem. I hope it's your bearings or tires.
                ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

It doesnt say you had the wheels balanced, did you? Is the vibration in the entire car or just the steering wheel? If its only the steering wheel at 65-70mph then its more than likely just the wheel balance.

Comment

Are you running hub centric rings? Usually aftermarket rims have huge hub bore and will have gap over the oem hub. The centric rings fill that gap making sure the rims is fully centered once you put it on.

For example my 2010 Accord has a 64.1 hub and the rims I have has a 73mm hub bore. I had serious vibration at 65-70mph before I put on centric rings. The centric rings will eliminate most of that vibration and only costs $5-6 at the most.

It can also be the tires. I had shit tires at some point when I still had my CB. I switched the shit tires after 1 year to Yokohama's and the vibration went away.
                    Last edited by ExplodingCake; 04-03-2014, 11:59 PM.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

it does it with OEM 14" steelie wheels and the OEM 15" alloy wheels.. and both had been balanced. as far as tires... i could never bring myself to spend the money for yokohamas LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X