ALS Ice Bucket Challenge - Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge - Thoughts?

I've been seeing this all over my Facebook wall, and I'm not sure I understand it.

From what I've had explained to me, the point is to donate to support ALS research, or dump a bucket of ice water on yourself. Then you challenge someone else to do it as well.
    What I see is a bunch of people dumping ice water on themselves, and calling out their friends to do it. I'm assuming these people aren't donating anything; just dumping water on themselves and filming it.

A few celebrities have apparently done it AND donated large sums (such as Bill Gates... I like that guy!)

I realize that the ice water bit, and the fun of sharing the videos, is supposed to raise awareness.

For those that have done it, I ask you (without looking it up right now)... who can say what ALS means? Who can say what it does?
    What awareness has this "challenge" raised?

Honestly, I feel the "challenge" should involve a donation OR a 10 page essay on the topic. At least then a lot of money would be raised... and a handful of people might actually learn a thing or two. ACTUAL awareness will be raised!

It's something lateral sclerosis. Or Lou Gehrig disease. It's when the brain does something and makes the person have involuntary actions. That's about all I know.
    Last edited by H311RA151N; 11-28-2014, 11:16 PM.

Comment

The challenge originally started as just a fun challenge between people and then someone said oh well if you don't do it you have to donate to such and such charity. It has been around for a while but didn't really see a lot of popularity until several celebrities picked ALS as their charity and it took off from there.

Originally it was ice water and $10 donation or $100 donation if you didn't want to do the ice water. However now it has become ice water or $100 donation because they have received more donations in the past couple of months than they have received in the past 5 years combined. Now they are trying to make it more viral so more people see it by removing the obligation to donate and just making it something to pass around so people become more aware of ALS. more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.

If a person were to send you a link saying hey read this about ALS most people would be like "Ain't nobody got time for that" but a video of your friend getting a bucket of ice water over his head for ALS might get you to go "Why the fuck would he do this and what the fuck is ALS?" Which in turn encourages research on the subject.

For those that don't know ALS is a disease that essentially destroys communication along the spinal cord between the brain and body over a period of time and has 100% death rate. Even the most advanced medicines on the market only offer up to 3 months of extended life once it has begun.

I didn't really know anything about the disease until I was tagged over the weekend and did the challenge myself and decided to see what I was getting ice water dumped on my head for.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Comment

I guess it IS working, somewhat. I think the whole "raising awareness" bit is essentially BS, because people focus on the fun part... and they don't bother looking deeper into things.

However, we're talking about it... so maybe it does work!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I guess it IS working, somewhat. I think the whole "raising awareness" bit is essentially BS, because people focus on the fun part... and they don't bother looking deeper into things.

However, we're talking about it... so maybe it does work!

All it takes is one young person taking part in the challenge and realizing as they get older they have ideas that could help.

Comment

I still feel that many of the people that do it don't know a thing about the disease, nor do they even bother donating to the cause... BUT, just a small fraction of the participants learn and/or donate, then something positive was done!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              I still feel that many of the people that do it don't know a thing about the disease, nor do they even bother donating to the cause... BUT, just a small fraction of the participants learn and/or donate, then something positive was done!
              Yeah I think I read that they averaged 1.4 million in donations per year since the charity was setup and in the last 2 months alone since the ice water bucket challenge started they have received over 10 million dollars in donations. Sure there are a lot of people who do it simply for the fun of it and don't take even a second to find out what they are doing it for but obviously a lot of people are taking the time.

Comment

Looks like I was a bit off.

Comment

Its stupid. Southern California is in a drought and these idiots are dumping fresh clean cold water on themselves.
                  1. They are in a drought.
                  2. They didn't donate.
                  3. They filmed themselves wasting water.
                  4. Now even more needy people with out BUCKETS OF ICE COLD WATER , around the world hate western culture.

This reminds me of the Harlem Shake viral videos. "Con los terroristas"

Bright idea let's undumb society.

Comment

Best ALS ice bucket challenge ever.

Comment

I wonder if we can calculate how much water has been wasted.
                      H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

ALS is truly a tragic disease. Imagine losing control of your muscles from the lower extremities upward and inward, to the point where you cannot swallow or talk. This disease runs in my family on my mother's side through her father's line. His brother just died from it a few years ago. It's hereditary nature seems to skip a generation more often than not, so I am personally susceptible, as are all of my cousins on my mother's side.

That being said, I do not like the waste of water this is generating. It's probably too late now, but if planking and owling can be so popular, can't we come up with another interwebs-attracting activity like one of those?

"Donate money to ALS research, or take a picture of yourself '________'ing and post it on __________ ."
                        *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                        ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                        ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                        "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                        The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                        Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
                          Its stupid. Southern California is in a drought and these idiots are dumping fresh clean cold water on themselves.
                          1. They are in a drought.
                          2. They didn't donate.
                          3. They filmed themselves wasting water.
                          4. Now even more needy people with out BUCKETS OF ICE COLD WATER , around the world hate western culture.

This reminds me of the Harlem Shake viral videos. "Con los terroristas"

Bright idea let's undumb society.

http://www.eonline.com/news/570485/i...iving-accident

So i guess calling people idiots on this forum for wasting water has raised water awareness oh and the guy died.

Comment

I don't really see how anyone can say this is a bad thing. Maybe some people (likely most people) don't really know what it's for or are not educated at all on the reason why they are dumping water on peoples heads.

About California and the West Coast. I can walk out to a lake or pond anytime here and get good water. I may have to boil some of it, but it's water none the less that I can drink. There is plenty of water here and always has been for thousands of years. A piece of advice if I may. Water is the most vital resource on the face of the planet. Therefore it's wise not to live where it's scarce. Or you will always be faced with supply issues.

Not to mention there are companies dumping their waste into the water all over the world. How much water is that wasting?

A little science for this idea as well. The water isn't "wasted". It doesn't disappear. It's called the Hydrologic Cycle or Water Cycle.

Wasting water is only wasting water when you live where it all has to be brought in from other areas. Don't like it then don't live where the groundwater isn't. I can't help it that all the precious water the Californians are dumping on their heads is going into my groundwater.
                            Last edited by H311RA151N; 11-28-2014, 11:17 PM.

Comment

It's just tough living in California in an area where someone can be fined up to $2000 for using more water than they are rationed. Those people on rations, depending on the area, often find it quite hard to adjust. While raising money for ALS research is a very awesome and worthy endeavor, I just wish the activity that gets people's attention could be different, not involving using water in that way.
                              *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                              ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                              ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                              "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                              Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                              The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                              Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Working...
                              X