Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's time to refresh this site. We need some new ideas, and some new moderators!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
    For the newcomers to the site, maybe you should make a sub-section specifically dedicated for the people who have excessively bad grammar, spelling, etc. That way everyone who wants to type like they are on a two-way, can have a section free of the harassment that they get. Also it will generate unique keywords that could lead more traffic to this site, even the random visitor who has no purpose with this site, you'll still get paid by Google for their impressions.

Also maybe you should consider a 'badge system', where doing certain things around the site to help others can be cause for a moderator to reward you with a badge of some sort. For example if I was a moderator, GeoffM would get the 'Troll' badge, make it fun, and interesting at the same time.

Also I really like the idea of the DIY section being re-categorized, and images being hosted with a reliable 3rd party image host. You already have the basic format, just expand on it, and create sub-sub-sections break it up even more. With this it would also be nice if you could get that particular section to display threads with replies from the last year (or longer), or compile an basic index in each section that is a sticky.

Also I think the MRT section could use some organization. I like the fact that all the MRT's are listed under one section, but it would be nice if there was a way to make it so there were sub-sections (say by paint color), that when you enter the sub-section, it filters the results for the main view/section. E.g.. So you can see all the most recent replies on MRT's in one place, but if you enter a subsection, it limits you to the criteria of that sub-section.
    I think the first idea could work well. I have been thinking about this a couple days. Never bann anyone again. Instead create a learners section to banish them too. If you don't read the rules, don't like how mods treat you, don't like hearing stock shocks can't be used on a lowered vehicle or the z on your keyboard is worn out cuz you are cool you are stuck in the learners section. No post count. Even bait them in with the learners members ride thread. Let them do what they want. Let them western union money to some dude in India selling coil overs for 50 bucks. The only thing a mod does there is boot spam bots. Most of those people would like to talk to people who think like them. It would be like the Facebook page. If you can't beat the Facebook tuners, join them sorta. FOR THE REST OF THE COMMUNITY IT WOULD BE LIKE REALITY T.V. that's a win win. This site might have twice the members if no one was ever kicked off or rubbed the wrong way.
    Last edited by cb7 calling; 04-07-2014, 09:40 AM.
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

That's my biggest dilemma... I know we could have a much more active forum if I were to get rid of the Beginner Forums, open up the Classifieds, and stop encouraging others to type like adults. I think that's where I draw the line, though. I want this forum to be more active... but I don't want to have to lower the standards to do so. Over the years, I feel this forum has grown into a community that encourages learning, respect, and intelligence. I'm not comfortable with compromising those things just to get more traffic!

A learning sub-section that would be used as punishment wouldn't go over well. The "Nazi moderator" accusations would be flying in that case... and in many instances, they may even be true!

I do like the idea of a sub-section dedicated to grammar, spelling, etc... I may look into that. It may not be very popular among those that actually need it, but it could function as a valuable resource. When someone types out some unintelligible garbage, expecting to get a detailed and coherent answer, they can be directed to that subsection... where they can learn how to communicate effectively, and why it is so important!

We shall see. Something like that would need planning to become effective. LadyG would probably be a good one to help keep that afloat, but I know she's a bit busy with family, life, and her business right now.

I'm still chewing on the ideas presented here.

Comment

I would not make it easier to get into the classifieds or even out of the beginner forum. If anything harder than it currently is. Like you need 30 post and a voucher from an established member. I see most of the newer community being in the new beginner sub forum where you don't have official post count or anybody saying that's against the written rules you did not read. Who knows sometimes there may be benefit from it, some kid may do a k, or b swap without the better judgment of a knowledgable member explaining the difficulties and only a bunch of piers saying it would be hella dope.
        Last edited by cb7 calling; 04-07-2014, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          It gets suggested about once a year. I shoot it down every time.
          A chat box would be impossible to monitor and moderate, and if Facebook is any indication, fast-paced, real-time conversation can erupt into shit-talking way too quickly!

Plus, it would likely require modifications that I wouldn't want to risk (potential stability issues), and it may cause a major increase in bandwidth usage (which is already a bit of an issue.)
          werd
          FRIENDS
          DONT LET
          FRIENDS
          ROLL ON
          ROTA'S

Comment

So..yeah there's a guy from Indonesia trying to cash in on the forum name with a couple of one off designed shirts.

Popped up on the 'unofficial' cb7tuner facebook page.
            Henry R
            Koni/Neuspeed
            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
            1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
            Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
            made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

I would enforce the the classified and adult grammar rules.

Keep the most common stickies or FAQ just move them somewhere else and I don't know start having give aways.

By the way the BBQ and Work on car nights/days/weekends wont work because some one in the crowd always gets desperate envious or what ever and decides to steal or damage items. So best to leave that to senior members or exclusively as a thing that only a few people do. Ive seen this go sour before.

also for science and for future research dizzy tranny and such or when people use acronyms or shorten the word what ever the case is, they should first use the entire word then if they want use a slang word.

Ex.
              "I was working on my distributor(dizzy) and while the dizzy was out I noticed that there was no oil in the housing after all!"
              or
              "I was removing my Engine Control Unit (ecu) and noticed that the ecu was incorrect for my model."

maybe thats asking too much. I say we just spoon feed the shit out the noobs...
              Last edited by 8ball; 04-08-2014, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                So..yeah there's a guy from Indonesia trying to cash in on the forum name with a couple of one off designed shirts.

Popped up on the 'unofficial' cb7tuner facebook page.
                we should just do a group buy lol

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
                  I would enforce the the classified and adult grammar rules.

Keep the most common stickies or FAQ just move them somewhere else and I don't know start having give aways.

By the way the BBQ and Work on car nights/days/weekends wont work because some one in the crowd always gets desperate envious or what ever and decides to steal or damage items. So best to leave that to senior members or exclusively as a thing that only a few people do. Ive seen this go sour before.

also for science and for future research dizzy tranny and such or when people use acronyms or shorten the word what ever the case is, they should first use the entire word then if they want use a slang word.

Ex.
                  "I was working on my distributor(dizzy) and while the dizzy was out I noticed that there was no oil in the housing after all!"
                  or
                  "I was removing my Engine Control Unit (ecu) and noticed that the ecu was incorrect for my model."

maybe thats asking too much. I say we just spoon feed the shit out the noobs...
                  Grammar has never really been a rule... but perhaps it should be. I know it's a very "nazi-ish" thing to do, but when someone speaks in incoherent slang, we can't even help them. It's difficult, though. Your post right there is rife with grammatical errors! That's why I haven't made it a steadfast rule. We only hassle people when their posts are truly unintelligible, or when someone is clearly making an effort to type like an e-thug (it's hard to take someone seriously wen deyz typn lyke dis al da tyme yo!!)
                  There have been a few good suggestions on how to handle the members that can't seem to assemble a coherent sentence. Hopefully we can come up with a good system that will result in the education of the grammatically deficient, without alienating every member on here.

BBQ/wrenching meets can be a risk that way, you're right. Damage, theft (accidental or otherwise), or just conflict between the people that are working and the people that are just in the way... all potential problems. I had such a thing at my house a few years ago. 3 people did most of the wrenching on my car (I wasn't even one of them!), and a bunch of others stood around doing very little. I'm fairly certain I have a few extra sockets that don't belong to me as a result of that day. Everyone got along, and a lot of work got done thanks to those that helped... but I could see how it might not work out that way with everyone. I just happened to have a good crowd of guys... and I had known them all for quite some time.

Using abbreviated terms such as "dizzy" is one of Jarrett's pet peeves... and I totally agree with him. That should be something we focus on.
                  The idea that this is a searchable database, rather than a forum for one-off repair advice, is what sets it apart from Facebook, or even the corporate forums where there's no sense of community. That's something we should seek to improve upon.

Also, as for the t-shirt... I'm aware of it. I am grateful for Mr Sinaga's contribution. Stay tuned.

Comment

Dizzy, distributor, alt, alternator, engine, motor. If I'm searching I'm trying all of them. Maybe it should not be a problem to use the most common reference name. Most people say ecu, some say ECM and few say engine control module. If someone says my dizzy spinner fell off maybe that thread should not be used as reference anyhow.

Comment

That's true. Though the info given after the improper name might be useful.

We can encourage proper usage, but perhaps we can make a thread that lists common abbreviations. If someone has distributor problems, they can look in that thread and learn that they can also search for "dizzy".

We could also do a search and edit the posts that use the non-preferred terms, and replace them with the terms we want to use. Search for "dizzy", and 95% of the results will likely be about the distributor (not many of us talk about getting dizzy... ) 11 years of that would make for one hell of a task, though!

Again, with my plans to promote a number of new moderators, it's not impossible for us to tackle large tasks by dividing them among the larger group of moderators... so even suggestions like that aren't out of the realm of possibilities.

Comment

Also, as for the t-shirt... I'm aware of it. I am grateful for Mr Sinaga's contribution. Stay tuned.
                        Yeah as soon as I saw that...I went 'oh shit' but the good thing is he was pretty straight forward about asking about the owner.

I'd ask to be a moderator but damn I'm rarely at a pc now..unless it's my smartphone.

And yes I still have duties over at cd5tuner.com
                        Henry R
                        Koni/Neuspeed
                        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,

Comment

But then we'll attract Prelude owners... and Prelude owners are stupidheads!
                          And why am I a stupidhead? HMMMMMMM?

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
                          BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
                          Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
                          CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

I had to weigh in on this 'Facebook' page. I really think that in a way it should be exclusive for JUST the members. Because I've seen a trend where if they want a mod and they get lazy they go on and ask for pointers but why give out the easy route when searching is so simple with a click of a button and few keystrokes??

I explained it to this one guy 'Slow Accord' and he got mad because I wouldn't spill out the info.

There's a forum...search. It's a pretty easy concept.
                            Henry R
                            Koni/Neuspeed
                            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                            Legend FSM

Comment

Instead of typing out your answers on facebook where no search engine will index them, maybe instead post the link to the answer back on this site, this includes examples of reasons why not to do something, so people who haven't yet, get a clue.
                              PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.
                                THIS. +16351621

So sig worthy, its going in right now.
                                Wrecked, Revived, and still Rollin'

Check out my MRT!

Originally posted by deevergote
                                The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

Comment

Working...
                                X