Straight Success : 2003 Chevy S10 LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight Success : 2003 Chevy S10 LS

Here's my new addition to the family. To be honest, I glanced at a few 4th generation Accords, but finding something mint to build upon is tough these days.

Anywhoot, I found a very clean, and I mean very clean, rust-free regular cab stepside S10 in black. Granted, I used the money for my LSX swap to buy it, but I think it was well worth it.

As you can probably imagine, this too will be getting V8 swapped someday. For now, I can't figure out if it's going to end up with a 6.0L or a 5.3L. It's little and light, and I think the 6.0L is overkill for it, but time will tell which direction she is headed in.

Specs:

...Stock For The Most Part...

Last edited by Straight Success; 11-27-2019, 09:01 AM.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

I like that little step-side, reminds me of the extreme. The S10 sharing so much with the Fbodies im sure you can use the 4th gen LS calipers on the S10 like we used to on the 3rd gen Camaros for a cheap perfomance upgrade. Dont overlook the smaller 4.8 as the HP potential is right there next to the 5.3 with a slightly lower tq figure but on a small truck it will still get you moving in a hurry with some 3.73 or even the 3.42 and can be had cheaper than the 5.3 because literally everyone overlooks them.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Thanks for that feedback.

I think I have my mind made up with the direction I will be going in. Sometimes I just overthink for a second, but we're good.

Most likely it's getting some pieces of a Chevy Blazer's anatomy along with bigger brakes to stop a ~333hp/~366 ft-lbs L33 or LM4 (final numbers will be had on the dyno). I'm going to keep it clean with a set of really nice wheels, and the heart of it all will have a decent intake, a nice set of headers, a custom built exhaust with high flow cats and mufflers, and it'll be done with the intentions of being CARB legal.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

GM parts are good for decent amounts of power, a tbss intake which can be found for under $200 can support upwards of 400whp with hard to beat numbers down low in RPM; there are multiple threads on "budget" builds using factory parts. Just do be warned that once you go over 5.7 liters in LS family the transmissions start to live short lives in factory form and even shorter in hot-rodding time. Honestly you can do ALOT with a reasonable amount of work, a mild 5.3 or even a 4.8 with say a Summit Pro low lift cam, budged headers in 1 3/4 to a dual 2.5 and a tune should put you in the area you are looking at getting. There are plenty cams you can use with factory springs and even more using a $80 LS6 spring kit with and without a converter. Just as a FYI, GM chose the FTI TH400 as the mate to the supercharged 5.3 and later 350ci LS engine for the COPO out of the mill of transmissions they had at hand and alot of the guys over on the Camaro forums also go this direction even at the loss of 3 speeds due to durability and build cost. i believe you are an engineer though i am sure you know all the recipes that will suit your intended goal.
        [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I appreciate the knowledge and vote of confidence. I know a little about a little, but I'm reading everyday while on a quest to learn more. I have a solid general idea to get to where I want to be for both of my S10s.

Stay tuned, and I'll keep everyone updated on my progress. I have to save now for the 6.0L Gen III dropout to swap into my extended cab as I spent my money on this truck.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
            I appreciate the knowledge and vote of confidence. I know a little about a little, but I'm reading everyday while on a quest to learn more. I have a solid general idea to get to where I want to be for both of my S10s.

Stay tuned, and I'll keep everyone updated on my progress. I have to save now for the 6.0L Gen III dropout to swap into my extended cab as I spent my money on this truck.
            That's a good setback! I've been considering getting a small truck in the future, but I know I would mod it. I'll live vicariously through you.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I'll try to make the experience a really good one for you to enjoy.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
              X