No announcement yet.

Sonikaccord : 1985 Mazda RX-7 GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting busy I see. I'm not going to steal you glory, but I'm I'm over here doing the same to the dime. I'll update my progress when the time is right.

Aside from that, it's looking good and serious. 3 - 1/2 years from now, can you allow me to strap myself into the passenger seat, and take me from a ride through the curvy back roads in Georgia?
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
      I will applaud you on keeping the rotary as the easiest and possibly even cheaper option in the long run would be to swap, around here a decade or so ago you could find RX7's with low compression for under $500 because NOBODY wanted them then swaps made them a hot item just like the 240s. There are a couple channels on Youtube like Totally Random Hands and Fix it that show restoration of parts, i watch it because its amazing how much time and effort they dedicate to restoring old parts instead of simply replacing; they also remind me of Type G on here with his extreme polishing . I am leaving my job next week because i can no longer put up with the abuse and nobody up the ladder including HR is willing to get involved so i am putting all spending to a hault and reflect on where i go from here, i have people making offers but i dont want to make a quick decision that might put me in a similar or worse situation. Anyways good luck with the build.
      Thanks man! A V8 would be nice, can't even lie about that one, but I'd rather put it in the Bimmer than the 7. The rotary is a special engine, an exotic in it's own right.

I follow Restore It and it's insane the amount of effort and time these guys put in. I wanted to try to emulate that style of build one day, but ehhh maybe not.

My job has become a dead end, mentally at least. I'll probably try to squeeze out some of the education reimbursement policy stuff and get some programming certs so I can compete more with these kids coming out of school. Do what you can to survive first, then do what you can to live

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
        Getting busy I see. I'm not going to steal you glory, but I'm I'm over here doing the same to the dime. I'll update my progress when the time is right.

Aside from that, it's looking good and serious. 3 - 1/2 years from now, can you allow me to strap myself into the passenger seat, and take me from a ride through the curvy back roads in Georgia?
        Lol thanks for being considerate, till I get a 20B

We can head to Suches Loop, no problem!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Photobucket is being trashy again...

I decided to start pulling and removing wires for a light tuck...since I have no more emissions system, the car can be simplified greatly!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Man, if y'all could only see how I'm ruining this car I *might* just cough up the dough for their bandwidth package...or just switch hosting services.

Apparently the A/C parts for the FBs are worth gold, now my dash is out and I'm stripping out the evaporator. While I'm in there, I'm going to pull the wires out of the engine bay, simplify the harness, remove everything behind the dash unrelated to drive-ability, then reassemble. Luckily the carb is the only engine management system. I have chopped the OEM schematics to almost just brake lights and ignition wires. Instead of cutting the stock harness up, I'll run a lightweight custom harness, use LED bulbs for power saving (less current draw), and an aftermarket fuse panel.

Going for something like this, just with carpet:

I still have these gauges, so I'm going to use them:
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...highlight=defi
            They have all the necessary information I need. I'll grab a cheap GPS speedometer, some ABS plastic (or dry carbon sheet), and boom, instant custom gauge cluster. Well, I'll still need a fuel gauge...I'll figure that part out later. I'll also need an 80 mm tach to really complete the look.

Should look like this:

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

You know how you start a project and you just fall further and further into the hole?

All of the wiring is out of the engine bay and piled up on to the driver side floorboard in a complete clusterfck. The brake/clutch pedal bracket and brake booster is out of the car because Mazda decided it was good idea to run part of the wiring harness between the chassis and the bracket.

The ECU (Emissions Control Unit) is out of the car. The last part of the wiring is to remove the chassis portion and that's it. From there I can make the custom harness consisting of:
              Fuel
              Ignition
              Water Pump
              Starter
              Lights (including Turns)
              Horn
              Gauges (which has it's own wiring)

That's it! Simple right? Till it catches on fire lol.

Also, no new parts are coming for a while since the wife is currently not working. Gotta make sure the finances are straight first.

Edit: Found my Weatherpack crimper. All existing connectors will be removed and replaced with Weatherpacks for an OEM type harness.
              Last edited by sonikaccord; 08-24-2019, 05:21 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Stripped down the interior some more. I started to feel really bad about tearing this thing apart and gutting it. Why did I start to feel bad you ask? Because I realized that Mazda put in a lot of effort for this car NOT to be a gutted POS. There is sound deadening, acoustic barriers and thermal insulation all over the place!

So I'm still going to gut it, but, and this is a big BUT, I'm going to add some modern sound deadening and thermal treatment. I will race the car, but it's going to get driven on the street most of the time so the added weight is negligible. NA rotaries run hot and loud, it probably won't be a good idea to leave that stuff out anyway.

2, the stock pedal ratio is about 4:1 and stock MC size is 13/16". If I run manual brakes I could move the pushrod up 1" which would give me around 6:1 pedal ratio and bump up the MC to maybe 15/16 or 1". I have to do some hydraulic calculations to make sure that's a good feel. The bonus is, I believe I can run a Honed Performance BBE (brake booster eliminator) which opens up a bunch of Honda MC options.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                  Stripped down the interior some more. I started to feel really bad about tearing this thing apart and gutting it. Why did I start to feel bad you ask? Because I realized that Mazda put in a lot of effort for this car NOT to be a gutted POS. There is sound deadening, acoustic barriers and thermal insulation all over the place!

So I'm still going to gut it, but, and this is a big BUT, I'm going to add some modern sound deadening and thermal treatment. I will race the car, but it's going to get driven on the street most of the time so the added weight is negligible. NA rotaries run hot and loud, it probably won't be a good idea to leave that stuff out anyway.

2, the stock pedal ratio is about 4:1 and stock MC size is 13/16". If I run manual brakes I could move the pushrod up 1" which would give me around 6:1 pedal ratio and bump up the MC to maybe 15/16 or 1". I have to do some hydraulic calculations to make sure that's a good feel. The bonus is, I believe I can run a Honed Performance BBE (brake booster eliminator) which opens up a bunch of Honda MC options.
                  This is what makes it Sonikaccord's RX7 and not Mazda's RX7, once you start to modify a vehicle it starts to be YOUR car and design rather than the original manufaturer; think of YOUR vision for the car NOT what they designed it to do because best case scenario in about 50k miles that engine is gonna need re-sealing again anyway so why not give it your spin. Once that car is done i want you to be completely satisfied that you maybe not went in the right direction but that YOUR money was spent the way YOU chose rather than anyone elses expectations or input, the world would be very boring if everybody would be boring if everyone drove the same car built in the exact same way; to quote Ms Frizzle" take chances, make mistakes and get messy" so if you want to wrap that sob in shag and stick troll dolls to the dash then by all means do it son i will applaud you for doing you!

I always tell people to think how crazy Benjamin Franklin must of looked going out there with a damn kite(don't care if anybody disagrees or has 1k links to proof that it didnt happen) so be a f*****g crazy person and pursue your vision.
                  [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

You're making a lot of progress really fast.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I'll have a nice bridgy 13b ready when this motor pops. Then the 20b years later down the road. The vision is not clouded, trust me! This is for pure driving simplicity, doesn't mean it should be uncomfortable lol.

Ant, I try to do at least one thing a night maybe two things on the weekends. It adds up very quickly vs trying to do a whole project at once.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Ordered solid motor mounts and began stripping the rust off of the subframe and engine mount bracket. Might use Discord to host pictures and make this thread more appetizing.

Also found one LCA balljoint for $17 including taxes and shipping on Amazon. Rockauto has them for $28 plus shipping. Saved a good amount on that one to put toward other parts. I need to keep a running budget for this one. Gotta tally up all the receipts and stuffs.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Freeze plugs are in. This mod blocks the coolant from flowing into the intake manifold. Allows for quicker IM removal, cooler IATs, less chance for a leak.

Before:

After:

Discord pictures are f'ing huge. Taking them out for now lol
                          Edit:Pics shrunken
                          Last edited by sonikaccord; 09-22-2019, 06:13 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Sounds like a good mod to me!
                            ~Nick~
                            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I'm guessing you're applying knowledge picked up along the way for your build. I like stiff like this. I'm doing the same thing.

Great minds think alike.

This is like watching a good TV series.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

You know it! Trying to apply everything I know/learn in some way.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                                X